thread

Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 97 of 153 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 ... LastLast
  1. 02-11-2018, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumsteve View Post
    Why would any player, nearly eight years ago, desire to put a MAME computer in the back of a Nintendo cabinet and connect the output to a Sanyo monitor? No one playing MAME had approached the 1 million mark at that time. The accusation of using MAME doesn’t make sense. It would be too much work. Anyone who could reach 1 Million on MAME could undoubtedly reach MORE on an arcade machine. The alleged deception does not make sense. The risk would not present enough gain over the possibility of being discovered.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it is believed Billy had a PC inside of a arcade cabinet and played the game live, but that the tapes were made using MAME at a previous time and passed off as the live performance. There were no true witnesses to the games other than Todd/MD. Even Robert himself was home sleeping for the Dk Jr performance and just took their words when he came in, along with Todd saying "If they don't believe it all they have to do is look at the tape".

As for MAME vs Arcade, myself, along with a lot of others were very active in the DK community back then (8 years ago) and up into recently (last couple of years), MAME scores were higher than arcade, but that's beside the point.

But I know what's done is done, but given all of this technical converter boards descriptions, etc...why didn't he just put a camera over his shoulder like everyone else? Why is it every time Steve Wiebe made any type of public Donkey Kong performance for WR attempts, it was preannouced, documented through streaming and camera, and updates given online while he was playing the game.

I agree with others that if you demonstrate a standard DK arcade producing MAME frames with that NTSC converter, that would shed some light on this.
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
  2. 02-11-2018, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LMDAVE View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it is believed Billy had a PC inside of a arcade cabinet and played the game live, but that the tapes were made using MAME at a previous time and passed off as the live performance.

Correct. This appears to be a distraction technique or at the very least a refusal to look at the actual evidence.
  3. 02-11-2018, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumsteve View Post
    That concludes both the Layman and Technical explanation. Please take time to examine the intricacy and accuracy. I have a DK machine along with a two-bit score converter board,and VCR if you would like to see Billy play another game on this setup and see the results this can be arranged in my store in Fort Lauderdale .
    //www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2251-tbc-time-base.html
    I think we would absolutely like to see this setup in action. Direct feed recorded, along with video of Billy playing (or anyone rally) the machine live so we can compare both videos together.
    "May the Heavy Hand spare you" -- Datagod 1:19
    ~~ Strongest Punch on Twin Galaxies ~~

Likes Snowflake liked this post
  4. 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM
    Why doesn't someone just recreate what is being stated as what might cause this and find out instead of being internet scientists? If the type of capture card can be shared then the system can be recreated and tested in the real world.
    Likes Snowflake, datagod liked this post
  5. 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM
    Just wanted to add this to the discussion. I know it's already been mentioned a couple times but here is a video. This was the required verification process that TG had for whenever someone had a Donkey Kong record or submission. This is important because it shows you the extreme lengths a person had to go through to get a score verified. Obviously, with all of Billy's submissions he skipped over this entire process. That alone back in those days should of had his submission DQ'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5ct3nrRzA&t=11135s
    Likes Snowflake, datagod, timhett liked this post
  6. 02-11-2018, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    Why doesn't someone just recreate what is being stated as what might cause this and find out instead of being internet scientists? If the type of capture card can be shared then the system can be recreated and tested in the real world.
    If someone can provide me with the receipts I'll dutifully reconstruct the rig.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  7. 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo View Post
    Just wanted to add this to the discussion. I know it's already been mentioned a couple times but here is a video. This was the required verification process that TG had for whenever someone had a Donkey Kong record or submission. This is important because it shows you the extreme lengths a person had to go through to get a score verified. Obviously, with all of Billy's submissions he skipped over this entire process. That alone back in those days should of had his submission DQ'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5ct3nrRzA&t=11135s
    Well, back in either 2008-2009 there was too much skepticism over 1,000,000 pt DK games submitted by tape that TG put a ceiling on Donkey Kong recording submissions. Anything over 1 Million had to be done live only (with 2 TG refs present). This aggravated a lot of us that were close to getting 1 million but didnt have the venue of trying live. The solution about a year or less later was this special set of recording rules that was completely overblown, but we all ended up just doing it because those were the rules and basically was told if you wanted to submit a tape you had to go through these extensive checks just for DK...not any other arcade game.

But....Billy's game was done live. So, these recording rules didn't apply.
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
  8. 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    I wonder if Ben Heck is busy?
  9. 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM
    Also Robert Childs: "now the Donkey Kong record has been broken, taking the Donkey Kong board out of the game and putting the Donkey Kong Jr board back in"... proceeds to take DK Jr board out and put it back in. Later removes incriminating audio of this explanation from the video. Yes, very unbiased and trustworthy witness.

Wonder what his defense is for that (surely not caused by a 70s vcr)? Or the incredible RNG on each of Billy's runs?
    Thanks Fendersonia thanked this post
    Likes maxxcat2018, Mitch Mitchell, timhett liked this post
  10. 02-11-2018, 07:38 PM
    Don't think this one has been posted yet. Roy Shildt and Todd Rogers discussing Billy's Scores
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v3lltxquS2Q
    Thanks Robert.F thanked this post
    Likes Robert.F, Marcade liked this post
Page 97 of 153 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 ... LastLast
Join us