Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

1. 07-23-2020, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    Guinness World Records Should Stay Out of Gaming (Karl Jobst)

Skip to 10:02 if you want the comments specifically about Billy Mitchell.
    wow! Holy Smoke!
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Likes datagod, ersatz_cats liked this post
  2. 07-23-2020, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    wow! Holy Smoke!
    Was going to post a link to that same video. It so completely exposes Guinness for what it has become, and the absolute INSULT to professional gamers it made by reinstating Billy's disqualified records.
    Thanks maximumsteve thanked this post
  3. 07-23-2020, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    This is all you need to know...The FACTS!!!

Fact of the matter is, BM thinks he's a professional speaker since he does so much public speaking but he really isn't. Too many filler words, little enthusiasm, and repetitive word choice.
    Thanks Ragequit thanked this post
    Likes grinder2112, ersatz_cats liked this post
  4. 07-24-2020, 02:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    Was going to post a link to that same video. It so completely exposes Guinness for what it has become, and the absolute INSULT to professional gamers it made by reinstating Billy's disqualified records.

John Oliver clip referenced by Jobst:

Jump cut to 12:18
    Last edited by grinder2112; 07-24-2020 at 03:09 AM.
    Likes FBX, Ragequit, ersatz_cats liked this post
  5. 07-24-2020, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post

Jump cut to 12:18
    Well now it all makes sense. Guinness is a total farce just in it for the money. It sounds very easily like Billy could have just paid them 15 grand to put the bogus scores back in. After all, it's income for the company.
    Likes grinder2112, ersatz_cats liked this post
  6. 07-28-2020, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benasselstine View Post
    There seem to be a lot of mistakes in pre-TGSAP scores. I drilled down aimlessly after seeing the reference to Joystik Magazine and found this date discrepancy in Stargate. I recognized Ben Gold's name because I recently rewatched Chasing Ghosts so I decided to check this one score.

The date in the magazine is April 24, 1982, and the date on the scoreboard is September 28, 1982. Not a big deal or anything but it raises more questions about the quality of the old score submissions. In this case it could be a mistake in the database, or in the info Walter sent over to Joystik, or a data entry error by the staff at Joystik, and who can really say after so much time has passed. We depend on the scoreboard to have valid data, but a full auditing against TG data published elsewhere will make it more difficult to have confidence.

My apologies if this was already known and doesn't advance the discussion at all! I just face-palmed when I checked a single score and happened to find an error.
    Attachment 113370
    So the Joystick magazine was mine. Walter spent a day at my house copying everything down by hand. This is how he re-built the TG scoreboard in the late 90's. He copied every score from every source he could find. The scoreboard did not exist. He was re-creating it. If it was in print in a published magazine, it went into his notes.

I'd consider he crossed up dates while writing them all down.
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

Likes Ragequit, ersatz_cats liked this post
  7. 07-28-2020, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
    Fact of the matter is, BM thinks he's a professional speaker since he does so much public speaking but he really isn't. Too many filler words, little enthusiasm, and repetitive word choice.
    The fact of the matter is that you are not a mind reader. Claiming to know what somebody is thinking is a form of Loserthink(tm). Scott Adams speaks about it in his book Loserthink: How Untrained Brains are Ruining America. Great book.

Name:  2020-07-28 14_02_15-Loserthink_ How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America by Scott Adams – .jpg
Views: 324
Size:  201.2 KB
    Your friend, datagod

~~Raspberry Pi Enthusiast~~
    Likes sprinter461 liked this post
  8. 07-28-2020, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinter461 View Post
    So the Joystick magazine was mine. Walter spent a day at my house copying everything down by hand. This is how he re-built the TG scoreboard in the late 90's. He copied every score from every source he could find. The scoreboard did not exist. He was re-creating it. If it was in print in a published magazine, it went into his notes.

I'd consider he crossed up dates while writing them all down.
    Holy s***. It's Tim Mcvey.Name:  1qnjx3.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  45.3 KB
  9. 07-28-2020, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
    The fact of the matter is... if I had a quarter for every time he's said that the past few decades... man I'd have bags of quarters to head to the arcade!!! ;)
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

Thanks Streetwize thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  10. 07-29-2020, 11:50 PM
    I would say "You're not going to believe this," but you totally will.

Billy Mitchell is now issuing legal threats against Karl Jobst over his latest video. He even hired an Australian legal firm to issue the threats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/i0hxx8/billy_mitchell_is_now_issuing_legal_threats/
    Thanks grinder2112, lexmark, maximumsteve thanked this post
    Likes Barra, maximumsteve liked this post
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
Join us