Commodore 64 - Pitstop - PAL - Monaco - 3 Laps (Fastest Time) - 02:03.0 - Steve Rasmussen

Is this Performance Claim valid?

    This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Commodore 64 - Pitstop - PAL - Monaco - 3 Laps (Fastest Time) - 02:03.0 - Steve Rasmussen

    11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:


    PAL - Monaco - 3 Laps (Fastest Time)
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=29612
    Rules
    Fastest time may be submitted from any skill level.
    The game must allow for two simultaneous opponent cars.
    (Note: A known ROM hack reduced the number of opponent cars to one. Such versions are prohibited).

    Submission Message
    Commodore 64 - Pitstop
    PAL - Monaco - 3 Laps - Fastest
    Record time 2:03 performed 01 November 2018

    Two games in video, record Game Options @ 04:51, starts 04:57, finish @ 7:26
    Joystick, video stuff at end.




    Start (4:58) / end (7:26) times taken from the video calculated to 2:28.


    I checked JMB's 2:04 and got the same, Start 4:05, end 6:33 = 2:28, so I guess he probably ridiculously close to a 2:03. And kernzyP's 2:05, start 1:37, end 4:07 = 2:30




    Hercules Workshop cables, highly recommended. http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/...kshop&pc=15645

    NTSC to PAL conversion, http://biosrhythm.com/?p=1420

    My Ebay purchases for conversion :) Great deal on the VIC chip. If anyone needs a crystal I have nine unused :)


    Thanks Almighty Dreadlock thanked this post
  2. 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM
    I believe 2:03 was achieved but there's all manner of Frankenstein going on here which still outputs 29 FPS of action.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks RaGe thanked this post
    Likes jmb liked this post
  3. 11-01-2018, 02:43 PM
    This time discrepancy between actual and game time, it would appear, is due the NTSC 60hz vs PAL 50 hz thing. I tried several Pitstop ROMs, errr backups, including a EuroGold version and some .t64 files. All were slow relative to playing on an NTSC machine. Could be that there are no PAL versions that are fixed to run at a 'normal' speed, and it was released unmolested in the UK and Europe. The cartridge I used is one I got for my birthday, back in the day. Works fine on both PAL and NTSC, with NTSC version being noticeably faster and some color differences.

    My run: 2:03 game time, 2:28 actual = 123 / 148 (seconds) = 0.831
    KernzP run: 2:05 / 2:30 = 125 / 150 = 0.83333333
    JMB run: 2:04 / 2:28 = 124 / 148 = 0.837
    = 124 / 148.8 = 0.8333333
    50hz / 60hz = 0.83333333

    If there exists a PAL Pitstop, I think we'd hafta vote no on this and dispute the others.
  4. 11-01-2018, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    I believe 2:03 was achieved but there's all manner of Frankenstein going on here which still outputs 29 FPS of action.
    More of a 'Parent Trap' than a Frankenstein :)
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  5. 11-01-2018, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyinajeep View Post
    More of a 'Parent Trap' than a Frankenstein :)
    No, a Parent Trap would be trading my NTSC for a PAL....this is more like Gilligan's Island episode 'the Friendly Physician' where Dr. Boris swapped the Professor's and Mary Ann's brains :)
  6. 11-02-2018, 01:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyinajeep View Post
    This time discrepancy between actual and game time, it would appear, is due the NTSC 60hz vs PAL 50 hz thing. I tried several Pitstop ROMs, errr backups, including a EuroGold version and some .t64 files. All were slow relative to playing on an NTSC machine. Could be that there are no PAL versions that are fixed to run at a 'normal' speed, and it was released unmolested in the UK and Europe. The cartridge I used is one I got for my birthday, back in the day. Works fine on both PAL and NTSC, with NTSC version being noticeably faster and some color differences.

    My run: 2:03 game time, 2:28 actual = 123 / 148 (seconds) = 0.831
    KernzP run: 2:05 / 2:30 = 125 / 150 = 0.83333333
    JMB run: 2:04 / 2:28 = 124 / 148 = 0.837
    = 124 / 148.8 = 0.8333333
    50hz / 60hz = 0.83333333

    If there exists a PAL Pitstop, I think we'd hafta vote no on this and dispute the others.
    My premise for mentioning it is not the Cart but the C64. Regardless of the speed of the game, the C64 is still outputing ~30 FPS - you can literally count 29-30 FPS of action in your footage. This is giving an advantage of ~5 FPS over anyone playing on a genuine PAL set up - more information, potentially more reaction opportunities. Due to the slow down and the timer being in-game, it also gives makes the game easier vs. a standard NTSC setup. I went back and checked some of JMB's submissions & while he's using a 30FPS camera, he's only getting 25 FPS from the C64.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks RaGe, jmb thanked this post
  7. 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    My premise for mentioning it is not the Cart but the C64. Regardless of the speed of the game, the C64 is still outputing ~30 FPS - you can literally count 29-30 FPS of action in your footage. This is giving an advantage of ~5 FPS over anyone playing on a genuine PAL set up - more information, potentially more reaction opportunities. Due to the slow down and the timer being in-game, it also gives makes the game easier vs. a standard NTSC setup. I went back and checked some of JMB's submissions & while he's using a 30FPS camera, he's only getting 25 FPS from the C64.
    That first reply was started before I saw your frankenstein post, it took me a while write it. I was just curious why the discrepancy betwixt real time on mine, Jmb's, and Kernzyp's runs vs the game time and gave my thoughts.

    The Viewsonic doesn't have on screen display, so I connected my FrankenPAL to a Dell 2001fp, which is PAL capable. The OSD shows 50hz being outputted. pic below

    If my run was 5fps faster than 'genuine PALs' shouldn't the race real time be 83% (25/30) of a 'genuine PAL' machine? Our real times are the same. The only advantage that I have is outputting to a 4:3 CRT vs. a 16:9 lcd/led/plasma/modern display. video below

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181102_113732.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	72704
    Attachment 72703

    Video comparision
  8. 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM
    Nice lap time, Steve! Accepted!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
    Thanks onlyinajeep thanked this post
    Likes onlyinajeep liked this post
  9. 11-04-2018, 10:36 PM
    I meant, nice race time, Steve.

    :-P me.
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
    Thanks onlyinajeep thanked this post
    Likes onlyinajeep liked this post
  10. 11-05-2018, 12:35 PM
    Pete covered it all.

    I would just buy a PAL C64 :)
    Likes HugDD, jmb liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us