GUINNESS GAMERS EDITION SNUBS TWIN GALAXIES AGAIN

1. 09-28-2019, 11:37 AM
    Am I going crazy or did I hear that TG would do something like making their own book in the future? Is that idea out the window too?
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco, datagod liked this post
  2. 09-28-2019, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidious View Post
    Am I going crazy or did I hear that TG would do something like making their own book in the future? Is that idea out the window too?
    I'm not sure, technically, that you can "go" to a place you are already "at".
    :D
    Lol, messing with ya.
    Yeah, I remember something about that. Ideas fade to memories a lot around here it seems, just something to learn to roll with.

(No lie, book, no book, I don't really care, I just wanted to make the "crazy" joke, tbh.)
    :P
    Lack of outgoing PM's lately=Seasonal Affective Disorder, lasts a couple weeks.
    Winter sucks.
    Thanks Desidious thanked this post
    Likes Desidious liked this post
  3. 10-01-2019, 09:07 AM
    we need allen staal back. wall jumps were guiness worthy records. lately people have just been playing traditional donkey kong and such. if people want guiness attention then we need guiness quality records like wall jumps. reach out to allen, bring him back, he's the only modern day classic gamer that really has what guiness wants.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
    Likes datagod liked this post
  4. 10-01-2019, 09:13 AM
    i should probably clarify the above point is neither a criticism nor a joke, evne though it makes me laugh its still serious. lets try to remember what every organiation specializes in

guiness -- "omg look at this crazy thing", wordls longest fingernail, worlds longest penis (which has an argument over ******** should count in the measurement, i kid you not). being the best in the world at anything of course requires some talent, even silly things, to be the best takes effort. but you gotta recognize it is those silly things guiness goes for. they dont care about highly skill intensive specialized game technique. they care about "haha look at this, thats the craziest thing" or "awww look at that adorable thing"

guiness likes simple easy to understand things. Are you games simple and easy to understand? if so probably not a guiness world record.

Twin Galaxies -- hello fellow specialized nerds, look at this amazing score that only amazing gamers are capable of truly appreciating.

rather than trying to get guiness to care about specialized skill intensive feats, maybe the better focus is to try get tg to the point where its more respected and known.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  5. 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    i should probably clarify the above point is neither a criticism nor a joke, evne though it makes me laugh its still serious. lets try to remember what every organiation specializes in

guiness -- "omg look at this crazy thing", wordls longest fingernail, worlds longest penis (which has an argument over ******** should count in the measurement, i kid you not). being the best in the world at anything of course requires some talent, even silly things, to be the best takes effort. but you gotta recognize it is those silly things guiness goes for. they dont care about highly skill intensive specialized game technique. they care about "haha look at this, thats the craziest thing" or "awww look at that adorable thing"

guiness likes simple easy to understand things. Are you games simple and easy to understand? if so probably not a guiness world record.

Twin Galaxies -- hello fellow specialized nerds, look at this amazing score that only amazing gamers are capable of truly appreciating.

rather than trying to get guiness to care about specialized skill intensive feats, maybe the better focus is to try get tg to the point where its more respected and known.
    Never thought about it that way.

They do tend to focus on the "strange and unusual", and for better or worse, what we do playing games is relatively "normal", in 2019 society, even exceptional accomplishments.

Not jumping off my wishy-washy bandwagon-they DID tick me off for not making me famous(lol), but I get your point, definitely something to ponder, smart observation.
    Lack of outgoing PM's lately=Seasonal Affective Disorder, lasts a couple weeks.
    Winter sucks.
  6. 10-03-2019, 02:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    In the 2020 edition, Twin Galaxies is not in the index, yet it is mentioned on page 17 with the Golden Oldies.

1. Perhaps people don't care anymore about TG, the gamers who play games, and their high scores? What say you?

RTM REPLY - Jace is correct that Guinness is free to make its own business decisions. Consider the following points...

Point (1) - that there is no longer money in including video game and pinball scores, in their opinion.

Since the early 1980's nearly 40 years have passed...that's two (2) generations using the old formulae of one generation equals 18 years. Times change.

Even networks and syndicated stations on television have stopped routinely showing the former tried-and-true classic series "The Honeymooners" and "I Love Lucy" at odd hours of the day or night. What was once a guaranteed viewership (thus great for commercial income) quite simply is no longer viable in that respect. Maybe on "oldies" stations, sure, but nowhere else.

The same could be said of classic arcade video game scores, the majority of which are on titles from approx 1987 and prior, nearly two generations ago right there.

Point 2 - fallout from the "Billy Dispute"

It is possible that as a business they no longer want to deal with video game scores, equating what happened with Billy's scores with potentially all the rest. A decision could have been made where they discussed no longer touching video game scores with a proverbial 10-foot pole.

You can't blame them for making such a decision. They could very well regard the whole video game industry now as potentially radioactive in terms of integrity, and that decision could very well affect the entire speed run and PvP industries as well. Time will tell whether their decision is strictly limited to Twin Galaxies or not. And on that note...

Point 3 - the "Trust" factor

Guinness could have taken a second "look" at Twin Galaxies the organization and came to the conclusion that they could no longer place implicit trust in its recommendations or findings. Whatever relationship that was repaired when Jace took hold of the reigns may have been fractured beyond repair if Guinness took this extreme stance on the "Billy dispute" matter.

Or...this first year post-dispute is too volatile for Guinness to include gaming scores again. The wounds are still fresh and public opinion is still running on the hot-side. So maybe this first edition after the dispute conclusion is just a temporary "Time Out" on their part, one taken without announcement or fanfare, just a simple decision that was enacted for the time being and which will be re-evaluated in time for the next edition's preparation.

As for abandoning Twin Galaxies because of a lack of Guinness association, that is a gamer's prerogative of course, but Guinness is not why we strive for records at the core, we do it for ourselves first and foremost.

If the "Billy dispute" includes as part of its Fallout the obliteration of the Guinness relationship, that is a sad outcome indeed, effectively all due to one (1) gamer's ego-driven pursuit for so-called "Redemption" in full light of a proven cheating scandal.
  7. 10-03-2019, 07:29 PM
    Damn someone must love to hear themselves talk because no one else wants to read that garbage.
    Thanks Marcade thanked this post
    Likes Marcade, Snowflake liked this post
  8. 10-03-2019, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Jace is correct that Guinness is free to make its own business decisions. Consider the following points...

Point (1) - that there is no longer money in including video game and pinball scores, in their opinion.

Since the early 1980's nearly 40 years have passed...that's two (2) generations using the old formulae of one generation equals 18 years. Times change.

Even networks and syndicated stations on television have stopped routinely showing the former tried-and-true classic series "The Honeymooners" and "I Love Lucy" at odd hours of the day or night. What was once a guaranteed viewership (thus great for commercial income) quite simply is no longer viable in that respect. Maybe on "oldies" stations, sure, but nowhere else.

The same could be said of classic arcade video game scores, the majority of which are on titles from approx 1987 and prior, nearly two generations ago right there.

It is possible that as a business they no longer want to deal with video game scores, equating what happened with Billy's scores with potentially all the rest. A decision could have been made where they discussed no longer touching video game scores with a proverbial 10-foot pole.

You can't blame them for making such a decision. They could very well regard the whole video game industry now as potentially radioactive in terms of integrity, and that decision could very well affect the entire speed run and PvP industries as well. Time will tell whether their decision is strictly limited to Twin Galaxies or not. And on that note...

Guinness could have taken a second "look" at Twin Galaxies the organization and came to the conclusion that they could no longer place implicit trust in its recommendations or findings. Whatever relationship that was repaired when Jace took hold of the reigns may have been fractured beyond repair if Guinness took this extreme stance on the "Billy dispute" matter.

Or...this first year post-dispute is too volatile for Guinness to include gaming scores again. The wounds are still fresh and public opinion is still running on the hot-side. So maybe this first edition after the dispute conclusion is just a temporary "Time Out" on their part, one taken without announcement or fanfare, just a simple decision that was enacted for the time being and which will be re-evaluated in time for the next edition's preparation.

As for abandoning Twin Galaxies because of a lack of Guinness association, that is a gamer's prerogative of course, but Guinness is not why we strive for records at the core, we do it for ourselves first and foremost.

If the "Billy dispute" includes as part of its Fallout the obliteration of the Guinness relationship, that is a sad outcome indeed, effectively all due to one (1) gamer's ego-driven pursuit for so-called "Redemption" in full light of a proven cheating scandal.

Wrong assumptions as usual. Do you even own or have you read the book?

If you followed their trend, the past 4-5 editions prior, you would know that Guinness mainly focuses on eSports.
    They also disclosed in this years issue, they have an alliance with speedrun.com, as their scores/times are heavily populated throughout.

As for your weird and CREEPY obsession with " anything" Billy Mitchell, WRONG again. The dispute came about only 2 years ago, TG high score pages were eliminated 4-5 years ago.

In this years, 2020 edition: Old school games section... I see Don Hayes Dig-Dug score represented. Even Jeremy Youngs' Donkey Kong 1-1 high score is there too. (All verified by TG) You created that DK 1-1 high score track, so we have you to thanks, right? Or did you (yet again) assume you did?
    Thanks Desidious thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  9. 10-03-2019, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

alot of time theorizing, but little time researching. as always wanting others to read your million paragraph long comments when you cant be bothered to read their much shorter ones. Had you actually spend a few moments you would've seen speedrun is still invovled, so the long winded post about guiness possibly not wanting anything to do with video games just tells me you are yet again having more fun talking than listening. speculation over research. speculations is fine AFTER you did at least a little leg work and got some facts to speculate with. No wonder you wiped out so many valid scores back in your day and why you fought so hard to prevent the atari pal/ntsc split, still havent learned your lesson. still making the same mistakes of guesses that take an hour to write over reading others comments that takes minutes

you should be happy though. maybe TG took you advice to end the guiness relationship. You know, when you demanded walter end the relationship with guiness unless they join you vendetta against roy. oh wait, you were banned for that and advice not taken, never mind.
    Thanks Marcade thanked this post
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  10. 10-03-2019, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    Wrong assumptions as usual. Do you even own or have you read the book?

If you followed their trend, the past 4-5 editions prior, you would know that Guinness mainly focuses on eSports.
    They also disclosed in this years issue, they have an alliance with speedrun.com, as their scores/times are heavily populated throughout.

As for your weird and CREEPY obsession with " anything" Billy Mitchell, WRONG again. The dispute came about only 2 years ago, TG high score pages were eliminated 4-5 years ago.

In this years, 2020 edition: Old school games section... I see Don Hayes Dig-Dug score represented. Even Jeremy Youngs' Donkey Kong 1-1 high score is there too. (All verified by TG) You created that DK 1-1 high score track, so we have you to thanks, right? Or did you (yet again) assume you did?

RTM REPLY - as usual "Marcade" has his head up his you-know-what and can't resist bashing my comments. That's his problem and there are solutions for that...they cost $200+ an hour, require you to lie down on a couch and tell the shrink your problems. I suggest you book an appointment, at least a few. MY "creep obsessions with Mitchell ?? You're at the top of the list of creepy when it comes to your own reactions to my posts, "Marcade".

My comments...in case you did not read carefully, specifically address someone's post "1. Perhaps people don't care anymore about TG, the gamers who play games, and their high scores? What say you?"

Although I have and do read Guinness I am not required to in order to post to the specific gamer comment that I did.

Who the heck appointed you the person who determines who can and cannot post to the TG forum and under what circumstances ? A certain other gamer seemed to self-appoint themselves to that same elevated status not long ago so at least you are in similar company.

As for the (1-1) track the concept itself was unofficially created decades ago from anecdotal discussions with Billy and Chris who recounted the best that they had accomplished at the beginnings of their game. Adding that challenge to the TG database was simply creating a benchmark for others to follow, and I can't remember at this point which referee added it to the TG database and when.

If you don't like my posts, I suggest you petition Jace Hall to do something about it.
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us