Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - Columns - Sega Genesis / Mega Drive - Points - 133,010 - Ryan Genno

Is this a valid score?

    This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - Columns - Sega Genesis / Mega Drive - Points - 133,010 - Ryan Genno

    09-20-2019, 01:41 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:


    Sega Genesis / Mega Drive - Points
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=24003
    Rules
    Arcade Mode, Normal Difficulty [Via the Options Menu]
    Special Rules: You may freely choose your Starting Level. Continues are NOT allowed!
    Submission Message
    Run from 8:28 to 14:30.

  2. 09-20-2019, 07:18 AM
    Voting no. The track is for VC. You are playing a Genesis emu + rom.
    Thanks Pixe Sukola thanked this post
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  3. 09-20-2019, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    Voting no. The track is for VC. You are playing a Genesis emu + rom.
    The most recently released console I know anything at all about is the Atari 2600 released in 1977. Anything newer, and I'm an ignorant dolt about it. Since that's the case, I have quick questions about the objection:
    1. Is the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console designed to do something other than play downloaded ROMs?
    2. Given that the name of the category is "Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - Sega Genesis / Mega Drive", is there a different Sega Genesis platform accessible on a Nintendo Wii other than the one used in this performance that should have been used instead?
    3. Do all of the scores that have been submitted under Nintendo Wii Virtual Console to date need to be moved to emulator tracks?
    4. If the answers to #1 and #2 are "no" and #3 is "yes", then why have this category at all?
  4. 09-20-2019, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    The most recently released console I know anything at all about is the Atari 2600 released in 1977. Anything newer, and I'm an ignorant dolt about it. Since that's the case, I have quick questions about the objection:
    1. Is the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console designed to do something other than play downloaded ROMs?
    2. Given that the name of the category is "Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - Sega Genesis / Mega Drive", is there a different Sega Genesis platform accessible on a Nintendo Wii other than the one used in this performance that should have been used instead?
    3. Do all of the scores that have been submitted under Nintendo Wii Virtual Console to date need to be moved to emulator tracks?
    4. If the answers to #1 and #2 are "no" and #3 is "yes", then why have this category at all?
    Virtual Console was a store run by Nintendo where you could buy and download games from older systems, Nintendo and otherwise. Columns was available for purchase from the store. A game purchased from the Nintendo store is designed to run on the Nintendo hardware. So the track itself is correct.

    The player here is using the Wii to launch Genesis emulator, then loading a Genesis rom. The Genesis rom in this form is not designed to run on Nintendo hardware, thus the usage of an emulator.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Marcade, onlyinajeep liked this post
  5. 09-20-2019, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    Virtual Console was a store run by Nintendo where you could buy and download games from older systems, Nintendo and otherwise. Columns was available for purchase from the store. A game purchased from the Nintendo store is designed to run on the Nintendo hardware. So the track itself is correct.

    The player here is using the Wii to launch Genesis emulator, then loading a Genesis rom. The Genesis rom in this form is not designed to run on Nintendo hardware, thus the usage of an emulator.
    I see... two follow up questions.

    1. Since this Wii is designed to play downloaded games (albeit exclusively from the Wii store as you said), how can it play any Genesis game (even their official downloadable version for the Wii store) if not through some sort of emulation? Wouldn't all Nintendo Wii Virtual console games effectively be considered emulation in such a case, whether the ROMs are obtained through legitimate or illegitimate means?

    2. Is the advice being given that although both are "emulation" of some sort, this player simply submitted to the wrong emulation platform?
  6. 09-20-2019, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    I see... two follow up questions.

    1. Since this Wii is designed to play downloaded games (albeit exclusively from the Wii store as you said), how can it play any Genesis game (even their official downloadable version for the Wii store) if not through some sort of emulation? Wouldn't all Nintendo Wii Virtual console games effectively be considered emulation in such a case, whether the ROMs are obtained through legitimate or illegitimate means?

    2. Is the advice being given that although both are "emulation" of some sort, this player simply submitted to the wrong emulation platform?

    1: I have no idea if VC directly emulates or if the games are recoded for native Wii play.
    2: That is my opinion, yes

    If you notice on the launch screen for the Wii in the submission video, there are tiles for Moto Roader, Splatter house, Vigilante, etc... Those would be how a game purchased from VC and designed to run on the Wii are supposed to appear.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  7. 09-20-2019, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    1: I have no idea if VC directly emulates or if the games are recoded for native Wii play.
    Wikipedia says "These titles are run in their original forms through software emulation" so there is that answer.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  8. 09-20-2019, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    Wikipedia says "These titles are run in their original forms through software emulation" so there is that answer.

    But keeping that in mind, let's look to the NES Classic. The NES Classic emulates, and is its own platform on TG. But recently a member here wanted to use it to play Tetris, which is not included on the NES Classic, it was hacked in. So that player had to submit under NES platform/Emu track.

    I would accept this performance under Genesis platform/Emu track, but not under Wii VC.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  9. 09-20-2019, 09:30 PM
    The problem is I seen others use Everdrive emulation and Roms loaded for different submissions here like when someone submits a run for Mario Kart but it's not the real cartridge. With the prices of these titles now of days the use of Everdive emulation is a great legal way to use submissions here. The Virtual Console too is also emulation but just under a different name for the Wii just like a Everdrive service. I think it would be a problem if I using cheats or an altered rom file but I didn't do that here and the Columns Rom file is identical to the one used on the VC as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    But keeping that in mind, let's look to the NES Classic. The NES Classic emulates, and is its own platform on TG. But recently a member here wanted to use it to play Tetris, which is not included on the NES Classic, it was hacked in. So that player had to submit under NES platform/Emu track.

    I would accept this performance under Genesis platform/Emu track, but not under Wii VC.
    -Ohya, baby! I'm the first ever dude on the planet to get a documented PERFECT score on Bonk's Adventure!
    I also have a high score on Alfred Chicken.... yeah, not as good.
    http://videogames101.com
    or http://www.youtube.com/user/starsoldier1
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  10. 09-20-2019, 10:12 PM
    With the issue of the Tetris run from a NES Classic is that Tetris wasn't one of the original 30 games released on the Mini so it shouldn't be listed on the NES Classic submissions. Columns was released on the Virtual Console emulation service but buying the game now is nearly impossible with the Wii Shop discontinued as of 2018 so finding another way to play these titles should be legal if the ROM file is legitimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    But keeping that in mind, let's look to the NES Classic. The NES Classic emulates, and is its own platform on TG. But recently a member here wanted to use it to play Tetris, which is not included on the NES Classic, it was hacked in. So that player had to submit under NES platform/Emu track.

    I would accept this performance under Genesis platform/Emu track, but not under Wii VC.
    -Ohya, baby! I'm the first ever dude on the planet to get a documented PERFECT score on Bonk's Adventure!
    I also have a high score on Alfred Chicken.... yeah, not as good.
    http://videogames101.com
    or http://www.youtube.com/user/starsoldier1
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us