Arcade - Ghouls'n Ghosts [World] - Points [Marathon Settings] - 2,415,700 - Marc Bell

Is this Performance Claim valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Arcade - Ghouls'n Ghosts [World] - Points [Marathon Settings] - 2,415,700 - Marc Bell

09-20-2018, 06:10 PM
    vzaar-player

Points [Marathon Settings]
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=216524
    Rules
    Region Version: World
    Dip Switch A: 1-8 = OFF
    Dip Switch B: 1-8 = OFF
    Dip Switch C: 1 = OFF, 2 = OFF, 3 = OFF, 4 = OFF, 5 = OFF, 6 = OFF, 7 = ON, 8 = OFF
    The above dip switch settings will give the following settings:
    Service Mode: Off
    Cabinet: Upright 1 Player
    Difficulty: 4 [Normal]
    Bonus Life: 30K, 60K, and every 70K
    Lives: 3
    Flip Screen: Off
    Allow Continue: No
    Game Mode: Game
    Special Rules: Continues are NOT allowed! World version only, NOT Japan, NOT USA
    Submission Message
    Ghouls'n Ghosts World version, arcade. Final score: 2,415,700. It's been my goal to beat the world record currently on Twin Galaxies for MAME, but instead on the arcade version. This is my submission for that.

Set to Twin Galaxies Marathon settings. 3 lives to start (default), and no continues. This attempt went for 9 hours so apologies in advance, and many thanks to all adjudicators willing to marathon the viewing!

This video uploaded to Twin Galaxies is highly compressed in order to make it manageable. There's a link to the full 1080p version on Youtube below if anyone requires it.

Full detail of video:

Game boot: 00:00:29
    Game start: 00:02:03
    Final death: 09:09:33
    Score on scoreboard (2,415,700): 09:09:48
    PCB removal: 09:10:38
    PCB inspection: 09:11:41
    DIP switch settings: 09:12:12

Screenshot of DIP settings from the video:

Full 1080p version on Youtube:

Detailed video about the PCB:

Many many thanks for adjudicating!

Marc.
    Thanks HugDD, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes HugDD, HAN, JJT_Defender, EVN, ILLSeaBass liked this post
  2. 09-23-2018, 04:02 AM
    Just some additional context for this attempt.

I had previously gone for the Tournament Settings score which was approved in this submission: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/191482

That has a bunch of videos linked which show my previous attempts for those settings.

This Marathon Settings attempt is obviously a much longer run seeing as you can play for as long as you can stay alive, and as long as your accumulated lives hold out. I think the max lives you can get in this game from bonus is around 8, and then after that you can no longer accumulate further lives (except for a lucky 1up drop, which is extremely rare). So while this game can be 'marathoned', in that as long as you have the skill and a bit of luck you keep going. It really is a very tough game and eventually the game will get you. I've played the game a lot, and there's still lots of things I see happen in a game that I've never seen before. It's always got a surprise up it's sleeve.

Again, a thanks to those who are willing to adjudicate.

Marc.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 09-25-2018, 04:00 AM
    This series has some of the coolest graphics, music and sounds in a classic arcade game. Too bad they didn't make a 3rd game.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  4. 09-26-2018, 02:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    This series has some of the coolest graphics, music and sounds in a classic arcade game. Too bad they didn't make a 3rd game.
    There are actually 4 games in the main series. Ghosts n Goblins (arcade), Ghouls n Ghosts (arcade), Super Ghouls n Ghosts (SNES), Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins (PSP). All 4 are great games, and all designed by the same guy since the very first game. I actually think Ultimate is the best game in the series, it's brutally hard though, probably the hardest out of all of them, combined!
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  5. 09-26-2018, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    There are actually 4 games in the main series. Ghosts n Goblins (arcade), Ghouls n Ghosts (arcade), Super Ghouls n Ghosts (SNES), Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins (PSP). All 4 are great games, and all designed by the same guy since the very first game. I actually think Ultimate is the best game in the series, it's brutally hard though, probably the hardest out of all of them, combined!
    I guess I was thinking about arcade only but I'll certainly youtube these other two games and check them out.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes Marc liked this post
  6. 09-27-2018, 01:07 AM
    You're a GnG animal mate :)

Well done!
    Thanks Marc thanked this post
  7. 09-27-2018, 04:04 AM
    I just checked out the last two games and the Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins (PSP) Looked totally amazing!
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes Marc liked this post
  8. 09-28-2018, 03:30 AM
    @EVN thanks man!
    @Ripper yeah Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins is amazing. So good it's reason enough to buy a PSP or Vita for in my opinion.
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  9. 10-25-2018, 08:21 PM
    Nice score on a very difficult game, Marc! Accepted!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
  10. 10-28-2018, 07:28 AM
    check out the fanmade game Ghosts'n Demons for Windows PC. It's very well made and has the spirit/challenge of the originals.

accepted
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us