Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Pole Position II - Test Track [Points] - Player: Jeff Peters - Score: 81,870

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Pole Position II - Test Track [Points] - Player: Jeff Peters - Score: 81,870

11-20-2017, 11:00 PM
    Arcade - Pole Position II - Test Track [Points]
    Score Track
    RulesSettings of 8-Toggle Switch on Pole Position II CPU PCB (at 9L for Atari Boards or 9E for Namco Boards)
    1 = OFF
    2-5 = ON
    6 = OFF
    7-8 = ON
    Settings of 8-Toggle Switch on Pole Position CPU PCB (at 9JA for Atari Boards or 7E for Namco Boards)
    1-5 = OFF
    6 = ON
    7-8 = OFF
    Note: The above Dip Switches, when properly designated, will give the following Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings, used for this title;
    Preliminary Game Time: 90 Seconds
    Preliminary Rank: D
    Extended Rank: D [75 - 41 - 53 - 53 - 53]
    Number of Laps: 5
    Speed: High Speed
    Player NameJeff Peters
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodReferee
    Verification Date1986-05-24
    Disputed Score81,870 (Rank 1)
    Disputed Byredelf
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleScore was done on the wrong settings. Was most likely done on default settings giving the player an additional 10 seconds of time which is 200 points for each second which totals around 2000 points.

The second place score is over 2k points away also.
    Also see my attempt for video evidence of why I created this dispute. I didn't have the perfect run but it was a decent run. The race is 4 laps long, having to make up 10 seconds or 2000 points of time. You would have to run each lap faster by around 2.5 seconds. My average best laps in a race come in at mid 47 seconds. There just isn't any way to have a lap in the low 45's, I had the perfect set up, all cars on the right hand side of the track and I couldn't even break 47 with turbo and some good cornering. If I would have had a great 3rd lap and not lost the 3 seconds, (47 sec lap time instead of the 50) I would have been just inside of 2000 points or 10 seconds away from this score.
    Thanks Lauren R. Tyler thanked this post
    Likes Lauren R. Tyler liked this post
  2. 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM
    And as best as I can determine the amount of cars you can pass is fixed at a max of 192. I've gone through a bunch of runs and noticed that slower or faster times seem to have around the same amount of cars passed from 190-192. So passing more cars will not make up the difference either, it just has to be the settings of the dips giving that extra 10 seconds.
    Thanks Lauren R. Tyler thanked this post
    Likes Lauren R. Tyler liked this post
  3. 11-21-2017, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redelf
    Score was done on the wrong settings
    How ironic that the pot is calling the kettle black!

4. 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM
    This is definitely a valid dispute. I've played Pole Position for many years, and I can tell you a score like that, especially on the Test Track, would require more laps than the default setting.
    Lauren R. Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
    Thanks redelf thanked this post
  5. 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM
    So I went back and reviewed some more video of various runs. The car count is usually between 188-196. When the cars align on the right hand making for an easy 1-2 laps you don't pass as many cars. When the cars are allowed to be in groups of 4 2 x 2 on the road and close together you get to pass more cars, but your time is usually slower as you cant get around them without going off road.
  6. 11-23-2017, 10:27 AM
    I'm putting up $2,000 to anyone that can beat this score. You have 2 weeks from now to submit a score to this track, it doesn't have to beat the record. You just have to submit to show that you are going to try for the bounty. After 2 weeks if you haven't submitted a score on this track you will not be able to go after this bounty. Entry into bounty ends on Dec 7th 12 noon Pacific Standard time. You have till the end of 2017 to claim bounty. Time ends on Dec 31 2018 11:59 Pacific Time. Game must be done on the correct settings blah blah blah, game must be submitted to TG before the deadline and once accepted will be paid. Must be done on the US version of the game. Game must be done on the same machine that you registered on. I have the right to amend these rules so that flaws or abuses of rules can be eliminated and corrected. Trying to cheat or circumvent the spirit of this challenge will disqualify you.
    Likes Barra, QAOP Spaceman, Fly liked this post
  7. 11-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Um Dec 31 2017 11:59 Pacific Time is the correct time period for when this bounty ends
  8. 11-26-2017, 03:02 PM
    So is anyone thinking about going after this bounty, or is the evidence enough to make you not even try.
  9. 11-27-2017, 12:31 PM
    I know nothing about this game, but I've yet to see redelf make any mistakes on whats possible. I disagree with him on opinion things like domino man and leeching, but thats different. To date I havent seen redelf make any mistake about technical details.

Blind voting a yes since we're not voting on score just voting that its worth david's time to look at. I kinda feel based on his track record anything redelf submits deserves attention from david regardless of votes.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
    Thanks redelf thanked this post
  10. 12-07-2017, 11:41 PM
    Ok so the bounty is now off the table, no takers. However I am in contact with Jeff and he is trying to get access to a Pole Position 2 machine. He said he is going to play again and provide more evidence on his score and show that it was done on the correct settings. I'm looking forward to his evidence so that we can put this dispute to bed one way or the other.
    Likes Fly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us