Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

1. 06-28-2020, 03:38 AM
    It's late, and I'm still trying to dig through all this stuff, but something just has to be posted. Here's a few things I snagged out of the 41-page Billy declaration. This is NOT a comprehensive list of everything relevant in that declaration. Just some easy and fun target practice. Each of the blockquote items comes from Billy's declaration.

My most successful start-up occurred in my hot sauce company called “Rickey’s Hot Sauce.” I started the company in 1980, building it into a successful small business in the State of Florida. I continued to grow the company from 1980 to the present day.

Not gonna waste much time on this, but I'm pretty sure there's a ton of documentation back in the day where it's referred to as his "father's" restaurant. Also, Billy was born in 1965. You do the math.

Twin Galaxies verified my Pac-man record through on-site referee adjudication via the Funspot Arcade staff.

Were there any TG staff referees on site for his impromptu, unannounced, mad dash in the night attempt at nabbing the first perfect Pac-Man? Did a ref, like stand and watch him play or anything?

On February 14, 2018, Jason Hall officially engaged Mr. Chris Gleed as his “third-party” investigator, who possessed no qualifications beyond that of a casual videogame
    hobbyist.

Chris Gleed created his own direct feed setup (an ACTUAL direct feed setup) before it was cool. Pretty sure he was qualified.

Also, at the Donkey Kong World Championships, the allegations against me became materially impossible. Hall, Young, and the Dispute Thread alleged that I utilized “MAMEemulation in my records. However, the specific version of MAME was not created until AFTER I achieved my 1,047,200 record. I believed this discovery absolved me of the allegations, and proved that the lost chain-of-custody videotapes were altered. However, Jason Hall assisted the Dispute Thread in fabricating explanations in an effort to circumvent this fact; nevertheless, these explanations failed to refute the discovery.

They're really still repeating this tripe? When the discrepancy was pointed out, people figured out pretty quickly a simple refresh rate change syncs older MAME up exactly with the screens on Billy's tapes, which regardless never came anywhere close to what arcade produces.

Hall then inserted the tape, and the videotape clearly displayed my Pac-Man world record game. Unlike the Donkey Kong videotape, the Pac-Man videotape shows my physical appearance, and my audio is present in the footage. At the 15 minute mark, Mr. Glen Updike stated, “Hey, look there is [Billy’s] reflection on the screen,” and at the 17 minute mark, Mr. Mat McGill noted, “You can hear Billy playing,” meaning that my voice was clearly audible on the videotape. Furthermore, several other participants generally asserted that the videotape clearly belonged to me. Despite his entire audience pointing out these facts, Hall ignored them, electing to answer different questions. After roughly 15 minutes, Hall quietly removed the Pac-Man videotape, and never provided public access to it thereafter.

Billy goes on and on in his declaration about Jace being unwilling to praise Billy for his Pac-Man tape. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, other than perhaps his own insecurity.

However, within a few days, Mr. Neil Hernandez debunked this claim, producing the correct color with the converter board.

Hmmmm.... pretty sure this came up in the EGM article last year. Let's see...

https://egmnow.com/the-split-screen-man/

Name:  Billy declaration - Color issue.png
Views: 181
Size:  45.4 KB

Sure, they produced color, as long as someone stood there and pressed on the converter board the entire time. I wonder if that counts as a modification of the set-up Rob Childs claimed he used and then later said he never knew anything about?

Guinness World Records announced the full reinstatement of my records on June 18, 2020. Guinness World Records reinstated my records based upon the same evidence which Twin Galaxies ignored in its original investigation and the retraction demand. (See Exhibit 18).

Another confirmation that Guinness didn't rule on any special secret evidence, which we've already gone through. Also Twin Galaxies didn't "ignore" the retraction demand or the attached evidence. They posted it to the dispute thread. We all reviewed it. It didn't impress. It failed to address the core dispute assertions. People were unconvinced.

As a result, I issued Twin Galaxies a second retraction demand on June 18, 2018.

Pretty sure he meant 2020, but whatever. Years are hard.

Shortly after Guinness World Records reinstated of my records, Ars Technica wrote an article titled, “Guinness Reinstates Billy Mitchell’s Pac-Man, Donkey Kong Records.” In the article, Jason Hall responded to a request for comment, where he sent a meme of Kermit the Frog sipping tea as an adolescent insult, showing how little he cares about the truth and how little he cares about the impact Twin Galaxies’ statements have had on me.

Really? This is childish. And no, I don't mean Jace using a figurative way of saying "None of my business" while under a lawsuit. I mean what Billy wrote is a childish characterization coming from a grown man.

employing a clearly biased third party investigator;

Billy's talking about Chris Gleed here. Cute use of the word "employing", as I don't believe Gleed was ever paid for his assistance to the dispute. Gleed offered to help. Not sure why it's a problem to have an additional investigator, even if they did start out thinking "Yeah, this dude's probably guilty." Maybe, instead of complaining about Chris Gleed's secret vendetta against you, you could just show how genuine arcade renders screens like MAME.

Hall hid the Pac-Man videotape for two reasons: 1) The videotape would have provided me undisputed evidence to publicly refute the Twin Galaxies allegations; and 2) I would have utilized the videotape as evidence for Guinness World Records to justify a reinstatement of my Pac-Man record. Hall clearly wanted to avoid any public relations nightmares for Twin Galaxies, and as a result, he elected to bury the videotape from the public eye.

This is, like mental illness territory. Nobody cares about your Pac-Man score, dude. The tape would have refuted absolutely nothing to do with the DK dispute. There would have been no embarrassment by Guinness reinstating just the Pac-Man thing, if they had chosen to, no more than it embarrasses TG for Donkey Kong Forum to recognize your old DK score of 933k. TG was within their rights to ban you from competition across the board.

On or about March 12, 2018, Hall called Walter Day to ask, “How will you feel when I announce that Billy cheated?”

Ooooh, spicy! But this is coming from Walter Day, so who knows if it's true.

In its investigation, Twin Galaxies selected a long-time member of the accusatory group, Jeremy Young’s Donkey Kong Forum, to shepherd the investigation as a “third-party” investigator.

This is so patently, ridiculously, absurdly false it is beyond belief. Jeremy opened the dispute in August 2017 on the basis of the fake board swap video, and it gained no traction until the MAME evidence in February. TG never "selected" him. Billy knows this. It's a bald-faced lie.

In Gleed’s entire period as the “third-party investigator,” he never contacted me for evidentiary inquiry or provided me an opportunity to defend myself.

Yeah, I don't want to talk to you either, you fucking cheater. Nor do I enjoy sitting and listening to a conman in a suit tell me a bunch of lies. Now, if I was an adjudicating official, sure, I would sit and hear you out, no matter how skeptical I was, because I'm not derelict in my duty. You'd have to set forth some compelling evidence in the face of what we were presented in the dispute, but I'd certainly hear you out, if that was my role. Jace heard you out. But since I'm not a score adjudicator, and since I'm not the one making the final call, and since you have a public forum to make your case or add evidence yourself, I'll spare myself the ocular damage of containing my eyerolls as you try to convince me Dwayne Richard flew in on a magic carpet to draw little MAME signatures all over your tapes. You put evidence before the public, and I'll consider it - conversations with you not required.

Gleed’s position as a “third-party” investigator represents a single-piece of the onesided, pre-ordained investigation from Twin Galaxies. Hall engaged Gleed, who possessed no qualification beyond that of a casual hobbyist, in order to present legitimacy to his investigation. However, Gleed simply acted a pawn to facilitate the Twin Galaxies sham investigation.

This stuff is wild. He just keeps going on about Chris Gleed.

During the Twin Galaxies investigation, yet another observer, Mr. David Race, took it upon himself to research the allegations against me in an effort to disprove them.

Billy never gets around to adding that David Race now thinks Billy lied.

Lastly, the Twin Galaxies Special Motion to Strike intentionally misrepresents the Twin Galaxies “voting system” to support its allegations. The motion claims that 211 users “voted to adjudicate the score dispute (198 agreeing with the dispute, and 13 disagreeing).” Twin Galaxies clearly fabricates this narrative to falsely portray that its decision possessed legitimacy. However, Jason Hall himself previously stated that the voting system possesses no influence on the adjudication of the score dispute, but “only guarantees that [Twin Galaxies] administration MUST review the claim.”

This is like some weird framing. This isn't some surprise bomb revelation. This isn't a big "gotcha" moment. We all know how the dispute process works. It's not a secret. And yes, it is somewhat relevant that the vast majority of users voted to approve the dispute, even if they aren't the deciding factor. Although, that's not nearly as relevant as the fact that your tapes, including the one you presented yourself in 2010, could not have been produced by authentic arcade hardware.

To the contrary, as shown in thorough documentation, I incurred $951,236 in special damages.

*puts pinky on lip* ONE MEELLEEON DOLLARS

Other events forced me to settle for less money, such as Southern Fried Gaming Expo.

Oh, you poor thing. An event which you eagerly attended for the opportunity to do your little presentation where you waved a stack of papers around, paid you less than they usually do.

As a result of the Twin Galaxies statements, company revenue dropped to $410,267 in 2018. A true and correct copy of a summary of Rickey’s Hot Sauces Sales from 2018 is attached as Exhibit 56. Monetary damages continued in 2019, resulting in $364,435 more in special damages. A true and correct copy of a summary of Rickey’s Hot Sauces Sales from 2019 is attached as Exhibit 57. The documentation proves $750,236 in special damages to my company. I calculated these numbers by simply subtracting the 2017 revenue from the 2018 and 2019 revenues, respectively.

Gosh, I wonder if that had anything to do with the state of Billy's website. This is what Rickey's home page looked like on March 2, 2018, courtesy of Wayback Machine:

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2018-03-02.png
Views: 185
Size:  150.3 KB

Here's what the active page looked like when I went there on April 7, 2018:

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2018-04-07.png
Views: 186
Size:  22.6 KB

Woah! That doesn't look good. Surely that got corrected soon, right?

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2018-05-14.png
Views: 174
Size:  818.8 KB

Okay.... website maintenance? That was my screencapture from May 14, 2018. Surely that would be fixed by the end of the year.

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2019-02-02.png
Views: 176
Size:  815.3 KB

Nope. February 2, Groundhog Day, 2019, website still down.

The months go by. We get that silly evidence packet of Billy's in September. Say, I wonder if the site's back up yet:

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2019-09-19.png
Views: 176
Size:  815.6 KB

Nope. That was September 19, 2019. Well, SURELY the site is back up by now, right?

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2020-06-28 about.png
Views: 185
Size:  123.3 KB

Oh, good. It's finally back up. Although.... looking more closely, when I put "800hotsauce" in Google, it actually took me to the "About" page. What happens if I click on that little link on the left side that says "Home"?

Name:  Billy declaration - Rickey's half size 2020-06-28 home.png
Views: 175
Size:  815.3 KB

Seriously. That's what you see right now, still, to this day, when you click on this link:

http://www.800hotsauce.com/

Check it out for yourself here on Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180801...0hotsauce.com/

The site worked fine, until about halfway through the 2018 dispute - so mid-March. His website's been a holding page for over two years. And now he's suing and trying to claim it was all Jace's fault his business lost money.

Say.... You don't... suppose he... deliberately... sabotaged... his own...... NOOO!! Billy's psycho, but nobody's THAT screwed up in the head. Perish the thought.

In total, combining the damages incurred to my videogame career and hot sauce company, I suffered $951,236 in special damages. The damages occurred in a booming economy and there is no argument that Twin Galaxies bears the responsibility for these special damages.

I.... I'm not sure that means what you intended?

One may ask, “Why would Twin Galaxies do it?” The answer is simple. It all occurred in an effort to generate internet “clicks,” attention, and revenue for Twin Galaxies. Twin Galaxies received only 75,000 site visits in August 2017. From August to January, it created a public spectacle out of the Todd Rogers investigation, which raised its monthly site visits to roughly 1,000,000. Coincidentally, it initiated an investigation against me just days after, which rose its average site visits to 2,500,000 in April 2018. Attached as Exhibit 58 is a true and correct copy of a graph showing the Twin Galaxies Website Traffic from August 2017 to April 2018.

This was brought up when the dispute was reopened September 2019, and it was quickly pointed out that the TG dispute thread did not have ads at the time, and thus did not generate revenue. Notice how he tries to suggest the same thing now, but now he dances around where this revenue is coming from. Also, TG didn't "initiate" the DK dispute. It actually was a coincidence. Narcissism, it's a hell of a drug.
    Thanks grinder2112, sprinter461 thanked this post
    Likes Tompa, Marcade, Barra, grinder2112, lexmark and 4 others liked this post
  2. 06-28-2020, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ersatz_cats View Post
    It's late, and I'm still trying to dig through all this stuff, but something just has to be posted. Here's a few things I snagged out of the 41-page Billy declaration. This is NOT a comprehensive list of everything relevant in that declaration. Just some easy and fun target practice. Each of the blockquote items comes from Billy's declaration.

Twin Galaxies verified my Pac-man record through on-site referee adjudication via the Funspot Arcade staff.

Were there any TG staff referees on site for his impromptu, unannounced, mad dash in the night attempt at nabbing the first perfect Pac-Man? Did a ref, like stand and watch him play or anything?
    I share these links for the curious as I recognize that the Pac-Man score is not necessarily germane to the DK discussion, but since it's referenced in the evidence shared by Mitchell:

It's my understanding that David Race has devoted a lot of time to delving into the history of arcade Pac-Man competition, so he might be able to shed light on other sources I haven't come across or considered.

Mitchell achieved the perfect game on 3 July 1999 at 4:45pm EST.

Walter Day issued a press release dated 4th of July 1999 about Mitchell's score:

https://web.archive.org/web/19991009...ld_Record.html

In the release, Funspot supplied the camcorder/tapes used for the recording, and while Funspot staff were undoubtedly present and observed at least portions of Mitchell's game and presumably the split screen - perfect score moment (Mitchell started his attempts on July 2 I believe, and I recall spent the entire day at Funspot playing Pac-Man), I haven't read any contemporaneous reports where Funspot staff were identified as surrogate TG referees.

TG's own metadata on the achievement circa 2006 cites the date of achievement and verification as 3 July 1999 and the official verification method as video.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061122...c=22&sid=32577
    Last edited by The Evener; 06-28-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    Thanks ersatz_cats thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  3. 06-28-2020, 07:04 AM
    Walter Day has provided a clarification around about the circumstances of the 1,047,200 score (see footnote 1 - "Letter to Guinness"). Recall that Mitchell's September 2019 Evidence Packages cites in several places that it was never an official submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMb...oQiuAdgcJ/view

It's still not clear to me whether Mitchell still stands behind his earlier Evidence Package statements (which would effectively require him to surrender claim to Guinness' first verified million point score on DK), or where Walter stands vis-a-vis the ceremony in Hollywood FL in March 2006 crowning Mitchell the new DK champion in view of his 1,047,200 score.

The update can be found on page 16 of the pdf (page 5 of Day's statement, pg 14 of the overall package) here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...J2np9Bm1DHRYFJ

For comparison, the original statement from Day ("Letter to Guinness") shared in September 2019 can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDV...PLaMRwFd5/view

"Regarding the statement that Billy Mitchell didn't submit his tape for verification to Twin Galaxies. At the time that Billy Mitchell's tape of his 1,047,200 point score on Donkey Kong was taken down by Robert Mruczek, Billy was fine with the score not being recognized by Twin Galaxies. As the months wore on, I witnessed Billy vacillate between "approving" and "disapproving" the score's removal. His vacillations were greatly caused by the huge psychological pressure that the King of Kong movie were putting on him, me, and others. The score remained unrecognized for about 240 days while Steve Wiebe continued to enjoy recognition on the scoreboard. I recall numerous times that Billy actually would advise us not to recognize the score, while there were different times that Billy did inquire about the score being reinstated. However, never once, as well as I can remember, did he take action to get it reinstated. Billy Mitchell categorically denies Robert Mruczek's assertion that Billy sent him the videotapes via mail. I believe that Billy's inference that he never submitted the tape for verification has truth, because I believe his assertion that he never mailed Mruczek the videotape. I hope this explains the genesis of this."
    Last edited by The Evener; 06-28-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    Thanks ersatz_cats thanked this post
  4. 06-28-2020, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    i'm working through it, i do have some questions but i'm not asking yet since perhaps they'll be answered later with in the papers. I have noticed more names being named. If those people read it i can definitley see them voicing disapproval.
    Where are the "200+-"names of people that get sued? I read through the 156page doc
    and do not see anywhere a list of people named defamation?
  5. 06-28-2020, 02:45 PM
    Jace, thank you for posting the publicly available filings, including all documents, details and evidence in the dispute thread for community review. The costs for obtaining these public documents for an individual (a fee I understand that is charged by the court to recoup the cost of providing them) quickly adds up, so I appreciate the opportunity to review them.

You indicated that these are all the public filings, so I wanted to confirm that the contents of the original Mitchell Evidence Package, including the series of signed statements offered therein, did not form an official court submission/disclosure from Mitchell's lawyers? I see a series of updated declarations from Mitchell's lawyers in the filings you shared, but at least a few are missing from the original Evidence Package, such as the statements from Robert Childs as another TG member pointed out to me.
    Thanks francoisadt thanked this post
  6. 06-29-2020, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    "Regarding the statement that Billy Mitchell didn't submit his tape for verification to Twin Galaxies. At the time that Billy Mitchell's tape of his 1,047,200 point score on Donkey Kong was taken down by Robert Mruczek, Billy was fine with the score not being recognized by Twin Galaxies. As the months wore on, I witnessed Billy vacillate between "approving" and "disapproving" the score's removal. His vacillations were greatly caused by the huge psychological pressure that the King of Kong movie were putting on him, me, and others. The score remained unrecognized for about 240 days while Steve Wiebe continued to enjoy recognition on the scoreboard. I recall numerous times that Billy actually would advise us not to recognize the score, while there were different times that Billy did inquire about the score being reinstated. However, never once, as well as I can remember, did he take action to get it reinstated. Billy Mitchell categorically denies Robert Mruczek's assertion that Billy sent him the videotapes via mail. I believe that Billy's inference that he never submitted the tape for verification has truth, because I believe his assertion that he never mailed Mruczek the videotape. I hope this explains the genesis of this."

I see what you mean about that added footnote. That wasn't there with the threat packet last year. Man, they just want to have it both ways, don't they? "He didn't submit it, but he did, but he really didn't, but he still kiiiinda did, except not."

One wonders, if Billy wanted that score to count so badly, why didn't he just take a weekend, go somewhere with a lot of actual gaming witnesses and actual cameras like E3 or PAX, and just smash out a score on his first or second try? Like he always said, his real PB was much higher. And the insane pace charts on those totally-real tapes proves he could do it. /s

Also, if Billy never sent Mruczek the tape, WHERE THE HELL DID HE GET IT FROM!?!?!?!? Did he conjure it out of thin freakin' air!? (Oh, that's right. Dwayne and his time machine can do anything.)
    Likes The Evener, sprinter461 liked this post
  7. 06-29-2020, 01:10 AM
    Also, you could argue that Walter Day misrepresents the nature of "Exhibit A" by suggesting that the letter, as it is seen in "Exhibit A", is a representative copy of the same document and same evidence/testimony that was presented to Jace, who he accuses of disregarding it. Like, what if that footnote was the missing piece that would have totally changed Jace's mind? Day didn't include that, even though he's now suggesting he did.

Name:  Walter letter - Exhibit A.png
Views: 114
Size:  48.0 KB
    Likes The Evener liked this post
  8. 06-29-2020, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    Jace, thank you for posting the publicly available filings, including all documents, details and evidence in the dispute thread for community review. The costs for obtaining these public documents for an individual (a fee I understand that is charged by the court to recoup the cost of providing them) quickly adds up, so I appreciate the opportunity to review them.

You indicated that these are all the public filings, so I wanted to confirm that the contents of the original Mitchell Evidence Package, including the series of signed statements offered therein, did not form an official court submission/disclosure from Mitchell's lawyers? I see a series of updated declarations from Mitchell's lawyers in the filings you shared, but at least a few are missing from the original Evidence Package, such as the statements from Robert Childs as another TG member pointed out to me.
    @Jace @Twingalaxies thank you making the documents public so that we can "See" and have a better "understanding" what TG perspective is on each aspect. Thanks for making and putting aside tremendous time do answer each claimed aspect and counter argument. Without choosing anyone's side here. It is now more clear what the viewpoints are.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
    Likes ersatz_cats, grinder2112, The Evener liked this post
  9. 06-29-2020, 01:38 AM
    Like Johnny Cash, I'm takin' it one piece at a time. There's a lot of little things I want to check on later in Todd Rogers' statement (signed October 20, 2019, so after the legal threat), but for now, a couple items stood out:

Name:  Todd statement - Locked PCB.png
Views: 113
Size:  12.9 KB

That's what they call "hearsay", my dude. You really think you're going to fool a judge with that?

Name:  Todd statement - TG administration.png
Views: 111
Size:  30.3 KB

That's a pretty brazen thing to sign under penalty of perjury. You all just insist on blaming Jace for everything! Even if you Billy buds didn't just take the bag of tapes home yourselves, even if they were left in the custody of unidentified TG people as you all claim, how could their disappearance be the fault of a TG administration that didn't begin for another four years? (Wait wait, I know.... Dwayne.)
  10. 06-29-2020, 02:04 AM
    This is from Kimberly "Morningdove" Mahoney's statement:

Name:  Morningdove statement - Original hardware.png
Views: 166
Size:  131.1 KB

Wait, I thought the story was that the machine was padlocked? How exactly were you able to confirm the machine was running on original, unmodified hardware? Did you have the key? Are you just guessing?
    Likes grinder2112, The Evener, Von Krieger liked this post
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Join us