ZX Spectrum EMU submissions

1. 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    No apology needed - times change, the requirements change. :(

The official guidelines are very lax on what's required but the adjudicators (everyone is an adjudicator if they want to be) typically look for ensuring there's no cheating. I would recommend footage of loading Spectaculator, going through all the menu options that have an effect on game play / emulated hardware (lots) and then loading the game (if tape, then show the Tape emulator screen too). Here's a recent submission on Hong Kong Phooey where I go through all that: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/207151 . Once the game is loading - just keep on playing. :)

For screen capture, I use Open Broadcast Software - it's widely regarded and used: https://obsproject.com
    I have OBS now and it seems to work well. One further point that I would like to ask about though is regarding displaying all the emulator settings in the video footage (by going through all the dialog boxes etc). Would it be permissible to do this at the END rather than the beginning - i.e. AFTER the gameplay footage? (without restarting the emulator obviously). My reasoning here is that it can take many attempts before reaching a new high score and there is no way to known in advance if a high-score attempt will be successful, so it would be rather annoying to show ALL the settings at the beginning of every attempt, only to then fail that attempt! Showing all the settings at the END would only be needed on successful attempts as these are the only ones that would be submitted. I hope that makes sense.
  2. 09-15-2019, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieM View Post
    I have OBS now and it seems to work well. One further point that I would like to ask about though is regarding displaying all the emulator settings in the video footage (by going through all the dialog boxes etc). Would it be permissible to do this at the END rather than the beginning - i.e. AFTER the gameplay footage? (without restarting the emulator obviously). My reasoning here is that it can take many attempts before reaching a new high score and there is no way to known in advance if a high-score attempt will be successful, so it would be rather annoying to show ALL the settings at the beginning of every attempt, only to then fail that attempt! Showing all the settings at the END would only be needed on successful attempts as these are the only ones that would be submitted. I hope that makes sense.
    The TGSAP system is about providing enough evidence to support your achievement to the audience - an audience that potentially isn't going to know stuff or may know stuff intimately. Once you're on the scoreboard, the evidence also needs to sway the future audience also as they may Dispute the score also. You get to decide how much evidence is "good enough" and then put it to the test by submitting.

If you're going to show the settings at the end, does that really confirm something? For example, if you show there's no cheats after your attempt, does that mean there were no cheats before or during the attempt? My recommendation is to show the settings before but the choice is yours. :)
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  3. 09-16-2019, 01:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    The TGSAP system is about providing enough evidence to support your achievement to the audience - an audience that potentially isn't going to know stuff or may know stuff intimately. Once you're on the scoreboard, the evidence also needs to sway the future audience also as they may Dispute the score also. You get to decide how much evidence is "good enough" and then put it to the test by submitting.

If you're going to show the settings at the end, does that really confirm something? For example, if you show there's no cheats after your attempt, does that mean there were no cheats before or during the attempt? My recommendation is to show the settings before but the choice is yours. :)
    As long as the emulator is not restarted before showing the settings, then it should. I also intend to record an RZX of the session too, using 'tournament mode'. I have checked, and this completely disables the 'rewind' function in Spectaculator. That way, I will still be able to record my RZX (in addition to OBS screen video) with the assurance that no rewind function is in use. I actually used Spectaculator's 'tournament mode' on all my previous RZX submissions, including the latest one.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us