Atari 2600 / VCS - Vanguard - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 1,042,570 - william rosa

Is this a valid score?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Vanguard - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 1,042,570 - william rosa

09-08-2017, 04:22 PM
    Vzaar Video Url:

NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3031
    Rules
    No continue permitted.
    Submission Message
    Actual run is around 4:35, settings shown at end, however track rules are totally wrong as setting depend on a combination of both difficulty switches not just one switch. Chalk this up to another track being made by someone who knows how idea how the game works. Also the difficulty switches dont control difficulty but merely shooting control preferences, anyway, I have mine set to BB which is presumably what the rules would've been had the track writer known both switches matter.
    Likes Marcade, Rogerpoco, datagod liked this post
  2. 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM
    tagging @Marcade
    Roy was Right
  3. 09-08-2017, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    tagging @Marcade
    WOO HOO!!! Roll baby roll. And great focus with the last ship!!!

So glad you had help in your chat for the score shout out. Do you know how upset I would been for you, if you were just under the goal, not knowing ???

Another thing, the game scores in 10's. Isnt it amazing how convenient that Todd Rogers scored exactly 999,990?
    During my rollover, (which i didnt expect) I was like "huh, wait a minute, whats going on here" ???
    Makes you wonder how high he really got? Im guessing maybe 1.5M or over 2M, but of course we will never know.

You will need to interview him again with yet another mystery score of his.

Ah, the juices are rushing back to me again on Vanguard . There will be no rescue dog on my lap!!! :)
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
    Likes nads, Rogerpoco, datagod, RaGe liked this post
  4. 09-09-2017, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    WOO HOO!!! Roll baby roll. And great focus with the last ship!!!

So glad you had help in your chat for the score shout out. Do you know how upset I would been for you, if you were just under the goal, not knowing ???

Another thing, the game scores in 10's. Isnt it amazing how convenient that Todd Rogers scored exactly 999,990?
    During my rollover, (which i didnt expect) I was like "huh, wait a minute, whats going on here" ???
    Makes you wonder how high he really got? Im guessing maybe 1.5M or over 2M, but of course we will never know.

You will need to interview him again with yet another mystery score of his.

Ah, the juices are rushing back to me again on Vanguard . There will be no rescue dog on my lap!!! :)
    I'm not gonna speculate on anything with Todd's score, however I will answer your question from a neutral math point of view.

All point rewards in the game are multiples of 100, with two exception. The mists are worth 50, docking the with the keplus snake is 1090, and the harleys are 70. What this means, is that the last digit is always zero, but any other digit can be any number, therefore yes, the score is possible. However, it would be very tough to aim for, consider for example if your current score is 999,980, since nothing is worth 10 points you'd have no choice but to over shoot. Also, you cant just choose ahead of time to just shoot a fixed number of harleys due to need to kill enemies for fuel as well as the need to kill enemies to pass a phrase, choosing to kill a fixed number of one type of enemy is more difficult than it sounds. There's basically only a 1/10 chance of even having the option to get 999,990, and if you first manage to get the 1/10 chance of happening you still have to just happen to die at that exact moment. I don't know how to calculate the odds of dying at the exact moment but I assume them to be pretty low.

All that said, an improbable score is not an impossible score. Such a value is definitely possible.
    Roy was Right
    Likes Marcade, Rogerpoco, datagod liked this post
  5. 09-09-2017, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    There's basically only a 1/10 chance of even having the option to get 999,990, and if you first manage to get the 1/10 chance of happening you still have to just happen to die at that exact moment. I don't know how to calculate the odds of dying at the exact moment but I assume them to be pretty low.

All that said, an improbable score is not an impossible score. Such a value is definitely possible.
    THIS !!! ;)
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  6. 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM
    My experience with this game was, I think, on the 5200.

Good Job, hope you guys have fun with this one!!!

Oooh. Just looked.

I have this cart!
    ;)
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  7. 09-09-2017, 02:29 PM
    I watch some of this live on twitch... very impressive. Accepted!!!
    If history repeats itself (Space Invaders 1A) Marc will have an answer for this real soon.
    Likes Rogerpoco, Marcade, Snowflake, nads, RaGe liked this post
  8. 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    THIS !!! ;)
    So another game that rolls over but hey you know nothing to see here. Great job Snowflake...
    Games are meant to be fun....
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  9. 09-09-2017, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GregDeg View Post
    I watch some of this live on twitch... very impressive. Accepted!!!
    If history repeats itself (Space Invaders 1A) Marc will have an answer for this real soon.
    you should've said hi. It's always nice to be in the prescense of the Greg
    Roy was Right
    Likes GregDeg, Rogerpoco, datagod liked this post
  10. 09-09-2017, 04:24 PM
    Great run. I have a question though. When you died the score was 1,040,570 points. After a short while the game continued in demo mode and then the score jumped to 1,042,570. Which score is correct.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us