Service Mode: Off
    Game Time: 120 sec.
    Nr. Of Laps: 4
    Extended Rank: G
    Practice Rank: C
    Unknown: Off
    Special Rules: None
    Submission Message
    After many resets, I was able get over 62,000 points finally. According to Terencew, I can use any version of Wolfmame greater than build 150 so long as I use the poleposj rom set.

Attached Files Attached Files
  2. 07-30-2019, 09:08 AM
    Excellent gameplay, considering the hardware.

Pole Position is the best racing game, of all time, and I always enjoy seeing a good game of it

Thanks linuxriverrat thanked this post
    Likes linuxriverrat liked this post
  3. 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
    Thank you for the compliment.

With regard to the hardware, I got the idea from playing Mega Race 2 back in the 90's. I am not sure what other MAME players do for Pole Position. But, I imagine that there are better gamers than me who will take the idea of playing with a mouse and easily roll my score.
  4. 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM
    What made you choose the analog settings you did?
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  5. 07-31-2019, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Tyler View Post
    What made you choose the analog settings you did?
    The arcade game itself uses variable resistors for the brake and acceleration pedals. Unfortunately, that cannot be emulated on a keyboard so I had to find a combination that worked. I settled on the fact that I would like the brake to ease up slowly, hence 65 for the auto center, but I wanted the accelerator to have an almost instant stop for the game, so I set it at 80..

For the mouse, the sensitivity had to be turned way down to make the game playable. Once I got it fined tuned, I was able to roll 60k multiple times and I can now play and pretty much roll 60k on command.

Something tells me that better gamers will use this technique to easily roll my score.

Anyways, I selected the analog settings in order to make the game playable with a mouse and keyboard. It took much fine tuning, but I figured it out.
    Thanks Lauren Tyler thanked this post
    Likes Lauren Tyler liked this post
  6. 08-01-2019, 04:23 PM
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    The following tests and reports are neither exhaustive nor definitive,
    and should not be assumed as such in order to verify authenticity of a submission.

Starting check.bat on Thu 08/01/2019 at 20:13:31.65

Zip test
    Code:
    Zip:

7-Zip [64] 15.14 : Copyright (c) 1999-2015 Igor Pavlov : 2015-12-31

Scanning the drive for archives:
    1 file, 159253 bytes (156 KiB)

Testing archive: C:\WolfMAME\209\inp\TG\robertfawcettpoleposj07302019C.zip
    --
    Path = C:\WolfMAME\209\inp\TG\robertfawcettpoleposj07302019C.zip
    Type = zip
    Physical Size = 159253

Everything is Ok

Size:       164666
    Compressed: 159253
    RAR:

Zip list
    Code:

1 file, 159253 bytes (156 KiB)

Listing archive: C:\WolfMAME\209\inp\TG\robertfawcettpoleposj07302019C.zip

--
    Path = C:\WolfMAME\209\inp\TG\robertfawcettpoleposj07302019C.zip
    Type = zip
    Physical Size = 159253

----------
    Path = robertfawcettpoleposj07302019C.inp
    Folder = -
    Size = 164666
    Packed Size = 159051
    Modified = 2019-07-30 10:46:02
    Created = 2019-07-30 10:46:02
    Accessed = 2019-07-30 10:48:33
    Attributes =  -rw-r--r--
    Encrypted = -
    Comment = 
    CRC = 4724039C
    Method = Deflate
    Host OS = Unix
    Version = 20

MAME Major Version 209

What MAME thinks:
    Code:
    Input file: poleposj.inp
    INP version 3.5
    Created Tue Jul 30 10:41:32 2019

Recorded using 0.209W (unknown)
    Total playback frames: 16073
    Average recorded speed: 98%
    Average speed: 100.00% (268 seconds)
    Source driver:
    poleposj polepos.cpp
    Generic Info for game:
    Code:
    ROM set changed: yes
    0.106-0.149: polepos - "Pole Position"
    0.150-0.209: poleposj - "Pole Position (Japan)"

MAME History:
    - 0.150: Andrew Welburn, The Dumping Union added Pole Position (World). Verified the PP2-10.2H and some minor rom name corrections. Added DIP locations to the Pole Position sets [Brian Trona]. Changed 'Pole Position' to clone 'Pole Position (Japan)'. Renamed (polepos) to (poleposj), (polepos1) to (poleposa1) and (poleposa) to (poleposa2). Fixed rom names.

Resolution, 0.106-0.138: 256x224 @ 60.606060Hz
    Resolution, 0.139-0.209: 256x224 @ 60.606061Hz

TG Game Entry: https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores....=Pole+Position
    Rules, Points: https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=78931
    INP dump not relevant

MAME Info
    poleposj is clone of: polepos
    MAMEInfo.dat entries: polepos and polepos.cpp
    Code:
    MAMEInfo.dat entries for:
    polepos
    polepos_sound
    polepos2
    poleposn
    polepos.cpp
    ----
    0.150 [Andrew Welburn, The Dumping Union]

0.79u1 [Nicola Salmoria]

0.36b14 [Aaron Giles]

0.36b11 [Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi, Juergen Buchmueller]

0.35b9 [Testdriver]

Artwork available

NOTE:

- Pole Position was the first driving game to be based on a real circuit (Fuji).

Bugs:

- polepos (example): Analog devices values are not saved when using a digital input. StHiryu (ID 06823)

- polepos, poleposj, poleposa1, poleposa2: [possible] The game will appear to be temporarily stuck on a letter when entering initials. mmarino4 (ID 06577)

- Playback of inp incorrect after a while. reesal (ID 04429)

- When you start with full gas in the Namco version you can hear the tyres screeching, in the Atari version not. Kold666 (ID 01114)

WIP:

- 21st December 2018: Smitdogg - VeryGreen and f205v extracted the Tesla-hacked version of Speed Up (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position) out of their MAME software which I guess is called Mars Madness. Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/1/17...mes-easter-egg.

- 0.198: Clean up some line write handlers [AJR].

- 0.196: Removed first_screen usage from Namco 51XX device [Ryan Holtz].

- 30th January 2018: Mr. Do - MAMEWorld user gginelli was kind enough to let me know that the shifter was not working in either Pole Position game. When I went to go fix it, I figured I should do it right, and also add in the whole control panel, as the current artwork was kind of hokey. As I got that done, I found other things that needed fixing: the colors were off on the cockpit bezel, and the Atari logo section was not an equal circle on the upright artwork, which also had the colors off a bit. Some time around when I started working on this, Nightvoice had posted a TON of artwork he has been working on for the past months, and it inspired me. A lot of what he had done really aligned with the ideas that I have had for some time now on how each game should look on screen. I ended up going all out on Pole Position and PP2, and cleaned up everything. Full cockpit and upright artwork for both games is done, along with the Euro version of PP2. Of the new artwork added, the marquee and both cpos for PP1 are from the BYOAC / CAG artwork, as is the bezel for the conversion version of PP2. The cpo and bezel for the Euro PP2, along with the gauges for PP1, the various stickers for PP2, and the steering wheel, I created based on multiple photos. The marquee for PP2 was vectored by zorg some time ago, along with the steering wheel logo. All items for all games were color matched together. We are now Prepared to Qualify. For those that only want to see bezel artwork on the screen, but still want the gearshift, I added in extra views that you can apply by going to Video Options while in-game.

- 0.154: Zerofill Namco 51/52/54XX at init. This fixes Pole Position freezes just before finishing POST. It happens mostly on 32-bit platform binaries [hap]. Changed 'Pole Position Custom' to 'Pole Position Audio Custom'.

- 0.150: Andrew Welburn and The Dumping Union added Pole Position (World). Verified the PP2-10.2H and some minor rom name corrections. Added DIP locations to the Pole Position sets [Brian Trona]. Changed 'Pole Position' to clone 'Pole Position (Japan)'. Fixed rom names. Renamed (polepos) to (poleposj), (polepos1) to (poleposa1) and (poleposa) to (poleposa2).

- 0.149u1: Marcos75 (from AUMAP) added clone Speed Up (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position).

- 0.142u6: Convert Pole Position driver to MCFG_SCREEN_RAW_PARAMS and scanline-based IRQ timing [Alex Jackson, O. Galibert]. This fixes bad game sound.

- 0.140u1: Derrick Renaud optimized speed of DISCRETE_DAC_R1.

-  6th September 2010: Mr. Do - Awhile back I added in built-in gear shifters for most of the driving games in MAME. But, I neglected to also add them to the external artwork for the games that had them. So go ahead and grab this LAY file update, which adds them in to the five driving games affected, plus also fixes the real artwork for both Pole Postions, which broke some time ago due to a source update.

- 0.139u1: Atari Ace removed global variables from NAMCO sound core.

- 0.138u4: Various improvements to Pole Position driver [Alex Jackson]: Corrected the way the steering wheel is hooked up, fixing the jittery steering in the sets with MCUs. Added a new layout file for the bootleg sets without MCUs (topracern and polepos2bi). Converted clock frequencies to crystal values from xtal.c. Added correct ROM names for the Namco-manufactured sets (polepos and polepos2). Completely removed the unused global variable polepos_gear_bit. Fixed a couple of bootleg ROMs that were very likely bit-rotted.

- 0.135u1: Added clone Top Racer (no MB8841 + MB8842). Removed clone Top Racer (set 2). David Haywood documented presence of Namco customs on the Pole Position bootleg (Top Racer) sets. Removed Namco devices from bootlegs which don't have them. Changed description of clones 'Top Racer (set 1)' to 'Top Racer (with MB8841 + MB8842, set 1)' and 'Top Racer (set 3)' to 'Top Racer (with MB8841 + MB8842, set 2)'. Renamed (topracrb) to (topracera).

- 0.133u5: Couriersud fixed unable to find input port in clone Top Racer (set 2).

- 0.131u3: Aaron Giles changed the Namco 52xx and 53xx devices to run the actual MCU instead of simulating the behavior. Hooked them up properly in Pole Position. Added mirrors to Pole Position memory maps. Replaced audio Namco 52XX with 3x MB8843 (1536000 Hz) CPU4/5/6. Changed MB8844 CPU7 clock speed to 1536000 Hz.

- 0.130: Kevin Eshbach added placeholders for the two PAL's on Atari's version of Pole Position 1 and 2 (I could not read the last digit of the PAL at 5c).

- 0.129u6: Mr. Do added built-in layouts for Pole Position.

- 0.129u4: Changed 'Custom' sound to 'Pole Position Custom'.

-  9th January 2009: Mr. Do - I almost missed a pretty cool update that just took place in 0.129 (which Aaron was kind enough to point me at). It seems that a few weeks back (specifically, 0.127u3), Nathan Woods updated things so that artwork can be hooked up to pretty much any input bit. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities (if you use your imagination). So anyway, Aaron took the first step, and added a basic built-in gearshifter to Pole Position and Pole Postion II. And since I already had the other pics done, it only took a couple minutes to hook up the external artwork. So go and redownload Pole Position I and II, and you'll now finally know what gear you're always in.

- 0.129: Aaron Giles added simple built-in layout for Pole Position showing the position of the shifter. Removed debug build hack to popmessage the shifter state.

- 0.126u4: Guru added README for Top Racer.

- 0.119u3: David Haywood added the rom loading for roms 51xx, 52xx and 53xx.bin, which are dumped but not yet hooked up.

- 0.118u5: Changed palettesize to 3840 colors.

- 0.118u2: Alex Jackson removed redundant hard-coded definitions for Pole Position pedals.

- 0.114u1: Replaced MB88xx CPU4 with MB8844.

- 18th February 2007: Mr. Do - Zorg's vector of the upright bezel for Pole Position is ready to go. I also included the graphics for the gearshift for Pole Position. Note that this won't work until the driver is updated. Also fixed the screen position on the cockpit bezel (finally got it, red!).

- 0.112u2: Replaced 3x DAC sound with Discrete.

- 0.112u1: Replaced implementation of Namco 54xx sound chip with new MB8844 CPU core running the original embedded ROM code. Removed old sound core. Pole Position and Bosconian no longer require samples as a result [Nicola Salmora, Ernesto Corvi, Guru]. Added MB88xx (256000 Hz) CPU4 with 1k rom 54xx.bin. Replaced Namco 54XX and Samples sound with 3x DAC sound.

- 26th November 2006: Mr. Do - We have a Pole Position Upright bezel, thanks to the loan by Vintage Arcade Superstore and cleanup by Ad_Enuff.

-  3rd September 2006: Mr. Do - Added vectorized the bezel version of Pole Position (Atari Cockpit) by Ad_Enuff.

- 0.97u1: Mamesick moved LO/HI gearshift display in Pole Position to debug-only build.

- 0.94u2: Derrick Renaud added proper watchdog to Pole Position.

- 0.90u3: Steve Ellenoff added clone Top Racer (set 3). Derrick Renaud added proper filters to Pole Position engine sound and proper filters to the Namco52 sample player of Bosconian, Galaga, Pole Position and Xevious. Adjusted relative effect volumes per schematics.

- 14th January 2005: Derrick Renaud - Added proper filters to engine sound. Also i am working on adding the proper filtering to the speech (Namco 52XX voice effects) of Pole Position. The final sound comes out of pin 14 of the LM324. R/C components and a op-amp affect the filtering.

- 0.90u2: Derrick Renaud updated the Namco 54XX noise sound and added the R/C values to Bosconian, Galaga, Pole Position and Xevious.

- 0.89u5: Jarek Burczynski improved the Namco 54XX Noise Generator (Type A and B emulated, type C algo still unknown). Removed pp2_17.wav sample.

- 0.87u4: Pierpaolo Prazzoli added clone Top Racer (set 2) (bootleg 1982). Changed description of clone 'Top Racer' to 'Top Racer (set 1)'.

- 0.79u1: Nicola Salmoria fixed various mistakes in the Pole Position ROM loading (missing one speech ROM and vertical scaling PROMs). Also sprite zooming should now be closer to the hardware. Added new cpu1 rom ($0 - Top Racer has same crc), missing gfx6 rom ($0) from Pole Position (Atari version 2), sound3 rom ($6000) from Pole Position II and 2x new prom ($1000, 1020). Changed Z80 CPU1 and Z8002 CPU1/2 clock speeds to 3072000 Hz and added Namco 52XX and Namco 54XX sound.

- 0.76u2: Removed 2nd Player.

- 15th September 2002: Stephane Humbert fixed a small issue in the Pole Position MCU coinage handling.

- 0.37b12: Changed VSync to 60.606060Hz.

- 0.36b14: Aaron Giles added 'Pole Position' (Namco 1982). Changed (version 2) to clone 'Pole Position (Atari version 2)' and clone (version 1) to 'Pole Position (Atari version 1)'. Renamed (polepos) to (poleposa).

-  6th January 2000: Aaron Giles added the Japan Pole Position romset.

- 0.36b11: Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi and Juergen Buchmueller added 'Pole Position (version 2)' (Namco (Atari license) 1982) and clones (version 1) and Top Racer (bootleg).

- 25th November 1999: Takahiro Nogi fixed some problems in the sample playing of Pole Position.

- 24th November 1999: Ernesto Corvi hooked up the two missing samples to the Pole Position driver.

- 23rd November 1999: Takahiro Nogi added partial stereo sound to Pole Position.

- 22nd November 1999: Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi and Juergen Buchmueller have submitted a fully working Pole Position 1 / 2 driver, it only lacks explosion and screeching tires samples.

- 0.36b6: Added clone (Testdriver) Pole Position (set 2).

- 0.35b9: Added (Testdrivers) Pole Position I and clones (alternate set) and (bootleg).

ARCADE RELEASE: Pole Position (Namco) - 1982/Sep/24

LEVELS: 2

Recommended Games (F1-3D):

Turbo

Pole Position

Pole Position II

Laser Grand Prix

TX-1

Driving Force

GP World

WEC Le Mans 24

Continental Circus

Final Lap

Final Lap Twin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)

Final Lap 2

Final Lap 3

Final Lap R

Winning Run

Winning Run Suzuka Grand Prix

Winning Run '91

Super Monaco GP

Super Monaco GP (Mega-Tech)

Driver's Eyes

F1 Exhaust Note

F1 Super Lap

Grand Prix Star

F-1 Grand Prix Star II

Racing Beat

Ground Effects

Virtua Racing

Daytona USA

Daytona USA 2

Daytona USA 2 Power Edition

Ace Driver: Racing Evolution

Ace Driver: Victory Lap

Driver's Edge

F-1 Super Battle

Racin' Force

INDY 500 Twin

Slip Stream

Sega Touring Car Championship

Super GT 24h

Le Mans 24

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Ferrari F355 Challenge 2

Cart Fury

NASCAR Racing

Maximum Speed

Romset: 184.6 kb / 39 files / 63.7 zip

----

DEVICE:

Pole Position Custom Sound

WIP:

- 0.192: Changed description to 'Pole Position Custom Sound'.

- 0.149u1: Added 'Pole Position Audio Custom' device (audio\polepos.c).

----
    0.36RC1 [?]

0.36b11 [Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi, Juergen Buchmueller]

0.36b6 [Testdriver]

Artwork available

WIP:

- 0.199: Jordi Beltran Casany, Recreativas.org and The Dumping Union added clone Gran Rally (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position II). Dumped the missing PROMs and confirmed they match the ones from the other bootlegs.

-  9th June 2018: Smitdogg - Thanks to Jordi Beltran Casany and Recreativas.org we got a dump of Gran Rally by Niemer, the company behind El Fin del Tiempo. It's a boot/hack/etc. of Pole Position 2 (http://www.recreativas.org/gran-rally-715-niemer).

- 0.198: Clean up some line write handlers [AJR].

- 0.196: Removed first_screen usage from Namco 51XX device [Ryan Holtz].

- 30th January 2018: Mr. Do - MAMEWorld user gginelli was kind enough to let me know that the shifter was not working in either Pole Position game. When I went to go fix it, I figured I should do it right, and also add in the whole control panel, as the current artwork was kind of hokey. As I got that done, I found other things that needed fixing: the colors were off on the cockpit bezel, and the Atari logo section was not an equal circle on the upright artwork, which also had the colors off a bit. Some time around when I started working on this, Nightvoice had posted a TON of artwork he has been working on for the past months, and it inspired me. A lot of what he had done really aligned with the ideas that I have had for some time now on how each game should look on screen. I ended up going all out on Pole Position and PP2, and cleaned up everything. Full cockpit and upright artwork for both games is done, along with the Euro version of PP2. Of the new artwork added, the marquee and both cpos for PP1 are from the BYOAC / CAG artwork, as is the bezel for the conversion version of PP2. The cpo and bezel for the Euro PP2, along with the gauges for PP1, the various stickers for PP2, and the steering wheel, I created based on multiple photos. The marquee for PP2 was vectored by zorg some time ago, along with the steering wheel logo. All items for all games were color matched together. We are now Prepared to Qualify. For those that only want to see bezel artwork on the screen, but still want the gearshift, I added in extra views that you can apply by going to Video Options while in-game.

- 0.188: Fixed crowd cheering sounds are messed up at the chequered flag goal [Mamesick, Robbbert].

- 0.187: Use MCFG_GENERIC_LATCH_SEPARATE_ACKNOWLEDGE for clones Gran Premio F1 (Italian bootleg of Pole Position II) and Gran Premio F1 (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position II) [AJR].

- 0.183: Corrected DIP switches and locations for clones Gran Premio F1 (Italian bootleg of Pole Position II) and Gran Premio F1 (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position II). Use modern DEVCB features to make extra 4-bit input ports unnecessary [AJR].

- 0.182: Preliminary work on Gran Premio F1 sound system. Sound improvements for bootlegs: Working Spanish/Italian voices in polepos2bi and polepos2bs. DAC for passing car sound in topracern, polepos2bi and polepos2bs. These bootlegs may still be missing explosion sounds [AJR]. Redumped some faulty roms for polepos2bs (the former speech ROM has bit6 fixed), plus added proper bipolar PROMs dumps. Documented the 'A', 'B' and 'C' board edge connectors for polepos2bs [ArcadeHacker, Rockman, Roberto Fresca].

- 0.180: Rockman and ArcadeHacker added clone Gran Premio F1 (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position II).

- 14th November 2016: Roberto Fresca - Thanks to ArcadeHacker and Rockman, we have Gran Premio F1 (spanish bootleg of Pole Position II) dumped. This bootleg has a TMS5220 for spanish voices instead of the Namco 52xx. For now the spanish voices aren't working due to the lack of proper implementation.

- 0.154: Changed 'Pole Position Custom' to 'Pole Position Audio Custom'.

- 0.150: Added DIP locations to the Pole Position 2 sets [Brian Trona]. Fixed rom names. Changed description to 'Pole Position II (Japan)'.

- 0.148u5: Replaced TMS5220N sound with TMS5220 in clone Gran Premio F1 (Italian bootleg of Pole Position II).

- 0.147u2: Hooked up clone 'Gran Premio F1 (Italian bootleg of Pole Position II)' to use the new TMS5220 implementation [Osso].

- 0.143u3: hap fixed high-score music has a hung note throughout and clones Pole Position II (Atari) and Pole Position II (bootleg) does not start.

- 0.142u6: Convert Pole Position driver to MCFG_SCREEN_RAW_PARAMS and scanline-based IRQ timing [Alex Jackson, O. Galibert]. This fixes bad game sound.

- 0.140u1: Derrick Renaud optimized speed of DISCRETE_DAC_R1.

-  6th September 2010: Mr. Do - Awhile back I added in built-in gear shifters for most of the driving games in MAME. But, I neglected to also add them to the external artwork for the games that had them. So go ahead and grab this LAY file update, which adds them in to the five driving games affected, plus also fixes the real artwork for both Pole Postions, which broke some time ago due to a source update.

- 0.139u1: Atari Ace removed global variables from NAMCO sound core.

- 0.138u4: Various improvements to Pole Position driver [Alex Jackson]: Corrected the way the steering wheel is hooked up, fixing the jittery steering in the sets with MCUs. Added a new layout file for the bootleg sets without MCUs (topracern and polepos2bi). Converted clock frequencies to crystal values from xtal.c. Added correct ROM names for the Namco-manufactured sets (polepos and polepos2). Completely removed the unused global variable polepos_gear_bit. Fixed a couple of bootleg ROMs that were very likely bit-rotted.

- 0.135: f205v and David Haywood added clone Gran Premio F1 (Italian bootleg of Pole Position II).

- 24th October 2009: f205v dumped Gran Premio F1 (bootleg 1983). This is an Italian bootleg of Pole Position II with Italian voice.

- 0.133u1: Renamed (poleps2a) to (polepos2a) and (poleps2b) to (polepos2b).

- 0.131u3: Aaron Giles changed the Namco 52xx and 53xx devices to run the actual MCU instead of simulating the behavior. Hooked them up properly in Pole Position. Added mirrors to Pole Position memory maps. Replaced audio Namco 52XX with 3x MB8843 (1536000 Hz) CPU4/5/6. Changed MB8844 CPU7 clock speed to 1536000 Hz.

- 0.130: Kevin Eshbach added placeholders for the two PAL's on Atari's version of Pole Position 1 and 2 (I could not read the last digit of the PAL at 5c).

- 0.129u4: Changed 'Custom' sound to 'Pole Position Custom'.

-  9th January 2009: Mr. Do - I almost missed a pretty cool update that just took place in 0.129 (which Aaron was kind enough to point me at). It seems that a few weeks back (specifically, 0.127u3), Nathan Woods updated things so that artwork can be hooked up to pretty much any input bit. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities (if you use your imagination). So anyway, Aaron took the first step, and added a basic built-in gearshifter to Pole Position and Pole Postion II. And since I already had the other pics done, it only took a couple minutes to hook up the external artwork. So go and redownload Pole Position I and II, and you'll now finally know what gear you're always in.

- 0.129: Aaron Giles added simple built-in layout for Pole Position showing the position of the shifter. Removed debug build hack to popmessage the shifter state.

- 27th December 2008: Mr. Do - Kiltron knocked a few bezels out this month including Pole Position 2, which were on loan from Gene at Vintage Arcade.

- 0.119u3: David Haywood added the rom loading for roms 51xx, 52xx and 53xx.bin, which are dumped but not yet hooked up.

- 0.118u5: Changed palettesize to 3840 colors.

- 0.118u2: Alex Jackson removed redundant hard-coded definitions for Pole Position pedals.

- 0.114u1: Replaced MB88xx CPU4 with MB8844.

- 0.112u2: Replaced 3x DAC sound with Discrete.

- 0.112u1: Replaced implementation of Namco 54xx sound chip with new MB8844 CPU core running the original embedded ROM code. Removed old sound core. Pole Position and Bosconian no longer require samples as a result [Nicola Salmora, Ernesto Corvi, Guru]. Added MB88xx (256000 Hz) CPU4 with 1k rom 54xx.bin. Replaced Namco 54XX and Samples sound with 3x DAC sound.

- 0.97u1: Mamesick removed LO/HI gearshift display in Pole Position II (only enabled in a debug build).

- 0.89u5: Jarek Burczynski improved the Namco 54XX Noise Generator (Type A and B emulated, type C algo still unknown). Removed pp2_17.wav sample.

- 0.79u1: Nicola Salmoria fixed the polepos2 title screen which had been broken since day 1, strange that nobody noticed. Also fixed various mistakes in the polepos ROM loading (polepos2 was using the wrong engine sound ROMs - it's turbo!) and removed various bad dumps from polepos2b and poleps2c, they turned out to be the same version so poleps2c is removed. Changed clock speed of the Z80 and the 2x Z8002 CPUs to 3072000 Hz and added Namco 52XX and Namco 54XX sound.

- 0.76u2: Removed 2nd Player.

- 0.37b12: Changed VSync to 60.606060Hz.

- 0.36RC1: Added Pole Position II and clone Pole Position II (Atari). Changed (Atari set 1) to clone 'Pole Position II (Atari bootleg 1)' and clone (Atari set 2) to 'Pole Position II (Atari bootleg 2)'. Renamed (polepos2) to (poleps2b) and (poleps2a) to (poleps2c).

- 24th February 2000: Aaron Giles added the Japan romset of Pole Position 2.

- 0.36b14: Changed description to 'Pole Position II (Atari set 1)' and clone (set 2) to 'Pole Position II (Atari set 2)'.

- 0.36b12: Added 'Speed' and 'Unknown' dipswitch.

- 18th December 1999: Aaron Giles fixed Pole Position II dipswitches.

- 0.36b11: Added 'Pole Position II (set 1)' (Namco (Atari license) 1983) and clone (set 2) [Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi, Juergen Buchmueller].

- 23rd November 1999: Takahiro Nogi added partial stereo sound to Pole Position.

- 22nd November 1999: Aaron Giles, Ernesto Corvi and Juergen Buchmueller have submitted a fully working Pole Position 1 / 2 driver, it only lacks explosion and screeching tires samples.

- 0.36b6: Added (Testdriver) Pole Position II (bootleg).

LEVELS: 2

Recommended Games (F1-3D):

Turbo

Pole Position

Pole Position II

Laser Grand Prix

TX-1

Driving Force

GP World

WEC Le Mans 24

Continental Circus

Final Lap

Final Lap Twin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)

Final Lap 2

Final Lap 3

Final Lap R

Winning Run

Winning Run Suzuka Grand Prix

Winning Run '91

Super Monaco GP

Super Monaco GP (Mega-Tech)

Driver's Eyes

F1 Exhaust Note

F1 Super Lap

Grand Prix Star

F-1 Grand Prix Star II

Racing Beat

Ground Effects

Virtua Racing

Daytona USA

Daytona USA 2

Daytona USA 2 Power Edition

Ace Driver: Racing Evolution

Ace Driver: Victory Lap

Driver's Edge

F-1 Super Battle

Racin' Force

INDY 500 Twin

Slip Stream

Sega Touring Car Championship

Super GT 24h

Le Mans 24

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Ferrari F355 Challenge 2

Cart Fury

NASCAR Racing

Maximum Speed

Romset: 224.6 kb / 44 files / 78.4 zip

----
    0.141u1 [PinMAME]

Samples required (genpin)

WIP:

- 0.143u3: Stephane Humbert improved and documented dipswitches in Pole Position (Sonic) (after verification of the Z80 code and the manuals when they were found).

- 0.141u1: Added 'Pole Position (Sonic)' (Sonic 1987).

Other Emulators:

* Visual PinMAME

Romset: 24 kb / 3 files / 7.75 zip

----
    0.36b11 [Ernesto Corvi, Juergen Buchmueller, Alex Pasadyn, Aaron Giles]

0.35b9 [Ernesto Corvi, Juergen Buchmueller, Alex Pasadyn]

TODO:

- The bootlegs without Namco devices (topracern, polepos2bi) still require our 06xx and 51xx emulation to boot, this is incorrect.

NOTES:

- To reset the high score table, enter service mode, press the accelerator and change the shifter from LO to HI.

- Pole Position II reports 'Manual Start' on the Test Mode. This is ok, because they had to accommodate the hardware from Pole Position I to allow track selection.

- Change POLEPOS_TOGGLE to 0 if you are using the original gearshift.

- The old version of the vertical scaling ROM, 136014-131, has (apart from some irrelevant differences) one bad bit. This seems to be a genuine error on Atari's part, since they replaced it with 136014-231 which matches Namco's PP1-27. The bad bit should cause a tiny gfx glitch, though it's difficult to notice.

WIP:

- 0.205: Removed NAMCO_06XX MCFG macros [Osso]. Removed Z80, Z8002, TIMER, SCREEN, PALETTE, NAMCO and GFXDECODE MCFG macros [Ryan Holtz].

- 0.204: Removed NAMCO_52XX and NAMCO_54XX MCFG macros [Osso].

- 0.202: Allow watchdog timer to take any tag-like for the screen tag rather than only C strings [Vas Crabb]. Removed WATCHDOG MCFG macros [Osso].

- 0.201: Removed NVRAM MCFG macros [Ryan Holtz].

- 0.199: Removed machine().device usage [Ryan Holtz].

- 0.198: Added audio\polepos.h.

- 0.189: Added new 74LS259 device [AJR].

- 0.173: Merged sound\filter.cpp/h with audio\polepos.cpp/h (only Pole Position/II use it). Removed unused function [Miodrag Milanovic].

- 0.148u2: Modernized Pole Position sound devices [Andrew Gardner].

- 0.147u4: Fixed some incorrect Z800x opcodes and address register math in segment mode [Christian Groessler].

- 0.147u3: Fixed implementation of trdb, trdrb, trib, trirb, trtdb, trtdrb, trtib and trtirb instructions (cpu\z8000\z8000ops.c) [Christian Groessler, R. Belmont].

- 0.146u1: Handle Z800x vectored interrupts correctly [Christian Groessler].

- 0.142u3: Angelo Salese removed deprecat.h dependancy and updated irqs accordingly for Pole Position driver.

- 0.138u4: Added layout\topracer.lay.

- 0.129: Added layout\polepos.lay.

- 0.128u6: Updated Z8000 tables to reflect recent findings [Juergen Buchmueller]. Pointer-ified the Z8000 core [Aaron Giles].

- 0.112u2: Added includes\polepos.h.

- 0.109u5: Aaron Giles converted the Z8000 disassemblers to the new format and added step in/out support where it was obvious.

- 0.93: Added clock parameter to Namco sound (48000 Hz).

- 0.79u1: Removed machine\polepos.c.

- 0.37b12: Added sound\filter.c/h. New filtering code for the audio mixer. It is applied to audio streams generated at a sampling rate different from the sound card's one, improving quality.

- 0.36b11: Added sndhrdw\polepos.c.

- 0.35b9: Added (Testdriver) polepos.c driver, machine\polepos.c and vidhrdw\polepos.c.

- 0.35b2: Z8000 emulator [Juergen Buchmueller].

----
    Name:  dips.PNG
Views: 385
Size:  378.8 KBName:  game over.PNG
Views: 381
Size:  80.6 KB
  7. 08-02-2019, 05:31 AM
    Good choice using a mouse...I use it for titles like "Night Driver" and it feels better to use than the arcade steering wheel or a dial-controller.
    Thanks linuxriverrat thanked this post
Join us