Thread

Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 173 of 326 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 3251
  1. 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Here is "Exhibit A", a visual findings video:
    https://youtu.be/s9gAPW9IQpU
    Refresh our collective understanding of the TG rules in place at the time. According to the above video, the setup used was the two bit converter, fed into a Gigaware composite to USB capture device into a laptop, playing out (ostensibly through a TV-out port?) into a VCR machine. This is by no means "direct feed". This is as indirect as you can possibly get, and opens up a myriad of editing/cheating/faking possibilities between the USB capture and the VCR playout.

Interestingly, this explains the underscan borders (laptop TV-out), incorrect rotation (you can rotate a video on a PC, easy enough), and possibly more. It also completely disqualifies the video as proof of anything legitimate, because it opens up too many avenues of tampering. The only way to "direct feed" to VHS is to directly connect a converter like the two bit board to a VCR machine. No laptop, no USB capture device.

It does not however explain the distinct MAME girders:
    Likes GibGirl, omega175, Von Krieger liked this post
  2. 03-13-2018, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muf View Post
    Refresh our collective understanding of the TG rules in place at the time. According to the above video, the setup used was the two bit converter, fed into a Gigaware composite to USB capture device into a laptop, playing out (ostensibly through a TV-out port?) into a VCR machine. This is by no means "direct feed". This is as indirect as you can possibly get, and opens up a myriad of editing/cheating/faking possibilities between the USB capture and the VCR playout.

Interestingly, this explains the underscan borders (laptop TV-out), incorrect rotation (you can rotate a video on a PC, easy enough), and possibly more. It also completely disqualifies the video as proof of anything legitimate, because it opens up too many avenues of tampering. The only way to "direct feed" to VHS is to directly connect a converter like the two bit board to a VCR machine. No laptop, no USB capture device.
    I don't think that the TG rules of the time are relevant. According to those, the video isn't even needed as Billy's score had dual referee verification. If it was a video submission, then yes, the video would be dismissed but it wasn't a video submission. As far as I've read, there doesn't even exist any video for the 1.06m score.
  3. 03-13-2018, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty bob View Post
    I don't think that the TG rules of the time are relevant. According to those, the video isn't even needed as Billy's score had dual referee verification. If it was a video submission, then yes, the video would be dismissed but it wasn't a video submission. As far as I've read, there doesn't even exist any video for the 1.06m score.
    The referee verification is by definition invalid because it was Todd Rogers, who is permanently banned from TG for entering fake scores (what this dispute is about - a fake score), and his girlfriend who is guilty by association. That leaves video evidence as the only remaining option to acquit Billy, which has now in my view at least been disqualified by the use of an unauthorised USB capture device and laptop in a supposedly "direct feed" processing chain.

Referees: suspect
    Electronic chain of custody: impaired
    MAME girder signature: damning

Final verdict: cheater.
    Likes francoisadt, omega175, hussotters liked this post
  4. 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muf View Post
    The referee verification is by definition invalid because it was Todd Rogers, who is permanently banned from TG for entering fake scores (what this dispute is about - a fake score), and his girlfriend who is guilty by association. That leaves video evidence as the only remaining option to acquit Billy, which has now in my view at least been disqualified by the use of an unauthorised USB capture device and laptop in a supposedly "direct feed" processing chain.

Referees: suspect
    Electronic chain of custody: impaired
    MAME girder signature: damning

Final verdict: cheater.
    I agree, about the referee. But there is no video evidence for the score being disputed. So where does that leave us? Basically, there's no good evidence anywhere at all that Billy scored 1.06m
  5. 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM
    There's at least three videos that capture the 1.062 playback set up Billy at the IVGHOF presentation. In the absence of a direct recording offered from Billy (whether digital file from the laptop or VHS copy they created) I anticipate that TG will review the existing videos for a determination.
  6. 03-13-2018, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumsteve View Post
    When you hook up a 1980s era Donkey Kong board to a 2000s era RGB to NTSC converter board and then run it to a 1970s technology VCR for recording ...
    ...The converter signal is sent solely to the VCR. ...
    ...The converter board does its job translating RGB to NTSC which goes to the VCR and is recorded as the finalized media.
    -
    Robert Childs
    According to Mr. Pineiro, "From the composite out you can capture it, now this was the computer they used to do the capturing, with the same software."

https://youtu.be/s9gAPW9IQpU?t=507

So which is it? Was the converter signal sent solely to the VCR? Or was the feed first captured to a computer?
    Thanks The Evener thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, Robert.F, portmanteau, timhett liked this post
  7. 03-13-2018, 11:14 AM
    I'm still waiting for Jace to show us the infamous 185k transition video from his tape analyzer. Why has it not been posted yet?
    Likes Snowflake, HiFred, Sqrlmonger liked this post
  8. 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jace to show us the infamous 185k transition video from his tape analyzer. Why has it not been posted yet?
    I want to bet that he will show us(crowd at banning,CA) this weekend at the Kong-Off. Jace knows how to time it for the most exposure.
  9. 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    I want to bet that he will show us(crowd at banning,CA) this weekend at the Kong-Off. Jace knows how to time it for the most exposure.
    That sounds suspiciously like how Billy does things.
    Thanks Sqrlmonger thanked this post
  10. just thowing this in

03-13-2018, 04:48 PM
    Just throing this in it came out yesterday.

Billy Mitchel DK controversy (hardware tests and experiments)

https://youtu.be/l32-QCMo-es :)
Page 173 of 326 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Join us