The Gaming Documentaries

User Tag List

1. The Gaming Documentaries

09-08-2017, 08:51 PM
    I just finished watching a documentary about, of all things, a late 1980's TV show called "G.L.O.W.", that all-female wrestling show that was on TV every Saturday morning.

The film was surprisingly well done !! But the best part, and this is why I am writing this thread, was that the final third of the film was a "reunion" of most of the performers in a California hotel, and even three performers who are currently wheelchair bound attended. They talked about what they had done since the show and exchanged anecdotes from the past.

Thinking back to the "Chasing Ghosts" documentary, what should have been included in the film and which was not even filmed by the director, was the lunch that we all had across the street from Funspot at what used to be "J.T.'s Barbecue". Billy was kind of "holding court" at the largest table with Walter and about ten other gamers who were in the film for that shoot, while I was at a nearby table with if I remember correctly the two "Berzerk" players and the girlfriend that Leo Daniels brought for the trip.

But what would have truly been worth including was when we all returned to ACAM for some gaming, and this is worth sharing.

For starters, the producer and director told us all not to let anyone else know that we would be there at ACAM that weekend as the shooting schedule was extremely tight and having a packed crowd of gamers was not something that they wanted to deal with. However, when we were back at ACAM one of the New Hampshire local gamers showed up (I forget which) and then the word got out that we were all there, and within an hour the Crams showed up, Donald Hayes and quite a few others.

In tow were their copies of the TG Book of Records for autograph purposes as this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get the signatures from so many classic era gamers that typically never attended gaming events in the here and now.

Also, and I wish this was filmed, was the meeting of the legends on "Centipede"...Don Hayes versus Ben Gold on the 3-minute boardset which Gary allowed to be installed. The best player from the 80's versus the best player from nearly 20 years later. Moments like this is what would have been well-received had they been included in the film.

Anyway, that's what came to mind when I was watching this documentary...which, if you liked that show, you can purchase from the following website -
    Thanks N/A thanked this post
  2. 09-08-2017, 09:16 PM
    A few days back I watched half of Joysticks before having to turn it off. I can't say that I would recommend it, though I suspect Cohen would like it. ;)

Name:  aajoy.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  42.2 KB

Sorry... no neat historical CAG story follows either. :D

Likes Marcade, RaGe liked this post
  3. 09-08-2017, 09:35 PM
    I won't say who, but someone I know from the gaming hobby regards "Joysticks" as the greatest film ever made...seriously !!
  4. 09-09-2017, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I won't say who, but someone I know from the gaming hobby regards "Joysticks" as the greatest film ever made...seriously !!
    The image clip above was from Amazon and contains the average user rating of 4.1 out of 10. Personally, I think the 4.1 is generous, though again I only watched half the movie so perhaps it finished strong...

There have been many great films made over the years.

To each their own I suppose.

While not a movie, I've got this queued up to watch next:

Name:  aastories.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  52.5 KB

5. 09-09-2017, 06:13 AM
    G.L.O.W. was awesome! I actually haven't seen many gaming documentaries. I'll be honest - I had to walk away from Chasing Ghosts when Leo Daniels' segment was on. It made me sad.
  6. The Gaming Documentaries

09-10-2017, 05:57 AM
    Here are some of my favorites

Name:  untitled2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  655.4 KB
    Todd Friedman
    Staff Writer - Old School Gamer Magazine
    Likes HectorTelloc liked this post
  7. 09-10-2017, 12:22 PM
    Isn't it funny how "The Wizard" with Fred Savage never seems to make the list of gamers' favourite gaming-related movies :)

A very under-rated film is the one made about Bill Carlton's "Missile Command" marathon pursuit called "High Score: The Movie" (a film by Jeremy Mack)'s usually available on for subscribers most of the time.
    Likes jerky, HectorTelloc liked this post
  8. 09-11-2017, 07:48 AM
    Ahoy released this recently and it is a really good watch
    "What do you mean how? Because I'm Billy Mitchell" -Billy
    Likes bensweeneyonbass liked this post
Join us