TI-99 Questionable Scores...

1. 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Just a quick reminder:
    - multiple people arrive at the site, exclaim a bunch of scores are impossible and then go on to surpass those "impossible" scores.
    - seasoned TG submitters sometimes look at other scores, exclaim they can't be possible and then go on to surpass those "impossible" scores.
    - developers rarely test their games the way seasoned gamers do.
    That absolutely happens, so I agree 100%. What also happens:
    - multiple people arrive at the site, exclaim for example that 5.51 is not possible in Dragster and that 100,000km on Enduro is not possible, and are met with responses like "How do you know it's not possible? People have asserted scores are impossible before, and then went on to surpass those impossible scores", just to find out the scores are indeed impossible.
    - seasoned TG submitters sometimes look at other scores, exclaim they can't be possible, and then ultimately provide proof that the scores are indeed not possible.
    Likes Joonas, reidman445 liked this post
  2. 09-20-2019, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    That absolutely happens, so I agree 100%. What also happens:
    - multiple people arrive at the site, exclaim for example that 5.51 is not possible in Dragster and that 100,000km on Enduro is not possible, and are met with responses like "How do you know it's not possible? People have asserted scores are impossible before, and then went on to surpass those impossible scores", just to find out the scores are indeed impossible.
    - seasoned TG submitters sometimes look at other scores, exclaim they can't be possible, and then ultimately provide proof that the scores are indeed not possible.
    Of course & the latter needs to be done here (or what I described earlier). ;)
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM
    Of course & the latter needs to be done here. ;)
    Absolutely ... but I certainly wouldn't blame anyone (or everyone) for expressing their doubts as to the veracity of any score. There have been too many score submissions found ultimately to have been garbage. It makes me wonder how many other scores are garbage that remain (and will continue to remain) because they haven't been scrutinized, and even if they were, proof cannot possibly be provided so nobody says anything.
    Thanks reidman445 thanked this post
    Likes reidman445 liked this post
  4. 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    Absolutely ... but I certainly wouldn't blame anyone (or everyone) for expressing their doubts as to the veracity of any score. There have been too many score submissions found ultimately to have been garbage. It makes me wonder how many other scores are garbage that remain (and will continue to remain) because they haven't been scrutinized, and even if they were, proof cannot possibly be provided so nobody says anything.
    It's easy to find wide-spreadh fault with a small number of high profile faults. The simplest method is game on. :D
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  5. 09-20-2019, 02:00 PM
    The simplest method is game on. :D
    That certainly is the most effective method ;-) I'm pretty sure bitching about a score is pretty simple, though XD
  6. 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM
    It's easy to find wide-spreadh fault with a small number of high profile faults. The simplest method is game on. :D
    Here, how about Game On like this:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/eventde...re-fight#share
    Thanks Garrett Holland, reidman445 thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland, Barthax, reidman445 liked this post
  7. 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM
    Anecdotal, of course but:

http://xona.com/about/computers/ti994a/parsec.html

We stopped playing Parsec when my brother, Jason Doucette, mastered it. He played it past level 16 (level 16 repeats forever), wrapped the score (past 1,000,000), and was accumulating lives faster than he was losing them.Level 16 would have to be played approximately 15-18 times to achieve 1,000,000 points (based on the highest [65,600 point] and lowest [55,200 point] level 16 scores by Jason in a recent Parsec game played on the Classic99 emulator; He reached level 31 when his computer hung up due to a Windows XP hibernation crash; He averaged 56,081 points per each level 16.) Jason died on purpose multiple times, over and over again, until the screen showed that he only had a few lives left. He then continued to play and was able to accumulate many lives again. He repeated the dying procedure over and over. It became apparent that the game was "beat". All of this was done without any cheats and he eventually just gave up due to boredom. Anyone who has played Parsec knows this is far from a common occurrence. I recall one of the Parsec programmers, Jim Dramis, only acheived a maximum score of 77,000 points.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks Garrett Holland, reidman445 thanked this post
    Likes reidman445 liked this post
  8. 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM
    Found this with a web search:

http://xona.com/about/computers/ti994a/parsec.html

"We stopped playing Parsec when my brother, Jason Doucette, mastered it. He played it past level 16 (level 16 repeats forever), wrapped the score (past 1,000,000), and was accumulating lives faster than he was losing them.Level 16 would have to be played approximately 15-18 times to achieve 1,000,000 points (based on the highest [65,600 point] and lowest [55,200 point] level 16 scores by Jason in a recent Parsec game played on the Classic99 emulator; He reached level 31 when his computer hung up due to a Windows XP hibernation crash; He averaged 56,081 points per each level 16.) Jason died on purpose multiple times, over and over again, until the screen showed that he only had a few lives left. He then continued to play and was able to accumulate many lives again. He repeated the dying procedure over and over. It became apparent that the game was "beat". All of this was done without any cheats and he eventually just gave up due to boredom. Anyone who has played Parsec knows this is far from a common occurrence. I recall one of the Parsec programmers, Jim Dramis, only acheived a maximum score of 77,000 points."

Note there are a LOT of tricks listed on this page. How to back out of the refueling tunnel and avoid the tough parts of the hardest one.
  9. 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM
    @Barthax Jinx!
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  10. 09-20-2019, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    @Barthax Jinx!
    Thanks for the tourney which made me look for an emulator so I could experience it and stumbled onto that page as a result. :D
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us