PC - Wolfenstein 3-D - default settings - 803,700 - Salim Farhat

Is this Performance Claim valid?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. PC - Wolfenstein 3-D - default settings - 803,700 - Salim Farhat

09-24-2019, 07:30 PM
    Vzaar Video Url:

default settings
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3086
    Rules
    Default Settings
    Submission Message
    I used maps. Just to get this out of the way. I did have the maps handy when I played it on another window. If the community decides this is not proper during live game play then please tell me.

I'm doing this record specifically because my sister loves this game, and since this isn't a coin-oped arcade game, finishing this was a hell of a lot easier than anything on MAME. I followed Ben Sweeney's difficulty level out of fairness. The only change to the game were the controls. Instead of ctrl and alt for shoot and strafe, I changed them to z and x respectively. my ctrl and alt keys are spaced too far apart for comfortable use.

I used DOSBox to play this game, I aborted my first run immediately and changed the cycles to get the game to run more smoothly, it does NOT alter the gameplay, but it does make the game run better. How is DOSBox rules handled here?

2. 09-24-2019, 08:14 PM
    This is tough for me to decide. As this is played on a PC, but the gameplay was emulated on the PC. So I'm still unsure how I fell about it. The gameplay seemed faster than usual. But not sure if that gave you a advantage or not. If it was speed run, I would say no for sure.

I will ponder and hope others will chime in.
  3. 09-25-2019, 04:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    This is tough for me to decide. As this is played on a PC, but the gameplay was emulated on the PC. So I'm still unsure how I fell about it. The gameplay seemed faster than usual. But not sure if that gave you a advantage or not. If it was speed run, I would say no for sure.

I will ponder and hope others will chime in.
    The speed is the game cycles. Basically it increases the emulated processing power. It is not a setting 'in-game' but it just affects how the emulator runs. Being a DOS game the game has no standard CPU speed, but was dependent on how powerful your computer is.

Also emulation is the only way I can play the game. Even if I download the GOG.com version it will still be emulated since all MS-DOS GOG.com games will have DOSBox built into the executable, and it WILL run at the speed you see here.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  4. 09-25-2019, 06:50 AM
    Once again Twin Galaxies doesn't define exact rules on this. That the frustration with this. Since it is DosBOX i consider it emulation. And it shouldn't be in the same as the others. Cause Otherwise let's put MAME and Arcade in to the leaderboards.

I would approve if you submitted here as this track was used based on DosBOX running in a browser for Wolf3d
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/wo...est-tournament
  5. 09-25-2019, 07:31 AM
    Mr Farhat, please provide full details of the game's executable file, including where you got it.

DOS Box is not a game emulator. It emulates DOS, which is an old operating system, on which Windows used to be based.

As far as I'm aware, DOS Box cannot run other emulators. It is for running original games.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 09-25-2019, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Dreadlock View Post
    Mr Farhat, please provide full details of the game's executable file, including where you got it.

DOS Box is not a game emulator. It emulates DOS, which is an old operating system, on which Windows used to be based.

As far as I'm aware, DOS Box cannot run other emulators. It is for running original games.
    DOSBox could run an emulator, however, I don't believe any DOS versions of any kind of emulator even exist.
  7. 09-25-2019, 12:24 PM
    This is quite easy for me to decide. Classic PC games were programmed based on clock cycles, and clock cycles varied WIDELY among all of the different configurations of PCs during the 80s and 90s, with many of a PCs components also affecting clock speed, even within the SAME PC, as some PCs had literally a button on the front that allowed "Turbo" mode that would overclock a 4.77MHz CPU up to 8MHz, nearly doubling the game's speed.

Any kind of specific rule regarding "You must perform this at XYZ cycles per second" would effectively disqualify any performance on 99.999% of the other PCs out there that do not match the specification as defined in such a rule.

Since there is no way to nail that down, any clock speed, frame count, frequency, emulation speed, emulator being used, PC being used, and OS version being used I would consider absolutely acceptable. If having and 80286 CPU gave a player an advantage over another player playing on an 8086 CPU, then to me, it looks like that latter player needs to acquire an 80286 and play on it if they don't like it.

VOTING YES.
  8. 09-25-2019, 05:33 PM
    My issue is that DOSBOX is emulating hardware. So if DOSBOX is allowed as Original hardware. Then so should all the EMU tracks for all the other systems should be combined. By allowing this submission then I should be able to play Sonic the Hedgehog on "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection " for the XBOX360 and submit the score under the Sega Genesis platform for Sonic the Hedgehog, it is the same thing. The xbox360 software is emulating a environment for the Sonic the Hedgehog rom to be played.

I'm voting no.

Your run is great, but this website or community is not consistent on what needed to be accepted for original hardware vs. emulation. And it is just frustrating to all hell. Because no one in charge around here will be the judge or the rule setter. The Double Standard is getting old around here. So I'm taking a stand and likely to lose more credibility.
  9. 09-25-2019, 05:46 PM
    DOSBox allows a computer to run *software* in an earlier version's state. It does *not* allow a computer to run *hardware* that it would not otherwise run. PC games are not hardware, they are software. Console games are predominantly hardware. When the rules state "original hardware", that's including the game cartridge or discs, because the games are hardware. Therein lies a huge difference. PC games were designed to run on a PC, and this submitter performed this score on a PC. The client is irrelevant.

Under the standard you have suggested, any game loaded from the Steam client would be considered "emulation", and any submitter who performs on PC running a VM would have to submit under emulation, notions that are both preposterous.
  10. 09-25-2019, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    My issue is that DOSBOX is emulating hardware.
    For the record, DOSBox does not emulate hardware ... like ... at all.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us