Dispute: Sean Dwyer - Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Columns - NTSC - Points - Player: Keith Danforth - Score: 99,999,989

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Dispute: Sean Dwyer - Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Columns - NTSC - Points - Player: Keith Danforth - Score: 99,999,989

03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
    Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Columns - NTSC - Points
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=2965
    Rules
    1 Life, Arcade Mode, HARD Difficulty
    Special Rules: You must enter the MENU option to change the difficulty to HARD. You may freely choose your own starting level/difficulty of Easy (Lvl 1), Medium (Lvl 5 + 20K Bonus) or Hard (Lvl 10 + 50K Bonus)
    [Please note that you may use either the Original Cartridge, the 3-In-1 Cartridge or the 6-Pak cartridge for your attempt.]
    Player Name
    Keith Danforth
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    Referee
    Verification Date
    2004-06-11
    Disputed Score
    99,999,989 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    sdwyer138
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    Twin Galaxies's database states this score was verified by a referee on June 11, 2004.

This is absolutely false. To the best of my research, this score first appeared in issue 22 of Electronic Gaming Monthly from May 1991:

https://archive.org/details/Electron...y_22/page/n113

The magazine states that the scores are current through March 1991, meaning that is the latest date the score could be performed to be included in issue 22.

Problem 1 is that TG's database is reporting incorrect information as to both the verification date and method of this score.

Problem 2 is EGM does not record the settings the score was performed at, nor would the required evidence of a photograph be able to confirm this. There are two modes of play for this game, Arcade and Original, as well as multiple difficulty settings for each. It is impossible to know if the assumed score meets the requirements of the track, (Arcade mode, Hard difficultly).

This score should be removed from TG for these reasons.
    Thanks RaGe thanked this post
  2. 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
    Yep, this score is a mess. This is an instance where a picture as verification is not enough (it's a score that would take incredible effort to achieve on hard difficulty). That notorious verification date, 6-11-2004 strikes again.
    Likes ILLSeaBass, Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM
    An excellent player scores about 10,000 per minute. This would take the record-holder approximately 167 hours or 7 straight, non-stop 24-hour days of playing with no breaks to achieve 100 million. Players would not be able to pause the game. Did this dude use a bed pan or something? This game also gives no "extra lives", so the player can't simply walk away for 30 seconds and expect to have the game not be over by the time they got back. Any 7-straight-day-with-no-break marathon run, I would like to see some sort of evidence or even a witness who claims they know someone who knew someone who was related to someone who heard that this run may or may not have happened, at the very least, none of which exist.
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  4. 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM
    Looks like a very legit dispute with more than enough evidence to support. Voted Yes.
  5. 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM
    Valid dispute in my eyes, voted yes.
  6. 03-23-2019, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
    That notorious verification date, 6-11-2004 strikes again.
    I feel like that date was a day when Walter just decided to enter bunch of scores from old gaming mags without any evidence. I'd take any score under that date with a huge grain of salt. Unfortunately some of them can't even be challenged properly.
  7. 03-26-2019, 04:56 AM
    To achieve a score like this would definitely require a long marathon session. Granted they could pause to go to the bathroom, but wouldn't that be against the rules?

Either way, I definitely think this is an easy removal.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  8. 04-01-2019, 05:00 AM
    There has now been enough activity here to warrant adecision.

There is some great detective work here. This score isclearly fantasy. Thank you for bringing this one up. This dispute is acceptedand the score is being removed.
    Dave Hawksett
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Thanks sdwyer138, RaGe thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
Join us