TI-99 Questionable Scores...

1. 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Thanks for the tourney which made me look for an emulator so I could experience it and stumbled onto that page as a result. :D
    Yeah, I'm gonna do the same thing.

Should we get an EMU track created for Parsec while we're at it?
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  2. 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM
    Anecdotal, of course but:

http://xona.com/about/computers/ti994a/parsec.html

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    We can do anecdotes ;-)

In the same article:

"My brother, Jason Doucette, and I discovered that if you press the joystick button and the corresponding "fire" button on the keyboard simultaneously, the laser never overheats..."

... and ...

"Another cheat is holding up allows you to pass through the screen forwards and backwards. This allows you to gradually speed up more and more, if you wish, as you can continually go through the screen. The cheat is, if you time it right, you can get "stuck" on the left side of the screen with your engine blast (the blast coming out the backend of your ship) on the right side of the screen, making you unreachable by enemy shots. "

... the latter being revealed just before the paragraph that you included. He didn't say he got the score using the cheats ... but he didn't say he didn't, either.
  3. 09-20-2019, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    We can do anecdotes ;-)

In the same article:

"My brother, Jason Doucette, and I discovered that if you press the joystick button and the corresponding "fire" button on the keyboard simultaneously, the laser never overheats..."

... and ...

"Another cheat is holding up allows you to pass through the screen forwards and backwards. This allows you to gradually speed up more and more, if you wish, as you can continually go through the screen. The cheat is, if you time it right, you can get "stuck" on the left side of the screen with your engine blast (the blast coming out the backend of your ship) on the right side of the screen, making you unreachable by enemy shots. "

... the latter being revealed just before the paragraph that you included. He didn't say he got the score using the cheats ... but he didn't say he didn't, either.
    "All of this was done without any cheats"
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  4. 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM
    Ahhh, yes ... I see that was said now.
  5. 09-20-2019, 10:20 PM
    Ah yes, we should just blindly believe what someone writes in an article. If there is no video evidence, I'll never believe a word someone says in an article about gaming highscore performance.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 09-20-2019, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonas View Post
    If there is no video evidence, I'll never believe a word someone says in an article about gaming highscore performance.
    I have good reason to believe that such is how most people feel.
    Last edited by Garrett Holland; 09-21-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Clarity
  7. 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    C'mon people, 5 hours left, someone else submit!
    Likes reidman445 liked this post
  8. 09-23-2019, 08:32 PM
    http://highscore.com/games/TI994A/Parsec/6819.

I haven't found anything over the 70k 'ish' range after days of searching online, this score is 100 percent bogus and needs a dispute...
  9. 09-25-2019, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reidman445 View Post
    http://highscore.com/games/TI994A/Parsec/6819.

I haven't found anything over the 70k 'ish' range after days of searching online, this score is 100 percent bogus and needs a dispute...
    Of course, this is all predicted as above but where's the proof it's bogus? Just because your skills aren't good enough to match it?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  10. 11-04-2019, 07:23 AM
    Hi all,

I just posted my attempt on Parsec played on real hardware and original game cartridge, posted here: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...0=#post1060160

Have over time looked at the current hi-score, a bit more than impressed - so to speak.

But if you look at my video i make more than 100K in score before the end of level 4, if we say a level is color change of the ground. So the information in one of the post that you have to reach level 15 before getting close to 1000K seems a bit off. The problem when reaching level +3 is the laser, you have only a few shots in a row - otherwise your laser will overheat.

So do i think it´s possible to beat the #1 record, yes, in the near future.

Do i think the current #1 is real, well maybe, i think they don´t remember the precise way they reached that score...

But it would be nice to see the video that seems to be the proof, not just for fun / proof - but also to learn how they did it.

Brgds

LFS
    Thanks GibGirl, Barthax thanked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us