Hyrule Warriors Legends - Old 3DS vs New 3DS

1. Hyrule Warriors Legends - Old 3DS vs New 3DS

10-02-2019, 11:16 AM
    So @thegamer1185 and I have been playing Hyrule Warriors Legends and we came across some differences between the old 3DS and a New 3DS for the way Hyrule Warriors Legends loads the missions and enemies.

The old 3DS tends to load less enemies and runs at a lower frame rate.
    The New 3DS loads more enemies and runs at a higher frame rate.

This has an effect on many missions. Especially the ones where hoards of enemies have to be defeated to complete the missions.

The old 3DS seems to have an advantage by loading some enemies faster, making times here out of reach for a New 3DS.
    Some missions on the old 3DS take longer to load, so that puts the old 3DS at a disadvantage and may not be able to beat any times set on the New 3DS.

Some missions it may not matter which 3DS console is played.

Regardless, the game does not load and run the same between 3DS consoles. Similar to playing on a Game Boy vs playing on Super Game Boy.

What should be done here?
    -Make New 3DS a separate console, copy and paste the Hyrule Warriors Legends tracks, and move the times by @thegamer1185 there
    -Make separate tracks only for the levels where New 3DS has an advantage or disadvantage.
    -Leave as is, tracking both old and New 3DS consoles on the same scoreboard
    Thanks Garrett Holland, mcmike953 thanked this post
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  2. 10-02-2019, 04:07 PM
    Making the new 3ds a different platform seems excessive to me. I'd go with making separate tracks for old and new 3ds where applicable.
    Thanks starcrytas thanked this post
  3. 10-03-2019, 03:17 AM
    They're all 3DS so no need for a new platform.

The problem with this dilemma is it's really up to the individual that wants new tracks. Getting consensus between the active players is great but at any time in the future someone can just create new tracks anyway.

If someone wants to go ahead with the new 3DS then I would caution the need for a discussion on rules for identifying the limit of console versions (especially as the 3DS is still being made).
  4. 10-03-2019, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragequit View Post
    Making the new 3ds a different platform seems excessive to me. I'd go with making separate tracks for old and new 3ds where applicable.
    Kyle Nelson are beating all your 1000 records for this game and this is the best way to avoid Kyle beat his records.

HWL will works 100% in both 3DS without a "illegal advantage" like he are looking for.

New 3DS games needs to be tracked for exclusive games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
    Rodrigo Lopes
    Former Twin Galaxies Referee
    Metroid Team Member from Brazil
  5. 10-03-2019, 05:22 AM
    I akin this to most modern games. Games are updated and changed these days. Pick the best version that works for you. As @Barthax said, it's still a 3DS.

My take is there is finally some competition on this game. Do we want 500 tracks with 1 score each or 1 game with competition? Obviously anyone these days can make as many tracks as they want. You can make a track that say use a New 3DS on firmware 1.23.45 while Hyrule Warriors needs to be version 2.x.34 if you want.
    Likes Barthax, MyOwnWorstEnemy liked this post
  6. 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM
    I'm sorry. I assumed that everyone agreed that there are actual differences between how HW plays on the old vs. new 3ds. It didn't seem that far fetched to me as the new 3ds/2ds models do have better specs than the older models and games that lag on the old 3ds run way smoother on the new 3ds . If there was a side by side comparison of how the game runs pertaining to what starcrystas is talking about that would be great.
  7. 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconian View Post
    Kyle Nelson are beating all your 1000 records for this game and this is the best way to avoid Kyle beat his records.

HWL will works 100% in both 3DS without a "illegal advantage" like he are looking for.
    Kyle indeed has the skills to beat my scores, no question.

However, if you do a simple search on Youtube, you'd find this:

Notice how fast the text boxes appear and disappear and how the missions load.
    The game being in Japanese has no effect.
    Thanks Ragequit thanked this post
  8. 10-03-2019, 05:02 PM
    Yeah it does look like more enemies are spawned overall in the new3ds probably because it can handle more enemies on screen without crashing
  9. 10-03-2019, 05:53 PM
    Never fear everyone, Under Dog is here. So I actually contacted Matthew about this and it's all true. Even the part about Santa Claus. So as I was playing and going mission by mission, I came across one that I couldn't even come close too. I think it was G4 on the Adventure Map. I mimicked everything Matthew did, and I'm pretty sure we are pretty on par to the same skill level that we would be within a few seconds of one another, he was already at the boss before I even cleared the final Keep to advance to the boss. So I started comparing videos and realized that his enemies were spawning instantly after he killed a group. In mine no matter what I did, it took at least 3-4 seconds. Multiply that 3-4s by the 4 keeps and it adds up to time I was behind and I was almost always 18-20 seconds behind by the time he finished the level

So are started comparing things. He uses an original 3DS (I think, there is an original 3DS, a NEW 3DS, and a New 3DS XL), I use the New 3DS XL. Also, I believe his game is a digital download while mine is a cartridge. After checking that internet thing I don't think the copy of the game matters, digital or hard, but the system does. And it's been confirmed by a few people that they in fact process the games differently and I noticed it myself, obviously. So what this means is that on missions where killing groups of enemies to advance, mainly capturing the keeps missions and "All attacks are devastating", the old 3DS has a big advantage. My submission vs Matthews submissions linked here will show you exactly what I mean.

Matthew gets a 19 on this mission because the enemies spawn much faster allowing faster kills.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/210347

My submission I have to wait until the enemies finally disappear before more spawn. Note: Fairy Nukes do kill enemies that haven't spawned yet which is why in certain areas you get huge chunks of kills and sometimes they aren't as much. Regardless of how the Nukes work, the New 3DS still has a delay after the groups have been killed.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/209766

On the flip side, Matthew you will have to give the mission number that you couldn't beat, he simply can't come close to my time because the New 3DS does process the game better overall hence giving me the advantage on other missions where running around and killing individual enemies is the goal. I have noticed the "Kill all Enemies" and "Quiz" missions seem to play the same on the systems.

I really don't think splitting the systems up is necessary. We have no idea if there are other changes on other games unless testing is done. I haven't done any other research but just saying that this is an insanely large file sized game compared to other 3DS titles. I think it's 4 times as big actually. Could be wrong on that.. I am OK simply having to concede some records to Matthew because of these differences. It's crazy I even found them but Matthew and I talked about it privately and figured it was the best course to at least make it known to everyone that there could be some difference depending on the handheld.

To be fair, I'm going to buy an original 3DS anyway so it really doesn't matter to me at this point what happens with the scores. I'm simply skipping the missions that are enemy based until I get it. I've got 4 kids who all play so buying another system makes sense, however it might not for others. At any rate, I will do some comparing on other games when I get it just to see if it affects other games as well.

I do think that if there ARE differences across all games, then all these handheld systems should be there own platform...even though that would be a huge pain in the ass to do. Maybe making a note in the track rules that the systems do play game differently is the best course for now until further testing is done.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  10. 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragequit View Post
    I'm sorry. I assumed that everyone agreed that there are actual differences between how HW plays on the old vs. new 3ds. It didn't seem that far fetched to me as the new 3ds/2ds models do have better specs than the older models and games that lag on the old 3ds run way smoother on the new 3ds . If there was a side by side comparison of how the game runs pertaining to what starcrystas is talking about that would be great.
    I've linked to a submission by myself and Matthew above. If you watch them you will see how those scenarios the OLD 3DS crushes how the New 3DS processes the game. Looks like the old boy has the advantage in this scenario.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us