Klax arcade record video?

1. Klax arcade record video?

02-28-2018, 08:46 AM
    Does anyone have a copy of Paul Hornitzky's 2012 Klax arcade record that would be willing to post it? I had asked about this some years ago (it might have been on the old TG forums) and someone got back to me saying they had a copy of it but would need to find it. The main reason I'm asking is that it appears this record hasn't been closely scrutinized and I personally have serious doubts about it given how difficult it has been for me to get even 1 million on the stated settings (moderate with difficulty ramping on).
  2. 02-28-2018, 11:14 AM
    I don’t know anything about Klax but I’ve met Paul and know him well and he’s one of the nicest most standup guys I know.

If you check out his other records you’ll see he’s great at a lot of different games.
    Likes Fly, Max liked this post
  3. 02-28-2018, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    I don’t know anything about Klax but I’ve met Paul and know him well and he’s one of the nicest most standup guys I know.

If you check out his other records you’ll see he’s great at a lot of different games.
    OK. I did not mean to imply he cheated, just that I find 2.8M+ on the listed settings (moderate, DR on) quite implausible and would like to see the video for myself.
  4. 02-28-2018, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skquinn View Post
    OK. I did not mean to imply he cheated, just that I find 2.8M+ on the listed settings (moderate, DR on) quite implausible and would like to see the video for myself.
    Fair enough

Maybe @OOO or @wflimusic can chime in here
  5. 02-28-2018, 05:05 PM
    Just as a comparison, the settings for the MAME track are the same as arcade, and the top MAME score at TG is 6.4M. There are also a few 2M+ scores. Pretty sure I got 2M in the Yolympics one year (2016? can't seem to find the tournaments page any more)... I tend to save most of my INPs... yep, 2.27M

So an arcade score of sub 3M raises no eyebrows here.
    Thanks Barra thanked this post
    Likes Fly, pwnasaurus liked this post
  6. 02-28-2018, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terencew View Post
    Just as a comparison, the settings for the MAME track are the same as arcade, and the top MAME score at TG is 6.4M. There are also a few 2M+ scores. Pretty sure I got 2M in the Yolympics one year (2016? can't seem to find the tournaments page any more)... I tend to save most of my INPs... yep, 2.27M

So an arcade score of sub 3M raises no eyebrows here.
    I'm going to have to look at some of these and see how they were done. These are all with DR turned on?

As a reference, today most of my attempts were starting on 1 then warping to 16 (for short, 1-16). I can get through 1 to 5, put up a decent amount of points after 16, but then the beginning of level 17 it's literally raining tiles (one every half second) making it effectively unplayable. On my blog entry that I posted, I suspected that instead of being based on time like the operator's manual says, DR kicks in based on number of waves completed. Or is there some trick to keeping DR from kicking in like that so quickly?
  7. 03-03-2018, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skquinn View Post
    I personally have serious doubts about it given how difficult it has been for me to get even 1 million on the stated settings (moderate with difficulty ramping on).
    Here's some more high score info for you.......

Well, Jimmy played maybe 10 or so games of
    Klax on Sunday, beginning his quest shortly after noon. After playing off and on, and taking a break or two, he topped last year's score, with a confirmed CAGDC wr mark of 3,513,557 points. The only other score I've found is a 3,205,000 mark by a Leong Su Chin, noted in the first TG wr book. For some reason, it's not included in books 2 or 3, or on the current TG scoreboard. Hopefully it's a clerical oversight, versus another TG 'pulled' score, as Jimmy's shown that 3.5M is possible, and he has an all-time high of 5.8M (all his marks are, of course, done on one coin).

Here's the thread it came from............

https://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,1948.0.html

Good luck.

john

8. 03-03-2018, 10:36 PM
    Sorry about the formatting, this site isn't working as it should.

john

9. 03-04-2018, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    Sorry about the formatting, this site isn't working as it should.

john

It's all good. I doubt video exists of this even higher score you mention but if it does, that's another one I'd like to watch.
    Last edited by skquinn; 03-04-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: fix word order
  10. 03-06-2018, 09:35 AM
    Not sure what settings these are on as I avoided this game like the plague during this tourney but you can view a 4.7m score here.

http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/...olympics2/main
    Currently Playing: Front Page Sports baseball '98 (PC) (using custom built 2017 rosters)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us