ZX Spectrum EMU submissions

1. ZX Spectrum EMU submissions

09-13-2019, 02:54 PM
    I am trying to submit a ZX Spectrum (Emulator) high score. I have the RZX input file of my session. However, when I get to the 'submit' page, I get an error message saying that I must provide a link to a video.
    I have no actual video of the session. Am I required to generate a video from my original RZX file before my submission will be accepted?
  2. 09-13-2019, 04:41 PM
    Update: I managed to generate a video with RZX playback on FUSE, but the video has audio sync issues. I will need to experiment further.
  3. 09-13-2019, 04:53 PM
    You have to use the Spectaculator EMU for submissions here-check mine or Barthax's submissions for the proper settings to show.

Good Luck!!!
    Wubalubadubdub!
    Thanks EllieM thanked this post
  4. 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco View Post
    You have to use the Spectaculator EMU for submissions here-check mine or Barthax's submissions for the proper settings to show.

Good Luck!!!
    Yes, I did play my game on Spectaculator and saved my session as RZX. The problem was that I didn't have an actual video. I have now generated one by replaying the RZX file on another emulator with video capture. I see that you have a lot of submissions, and I'm not sure how to find just your Spectrum ones?
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  5. 09-13-2019, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieM View Post
    Yes, I did play my game on Spectaculator and saved my session as RZX. The problem was that I didn't have an actual video. I have now generated one by replaying the RZX file on another emulator with video capture. I see that you have a lot of submissions, and I'm not sure how to find just your Spectrum ones?
    Click "TG Records", then "Leaderboards"-then check the box on ZX Spectrum on the far left, that will give you a list of all games tracked.

As far as the RZX, I have to say-I don't know if that's "OK" or not, it truly could be, or completely could not be-hoping @Barthax will chime in, he REALLY knows his stuff on ZX!
    Wubalubadubdub!
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland, nads liked this post
  6. 09-13-2019, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco View Post
    Click "TG Records", then "Leaderboards"-then check the box on ZX Spectrum on the far left, that will give you a list of all games tracked.

As far as the RZX, I have to say-I don't know if that's "OK" or not, it truly could be, or completely could not be-hoping @Barthax will chime in, he REALLY knows his stuff on ZX!
    Yeah, I found it thanks. This record is from 2010 and back then there wasn't any rule about videoing the original gameplay footage, and I'm not sure if there now is? I recognise Barthax as he actually verified my previous scores in 2008/2009 with RZX files only. I did try submitting this score back in the day, but that particular game was listed as "grandfathered" on TG. I only recently re-joined TG and I finally got my profile 'verified' today.
    Likes Garrett Holland, Barthax liked this post
  7. 09-14-2019, 03:09 AM
    Yeah, I found it thanks. This record is from 2010 and back then there wasn't any rule about videoing the original gameplay footage, and I'm not sure if there now is? I recognise Barthax as he actually verified my previous scores in 2008/2009 with RZX files only. I did try submitting this score back in the day, but that particular game was listed as "grandfathered" on TG. I only recently re-joined TG and I finally got my profile 'verified' today.
    Hi Ellie,

Great to see you back. :D Unfortunately, times have changed. I've got a bunch of RZX performances that wouldn't pass muster either. :(

Realistically, you need video footage of the actual attempt and not a playback of an RZX file to get accepted. As Roger mentioned, if you check out mine or Roger's recent ZX Spectrum emulator submissions for a rough guide - a "show everything" method on the emulator first to ensure there's no cheating going on and then the attempt.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Likes Rogerpoco, EllieM liked this post
  8. 09-14-2019, 03:13 AM
    For the general audience:

An RZX file is a replay file for many ZX Spectrum emulators in just the same way as INP files are replay files for MAME. RZX is a standard and multiple ZX Spectrum emulators support it and should be able to playback each other's RZX files. Unfortunately, there's multiple ZX Spectrum emulators which have a "rewind" feature so that the player can keep repeating difficult sections and generate a "perfect" run. Back in old TG as the ZX Spectrum Referee, I had a ban on the-then-only emulator with the rewind feature but there's now multiple emulators that support it & the old tools I used are no longer relevant in catching a rewind (march of time).
    Likes Rogerpoco, EllieM liked this post
  9. 09-14-2019, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Hi Ellie,

Great to see you back. :D Unfortunately, times have changed. I've got a bunch of RZX performances that wouldn't pass muster either. :(

Realistically, you need video footage of the actual attempt and not a playback of an RZX file to get accepted. As Roger mentioned, if you check out mine or Roger's recent ZX Spectrum emulator submissions for a rough guide - a "show everything" method on the emulator first to ensure there's no cheating going on and then the attempt.
    OK then, sorry about that. I understand that you have to be more strict these days. I also have a 251K Donkey Kong MAME score (Check my youtube), but I see that I won't be able to submit that either as I didn't use WolfMAME and it's also only an INP.

Could you clarify exactly what is required? Must I have footage of launching Spectaculator and loading the game up for every attempt? I've never used screen capture software, so I would need to look into that too.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  10. 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM
    Could you clarify exactly what is required? Must I have footage of launching Spectaculator and loading the game up for every attempt? I've never used screen capture software, so I would need to look into that too.
    No apology needed - times change, the requirements change. :(

The official guidelines are very lax on what's required but the adjudicators (everyone is an adjudicator if they want to be) typically look for ensuring there's no cheating. I would recommend footage of loading Spectaculator, going through all the menu options that have an effect on game play / emulated hardware (lots) and then loading the game (if tape, then show the Tape emulator screen too). Here's a recent submission on Hong Kong Phooey where I go through all that: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/207151 . Once the game is loading - just keep on playing. :)

For screen capture, I use Open Broadcast Software - it's widely regarded and used: https://obsproject.com
    Likes EllieM liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us