https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=9219
    Rules
    ROMSet: Barrier
    Lives: 3
    Demo Sounds: ON
    Unknown: Off [All]
    Special Rules: None
    Submission Message
    Such a simple-looking game, but the enemies are so unpredictable. This one took quite a few attempts, including a game where I scored 670 on the first ship (or triangle?), but couldn't break 680 total with two more!

I probably should have scored higher with this run, but after so many attempts, when I got 740 with the first ship, I just wanted to be sure I didn't choke the record away, so I played fast and loose to beat 784. I can see why that score lasted almost 10 years both here and at MARP - this was a tough one!

Thanks for reviewing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, HugDD liked this post
  2. 11-18-2017, 09:04 AM
    If it's tough to make out the details in the video (gotta love blue vector graphics on a black screen), watch it in full screen. Also, for others interested in playing, entering your initials is a bit weird compared to other games - you change the letters with the arrow keys, and lock in the letter selection by pressing the "A" key.
  3. 11-18-2017, 06:11 PM
    Great score !! Dang shame about the brief final life. Next time :)
    Thanks JasonV91 thanked this post
  4. 11-18-2017, 06:23 PM
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    The following tests and reports are neither exhaustive nor definitive,
    and should not be assumed as such in order to verify authenticity of a submission.

Starting check on Sun 19/11/2017 at 14:12:26.52

Zip test
    Code:
    Zip:

7-Zip [64] 16.04 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-10-04

Scanning the drive for archives:
    1 file, 40798 bytes (40 KiB)

Testing archive: C:\MAME\ALLexes\inp\MARP\JRV-barrier-796.zip
    --
    Path = C:\MAME\ALLexes\inp\MARP\JRV-barrier-796.zip
    Type = zip
    Physical Size = 40798

Everything is Ok

Size:       78005
    Compressed: 40798
    RAR:

Zip list
    Code:

1 file, 40798 bytes (40 KiB)

Listing archive: C:\MAME\ALLexes\inp\MARP\JRV-barrier-796.zip

--
    Path = C:\MAME\ALLexes\inp\MARP\JRV-barrier-796.zip
    Type = zip
    Physical Size = 40798

----------
    Path = JRV-barrier-796.inp
    Folder = -
    Size = 78005
    Packed Size = 40626
    Modified = 2017-11-18 17:57:33
    Created = 2017-11-19 04:31:04
    Accessed = 2017-11-19 04:31:04
    Attributes = A
    Encrypted = -
    Comment = 
    CRC = 398291CB
    Method = Deflate
    Host OS = FAT
    Version = 20
    Volume Index = 0

MAME Major Version 185

What MAME thinks:
    Code:
    Input file: barrier.inp
    INP version 3.5
    Created Sat Nov 18 17:50:07 2017

Recorded using 0.185W (wolf185)
    Total playback frames: 16974
    Average recorded speed: 100%
    Average speed: 100.00% (381 seconds)

Source driver:
    barrier cinemat.cpp
    Generic Info for game:
    Code:
    ROM set changed: no
    0.106-0.191: barrier - "Barrier"

Resolution, 0.106-0.191: vector @ 38.000000Hz

TG Game Entry: https://www.twingalaxies.com/game_detail.php?gameid=4039&platformid=46
    Rules, Points: https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=9219
    INP dump not relevant

MAME Info
    MAMEInfo.dat entries: barrier and cinemat.cpp
    Code:
    MAMEInfo.dat entries for:
    barrier
    cinemat.cpp
    ----
    0.35b6 [Aaron Giles, Zonn Moore, Jeff Mitchell, Neil Bradley]

Artwork available

Samples required

WIP:

- 0.147u4: hap fixed manufacturer in Barrier.

- 0.147u2: hap added Barrier color overlay.

-  7th November 2007: Mr. Do - The old artwork for Barrier was based off of a lo-res flyer, so we got a good scan of that one, too. Only thing, though, is the photo on the flyer was of the cabinet straight on, and the artwork is at about a 45-degree angle, so the screen never really displayed correctly on it. It's been given a bump up in quality, and stretched to line up more accurately with the game screen. Not perfect, but about as good as we're going to get unless we find the real thing.

-  4th August 2006: Mr. Do - Converted Barrier artwork from MAME.net.

- 0.87u3: Aaron Giles added sound to Barrier, Star Hawk, War of the Worlds and Boxing Bugs (note that samples don't exist yet, but I'm working with Zonn Moore to get them for everything except Barrier). Added Samples sound (playrdie, playmove and enemmove.wav).

- 0.37b2: Added 5x 'Unknown' dipswitch.

- 0.35b6: Aaron Giles, Zonn Moore, Jeff Mitchell and Neil Bradley added 'Barrier' (Vectorbeam 1979).

-  7th March 1999: Brad Oliver has finally sent in the Cinematronics vector games driver with working support for Space Wars, Barrier, Star Castle, Tailgunner, Rip Off, Armor Attack, War of the Worlds, Warrior, Star Hawk and Solar Quest.

PLAY INSTRUCTIONS:

- The player attempts to reach the top of the grid without being hit by the computer enemies. When the top is reached, you scroll 'around' to the bottom and begin again.

Other Emulators:

* AAE

* Cinelator

* CINEMU

* Retrocade

Recommended Games (Maze 5):

Barrier

Spectar

Targ

Pulsar

Solar Fox

Space Bugger

Ten Spot (Survivor)

Ixion

Net Wars

Pickin'

Zeroize (DECO Cassette)

Motos

Raiders5

Opa Opa

Raimais

Metal Freezer

Romset: 5 kb / 8 files / 3.97 zip

----
    0.35b6 [Aaron Giles]

TODO:

- Look into bad sample latency

NOTES:

- Driver by Aaron Giles and special thanks to Neil Bradley, Zonn Moore, and Jeff Mitchell of the Retrocade Alliance

Bugs:

- speedfrk, wotw, wotwc: Incomplete sound samples implementation. TrevEB (ID 03720)

- All games in cinemat.c: Game watchdog resets when stepping through code in debug mode. outerworld (ID 03099)

WIP:

- 0.189: Added new 74LS259 device [AJR].

- 0.155: Moved audio functions to the driver class [Osso].

- 0.152: Added layout\wotw.lay.

- 0.151: Removed SOUND_RESET legacy MACRO (audio\cinemat.c) [Osso].

- 0.149u1: Modernized 'Cinematronics CPU' core [Wilbert Pol].

- 0.147u2: Changed layout\ho20ffff.lay to tailg.lay and layout\voffff20.lay to sundance.lay. Added layout\barrier.lay.

- 0.147: Use SOUND_START/RESET instead of MACHINE_START/RESET [Miodrag Milanovic].

-  3rd September 2012: Atariscott - Here is a little piece of arcade history that I picked up recently. It is a complete miracle that this thing has survived. The story is slightly complicated but here it goes. A friend of mine was looking for a Tektronix 8560 to help someone read some data from an 8 inch floppy of arcade source code from 1980. He needed this unit, because the game was developed with this hardware. He searched eBay and he eventually found a selling, with a lot of 5 units for sale. In the pictures of the auctions were lots of vintage computer parts and floppy discs. He won the auction and paid the seller. He had a friend that was local to the seller pick up the items and they delivered it to him a couple months later. When he started going through the boxes, he noticed some floppy discs with familiar names on them. Solar Quest, Space Wars, Hovercraft, and a whole bunch of others. He had stumbled upon one of the Cinematronics development systems and a floppy disc archive. There are hundreds of 8 inch floppy discs in 4 bankers boxes. What is truly amazing, is that this pickup was was a complete fluke. The eBay seller had picked up these items at a storage unit auction in the San Diego area. He had no idea what he had stumbled upon. The original auction never mentioned the Terak system and did not have any pictures of it either. Also, if my friend had not been looking for a Tektronix 8560, during the week that this auction ran, this stuff may have ended up in a non-arcade collectors hands. It may have even ended up in a dumpster if the auction had ended with no bidders. Not many people are looking for a Tektronix 8560... I have just started going through the discs, but there are some amazing things on the few I have looked at.

- 0.124u1: Added layout\armora.lay.

- 0.123u4: Aaron Giles fixed CCPU and QB-3 to no longer rely on cpu_scalebyfcount(). Fixed busted timing in the CCPU core. Changed watchdog to count internally rather than using external watchdog support. Altered CCPU to accept interrupt signals from the driver. Updated clocks in the cinemat driver to be derived from the clock crystal. Zsolt Vasvari updated Cinematronics driver to use PORT_CHANGED. Combined memory maps where applicable. Changed CCPU CPU1 clock speed to 4980750 Hz.

- 0.113u1: Zsolt Vasvari fixed the Cinematronics CCPU games to use the newer video timing system.

- 0.106u10: Replaced layout\sundance.lay with voffff20.lay and layout\tailg.lay with ho20ffff.lay.

- 0.106u8: Added layout\solarq.lay, starcas.lay, sundance.lay and tailg.lay.

- 0.101: Aaron Giles added new generic macros to state.h to make it simpler to do save states. Use state_save_register_global(var) to register a driver-related global variable. Use state_save_register_item(module, instance, var) to register other variables with specific module and instance names. Converted the MCR and Cinematronics vector saves over to this. As a result, save states for games will be incompatible with prior versions of MAME.

- 0.100u4: Aaron Giles added save state support to the Cinematronics vector sound hardware. Marked all the games in cinemat.c with GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE. Converted the Cinematronics driver over to using the new memory_configure_bank calls.

- 0.99u5: Buddabing added save state support to the Cinematronics vector games.

- 0.87u3: Cinematronics Vector driver update [Aaron Giles]. Completely rewrote the CCPU core to be much simpler and follow MAME semantics. Rewrote the CCPU disassembler to use the "official" syntax. Now require the CCPU PROMs for all the games. Rewrote sound routines for all the games based on schematics and Zonn's documentation. Added star twinkle effects (not really visible without my future update to vector.c). Cleaned up and fixed input ports for all the games. Added CCPU proms ($0, 100, 120, 140, 160 and 180).

- 11th October 2004: Aaron Giles - I started looking into adding QB-3 to the Cinematronics vector game driver when I realized that I was going to have to make changes to the CCPU core to actually get the game up and running. I went to do that and remembered what a horrible hack the existing code was, so I decided to rewrite it (and the disassembler) from scratch. Once that was done, I went back and rewrote pretty much the entire Cinematronics vector driver as well, fixing several input issues, colors in several of the games, and adding sound hooks for most of the remaining games that don't already have sample support. Right now we don't have samples for these games, but I'm working with Zonn Moore to get them for as many games as we can.

- 0.78u2: Fixed cpu1 rom loading.

- 0.61: Changed palettesize to 32768 colors.

- 24th April 2002: Mathis Rosenhauer added several new ROM sets to the Cinematronics vector hardware driver.

- 0.58: Added includes\cinemat.h.

- 0.54: Fixed access violation in tailg, starcas, starcas1, sundance and solarq.

- 0.37b9: The CCPU core is now a full 16-bit core. Appropriate changes to the drivers that use them have already been made. This fixes the input ports on the Cinematronics games [Aaron Giles].

- 0.37b6: Fixed cpu1 rom loading in all games.

- 0.37b2: Changed palettesize from 256 to 33024 colors.

- 17th April 2000: Zsolt Vasvari did some cleanups to the Cinematronics driver, fixed a 16-bit bug in the artwork functions.

- 0.36b14: Fixed the internal orientation of the Cinematronics games, if you use artwork files for those games you'll have to manually flip them (or redownload).

- 0.36b5: The Cinematronics driver now can handle games with backdrop + overlay. The pngs have to be renamed: backdrop: drivername + b.png and overlay: drivername + o.png [Mathis Rosenhauer].

- 0.35: Added sndhrdw\cinemat.c.

- 0.35b8: Changed CCPU clock speed to 5MHz in all Cinematronics games. Note: The CPU speed is somewhat arbitrary as the cycle timings in the core are fixed at 1 cycle per opcode, which is probably wrong.

- 20th March 1999: Brad Oliver has updated the Cinematronics driver, for example Solar Quest now loads an overlay if present.

- 19th March 1999: Nicola has fixed Cinematronics games from locking up.

-  7th March 1999: Brad Oliver has finally sent in the Cinematronics vector games driver with working support for Space Wars, Barrier, Star Castle, Tailgunner, Rip Off, Armor Attack, War of the Worlds, Warrior, Star Hawk and Solar Quest.

- 10th January 2000: Mathis Rosenhauer fixed the Cinematronics games' mirroring.

- 0.35b6: Added cinemat.c driver and vidhrdw\cinemat.c. Aaron Giles (MAME Driver). Special thanks to Neil Bradley, Zonn Moore, and Jeff Mitchell of the Retrocade Alliance.

----
    Human interpretation:
    Time calc: 17:50:07 + (16974 frames ÷ 38Hz @ 100% [7:26.68]) ≈ 17:57:34 vs zip mod 17:57:33 [please allow for timezone differences]

Name:  0003.png
Views: 83
Size:  9.4 KBName:  0005.png
Views: 86
Size:  2.1 KB
    Likes JJT_Defender, HugDD liked this post
  5. 11-19-2017, 10:19 AM
    Accepted Congratulations Jason a World Record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier_(video_game)
    In this very basic game, players move a small triangle around on the grid, while attempting to avoid the diamonds that are also moving around on the grid. Reaching the end of the grid teleports the player back to the front of the grid to gain points. The game is played on a 3x9 grid that is displayed at angle to make it appear to be in 3-D.

Game Starts at :12 of the video
    Name:  image.png
Views: 77
Size:  251.9 KB

Game Settings & MAME Analyst by Terencew In Reply 4
Views: 82
Size:  219.0 KB

M.A.M.E. - Barrier - Points - 796 Final Score is at 7:35-39 of the video Game Initials JRV

Views: 80
Size:  259.5 KBName:  image.png
Views: 84
Size:  201.8 KB

1st Life Lost is at 5:18 of the video Score 740
Views: 81
Size:  252.1 KB
    2nd Life Lost is at 6:11 of the video Score 771
Views: 78
Size:  252.4 KB
    3rd Final Life Lost is at 7:35 of the video Score 796

JJT_Defender Johnny Lightning World Champion & Worlds Best & # 1 Racer, 1st Place on the Modern Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 2,767 Victories only 36 Loses in Best of 5 to 7 against the Best Players in 43 Cities, & 7 Years

My Nick Name Road Runner

Created by Raw Thrills & Owned By Eugene Jarvis Vid Kidz Williams,Midway & Creator of Cruis'n Series & Defender Many More.
    These are Just Stats for my Record Keeping Log been their More than a Year

Submission Points 14,249 + 60 for Sponsor = 14,309

I JJT Johnny Lightning Correctly Adjudicated 14,309 Video Game Submissions at .9978% Percent Accuracy

Adjudicated Video Game Submissions I JJT Johnny Lightning Got Wrong a Total of 29 in Twin Galaxy's Adjudication Archives Accepted, Rejected & Cancel Archives

2 Video Game Submissions were Over Turned in Disputed

Thanks JasonV91, Gregrrr thanked this post
  6. 11-19-2017, 09:22 PM
    Congratulations. Nice score, dude.

I hate those times when you lose all your lives in a clump, but with a game like this, it's probably hard to avoid. I was gripping my armrests going "DONT PRESS YOUR LUCK, JASON!" when you had your first death haha.
    Thanks JasonV91 thanked this post
  7. 11-20-2017, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregrrr View Post
    Congratulations. Nice score, dude.

I hate those times when you lose all your lives in a clump, but with a game like this, it's probably hard to avoid. I was gripping my armrests going "DONT PRESS YOUR LUCK, JASON!" when you had your first death haha.
    Thanks Gregor - I definitely went one keystroke too far on that first death, that was avoidable, but I was playing with house money at that point. This game it's very easy to lose all your lives in a clump. It's funny how we can still get anxious watching a performance even when we already know the outcome, but I know just what you mean! :)
    Likes Gregrrr liked this post
Join us