This poll is closed
  1. Commodore VIC-20 - Omega Race - Points - 82,300 - Andrew Mee

07-15-2018, 08:34 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3229
    Rules
    Default Settings
    Submission Message
    Achieved on 20170409. Attempt begins around 5:08. A Penultimate Cart (multi-cart) was used.
    Likes kernzyp liked this post
  2. 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM
    Accepted. Looks like it starts at around 3:08.
    john m brissie
    Thanks Barthax, HugDD thanked this post
  3. 07-21-2018, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Accepted. Looks like it starts at around 3:08.
    Thanks, John. :D
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Likes jmb liked this post
  4. 07-21-2018, 02:23 AM
    The penultimate has been on my list for a while. It will be nice to have a consistent set of ROMs to use. The VIC has so many game ROM versions it's hard to know what the hell is going on.
    john m brissie
  5. 07-21-2018, 02:27 AM
    The penultimate has been on my list for a while. It will be nice to have a consistent set of ROMs to use. The VIC has so many game ROM versions it's hard to know what the hell is going on.
    It was the same with the ZX Spectrum in the mid 90s - massive tape library and imaging software wasn't precise, so lots of people generated lots of the same images but the files didn't match so duplicates proliferated. Thankfully on the ZX Spectrum the World Of Spectrum site (lots of users) did a fantastic job of whittling that set down to good TZX images. Not so sure the Vic has such a dedicated group behind. :(
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks jmb thanked this post
  6. 07-21-2018, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    It was the same with the ZX Spectrum in the mid 90s - massive tape library and imaging software wasn't precise, so lots of people generated lots of the same images but the files didn't match so duplicates proliferated. Thankfully on the ZX Spectrum the World Of Spectrum site (lots of users) did a fantastic job of whittling that set down to good TZX images. Not so sure the Vic has such a dedicated group behind. :(
    I just received my DIVMMC for my +2 with the SD card, I hope those ROMs will be good for submissions.
    john m brissie
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  7. 07-21-2018, 02:39 AM
    I just received my DIVMMC for my +2 with the SD card, I hope those ROMs will be good for submissions.
    Great stuff. :D The Penultimate only has 40 games on it, so there's definitely a need for another device to get through the Vic's large library.

The problem the Vic has for any cart/image loader is that it has bizarre memory requirements from the extensions. However, that's where the Penultimate kicks in again: it has every conceivable RAM combination in its capability:

Name:  IMG_20170320_184511.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  519.6 KB
  8. 07-21-2018, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Great stuff. :D The Penultimate only has 40 games on it, so there's definitely a need for another device to get through the Vic's large library.

The problem the Vic has for any cart/image loader is that it has bizarre memory requirements from the extensions. However, that's where the Penultimate kicks in again: it has every conceivable RAM combination in its capability:

Name:  IMG_20170320_184511.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  519.6 KB
    I had some problems with the FB20 loading games so I bought a 16K cart last year but still haven't tried it out yet. i hope that will help. The next step is the penultimate I guess.
    john m brissie
  9. 07-21-2018, 03:03 AM
    I had some problems with the FB20 loading games so I bought a 16K cart last year but still haven't tried it out yet. i hope that will help. The next step is the penultimate I guess.
    There are five regions of RAM (labeled 0, 1, 2, 3 & 5 - no idea why 4 was skipped) and they have their own address spaces allocated which do not overlap. The first 3K is the built-in for the Vic so that's always available. The second 3K was used in many earlier carts so the 16K won't support those games. There are two different 16K address spaces from different 16K expansions - either the ** regions 1+2 or the ** regions 2+3 - depends on the expansion manufacturer. Many 16K cart games load into region 5 - making most 16K expansions incapable of supporting pirating games. :( Apparently the genuine Commodore 16K expansion has the capability but needs re-soldering to make it region 5.
  10. 07-21-2018, 03:04 AM
    ??? 8-K (without the hyphen) was censored?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us