Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Paperboy - Points [Grand Slam Score] - Player: Phil Britt - Score: 1,136,435

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. 04-22-2018, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater View Post
    This would settle it:
    Go through each level, calculate how many papers are given (x) times highest point target (+) flower scores for Mon Wed Fri Sun (+) papers for the 3 to 5 lives that can be scrubbed to end with 5 lives (+) bonus lives score.
    That would be the absolutely highest amount of points possible on the game, might be close but I don't think this would even get to 1.1 million.

RTM REPLY - I believe that a few additional factors exist, and there may still be more...

-> you have to factor in supplemental bonuses for strategic jumps (ramps in the delivery stage, for example)
    -> the challenge stage would have to be the optimal combination of drop targets hit plus ramp-replenishes within the confines of the time limit...
    -> then there might be "strategic" deaths so as not to go over the life limit at certain points before the final challenge round...I am guessing that an expert would be able to lose the last one just enough before Sunday ends so as to earn the final life prior to the final challenge round for maximum bonus

I am no expert at the title by any means so a true expert would have to chime in here as to the viability of any calculation, but I do believe that you are on the right track as to determining the feasibility of the 1.1M WR.

It's been awhile...the "Grandstand Trick" can result in a ridiculously high score, that much I recall...but what I do not recall is whether the final huge score is only awarded at the end of the trick or at some point in between. I seem to recall having to do 2 or even 3 passes before the challenge stage finishes, I just can't remember at what point the huge score is awarded. I'm only guessing that it is only at the very end as that would make sense. But regardless, even a single extra pass results in additional illegally obtained points from drop targets even if the big bonus is not yet awarded, if such is the case.
  2. 04-22-2018, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I believe that a few additional factors exist, and there may still be more...

-> you have to factor in supplemental bonuses for strategic jumps (ramps in the delivery stage, for example)
    -> the challenge stage would have to be the optimal combination of drop targets hit plus ramp-replenishes within the confines of the time limit...
    -> then there might be "strategic" deaths so as not to go over the life limit at certain points before the final challenge round...I am guessing that an expert would be able to lose the last one just enough before Sunday ends so as to earn the final life prior to the final challenge round for maximum bonus
    Yes, forgot about ramp points.
  3. 04-24-2018, 02:08 AM
    I asked the question about crashing on purpose in Ed Owens arcade submission
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...l=1#post904230

"I intentionally crash at that spot every other day in order to start a new man with 10 papers. The flowers are worth the most points in the game. Extra lives max out a five, so I can afford four intentional crashes and couple unintentional ones."
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
    Likes Barra liked this post
  4. 04-24-2018, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    I asked the question about crashing on purpose in Ed Owens arcade submission
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...l=1#post904230

"I intentionally crash at that spot every other day in order to start a new man with 10 papers. The flowers are worth the most points in the game. Extra lives max out a five, so I can afford four intentional crashes and couple unintentional ones."
    There are approximately 4 intentional crashes available to still end with all 5 (plus current) life.
  5. 04-24-2018, 08:09 AM
    Not the best place to post this, but since there is no more general forum (insert annoyed face emoji here), can someone please open a dispute on the current TG arcade record for "Polaris" of 790K+ ? I don't have the cred rating with which to do so.

This game is nearly impossible once you reach past stage 15, and even if you somehow survive thru 18 and hunt like a bandit in every stage, you will be nowhere near that score. The highest I've ever seen or heard of that is legit is in the high 80K range but I do believe that 100K or so is still do-able...but no way on God's green earth is 790K do-able.
  6. 05-03-2018, 10:09 PM
    here's a link to RTM's comments and the response in the MAME paperboy thread:

i think the response of "DaLar" is also relevant for this discussion:

DaLar
    09-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Hi RTM, glad you like some Paper action :)

I've played Paperboy on and off since I discovered MAME around 2009, and Phil Brit's grandslam of
    1.136.435 pts. (I guess it could be like 150k + 350k + 630k !!)

You can stock 5 extra lives maximum, so it is about finding good places / days to sacrifice lives for points:
    After this 421k score I now f.x.sac a guy on Monday (HW) to get flowers ASAP, so they can regenerate "promptly" (by Wednesday...)

So at end of week you can get max lives bonus of 9.000 times 6 (5 + the guy you're using) = 54 k..
    The problem with getting over 600k on HW is that the Breakage counter rolls over around 65.400 pts, if you
    could even get it that high, which seems unlikely given the limited number of paperbundles througout the day
    (even with, lets say 1-2 sacs per day)..

I've tried using cheats: unlimited papers and/or invincibility, and even then it's very hard to AVG more than 75k
    a day.... 75 x 7 + 54k => 525 + 54k = 579k,, With most breakable things taking 2 days to regenerate, there
    are days where there's very few points to make..

I suspect maybe mr. Brit tricked the bees to never come back after 1st apperance, allowing you to ride slowly
    all week,, or maybe a lite-version of the Grandstand trick; where you crash immed. after slipping through the
    tribunal area (instead of taking a 2nd trip thru obstacle course) and get close to max breakage bonus that way

Another option might be to lose most of your customers and have upto 19 non-customer houses, which would mean alot more stuff to break..
    A delivery to the door and in the mailbox of a customer will get you 1050 pts, + 1500 pts at end of day = 2550 pts.. Most non-customer houses can easily net you more than 2550 (1100 to 6000 ish), but then you might often be short on papers due to all the breaking of stuff,, plus you'll get dangerously close to a breakage roll-over.. And when you constantly get breakage points, the counter will never stop, settle, show the actual value, until you die or finish the day :)

Maybe the arcade often was set to 4 starting lives instead of 3..? Not that it would change a whole lot.. Now if the diff. was set lower (or the extra lives)...
    Likes spectre, Skater, Barra liked this post
  7. 05-03-2018, 10:10 PM
    Check Out My KitchenCade Video!!!
    http://blip.tv/file/3043388
  8. 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM
    Thanks for collecting all the resource information, Brad.

This is going to be a tougher adjudication than normal, though not impossible. Here's why...

-> The record holder has not given an interview (to my knowledge) in many years...I last spoke to him well over 10 years ago and that was by chance as I detailed in one of my forum posts. His response was with ballpark point thresholds on a per road basis, understanding that he achieved these records approx 20 years before that so memories become vague over time

-> In the here and now, only two, possibly three, gamers are known to be playing at an expert level who have between them a very good idea of what the game can/cannot accomplish, but keep in mind that is based on known gaming tactics for the title. I say this because over 10 years ago, I watched the arcade "Congo Bongo" record and I can tell you as a matter of fact that a scoring tactic employed by the gamer, which is perfectly valid (and quite clever), has never come up even once as a matter of gamer discovery either since and obviously prior to that score. So 20 years from now, "experts" may question how it was possible, and again I would point out that they are experts on known gaming tactics of that time.

-> Over the years with videos captured and streaming it becomes less and less likely that "gaming secrets" and tactics are not known...but for some of the older scores set before TGSAP standards and expectations, some of the older tactics are largely unknown and unrecorded.

-> However, unrecorded or not, I do believe that a theoretical maximum on the game CAN be calculated, or at least estimated to within an acceptable percentage range. And if, after a logical assessment of what is possible on the game pushing it to the limits that the TG WR "Grand Slam" score is collectively not do-able, then down it should come.

-> I also believe that since this is one of the top five scores in TG history...my opinion...that an effort should be made to contact Phil Britt. For those who do not know, Phil is the gamer who beat out nearly a million other gamers across the US in a "Track'n Field" competition decades back, so he is no slouch of a gamer to be sure...he's the real deal. So my advice here is quite simple...get all the ducks in a row, relying on the knowledge and expertise of those who in the here and now are experts at the title, and somehow to to contact Phil. To that extent I would recommend for those who have the capacity to do so, contact Walter Day and see if he can broker a call with Phil as only Walter to my knowledge had Phil's contact info.

Robert
  9. 05-04-2018, 09:37 AM
    Quote:
    Another option might be to lose most of your customers and have upto 19 non-customer houses, which would mean alot more stuff to break..”

this option is is not possible, the game regenerates houses if less than 3 subscribers are left.
  10. 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
    The highest scores at MARP for all 3 streets are:
    Easy - 185,645 (unconfirmed)
    Middle - 262,788
    Hard - 421,925
    Total of the highest scores - 870,358

The highest scores on TG (combining MAME and Arcade) for all 3 streets are:
    Easy - 185,645
    Middle - 256,012
    Hard - 430,925
    Total of the highest scores - 872,582

The highest scores of all 3 streets combining TG and MARP
    Easy - 185,645
    Middle - 262,788
    Hard - 430,925
    Total of the highest confirmed scores - 879,358

MARP reports their highest Grand Slam score as 766,915 points.

I believe high scores on each street are possible, but no one has come close to what is needed to get even close to Phil's score. Not sure where an extra 255k or so points could come from though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us