Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

1. 11-27-2020, 08:12 PM
    yoiu know i never thought about it before, but now that i do the choice of the word "perfect" is intereting. most maxout we just call maxouts. all maxouts can be called perfect. calling the pacman maxout alone perfect just shows how deep the old marketing and word play to illicit certain feelings and make the accomplish sound more grandiose went.

I mean yes, it is perfect --- in that the player made no mistakes which is what perfection is, but its also a very strange word choice considering all the other perfect games out there. i dont hear alot of talk about all the atari maxouts (perfects). a perfect canyon bomber arcade. a perfect stun cycle.

maybe we should refer to the pacman maxout the same we refer to maxouts on other games.
    Lode Runner Champion
  2. 11-27-2020, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    yoiu know i never thought about it before, but now that i do the choice of the word "perfect" is intereting. most maxout we just call maxouts. all maxouts can be called perfect. calling the pacman maxout alone perfect just shows how deep the old marketing and word play to illicit certain feelings and make the accomplish sound more grandiose went.

I mean yes, it is perfect --- in that the player made no mistakes which is what perfection is, but its also a very strange word choice considering all the other perfect games out there. i dont hear alot of talk about all the atari maxouts (perfects). a perfect canyon bomber arcade. a perfect stun cycle.

maybe we should refer to the pacman maxout the same we refer to maxouts on other games.
    The original creators had first decided to call it "Puck-Man", which was quickly changed due to vandalism concerns. Imagine being the "Perfect Puck-Man" or maxing out "Puck-Man". Change the P to an F and it gets even more hilarious.
  3. 11-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Exactly! Right after he finished I told my wife Billy just got another perfect on Pac-man, she asked what that was I said a maxout, just like my Atari 2600 Sky Diver maxout score I got a few months ago. All it means is you JOIN a list of people tied for 1st place with a maxout score on a game, in that game its 99 pts landing every jump for max points until the game ends. Pac-man is no different, there are many people who are tied with a maxout score aka perfect score.

As for this 20th anniversary cab having a different ROM image (apparently) with 1 extra dot and key at the end; its just a platform variation of the original game and a unique score track as they all are. Its like a port of Pac-man with obviously different rules for possible maxout. From RTM's post earlier it seems someone has already got a maxout on the 20th anniversary cab, so yet again here's another tied for 1st place maxout list starting to build for this version of Pac-man; still impressive to pull off and I think that cab has a microswitch stick instead of Leaf, as I played this cab before and it was awful compared to the original in my opinion.
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  4. 11-27-2020, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 1.

Apparently, it is in the billions ... just goes to show how ignorant I am regarding arcade machines of any type. This is what happens when I get momentarily let out of my cage ;-)
    Likes GregDeg liked this post
  5. 11-27-2020, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    The original creators had first decided to call it "Puck-Man", which was quickly changed due to vandalism concerns. Imagine being the "Perfect Puck-Man" or maxing out "Puck-Man". Change the P to an F and it gets even more hilarious.
    yes puckman is the japanese game, i guess why not, be the first to do it on a japanese cab (assuming it hasnt already, at least no organization i know of bothers to distinguish and track it explicilty) and let the jokes fly freely
    Lode Runner Champion
  6. 11-27-2020, 08:39 PM
    I've always found getting a "perfect" score on an imperfect game to be ironic. All thanks to a failure of imagination on the part of the original video game programmers, resulting in so-called kill screens. For me, it perfectly illustrates that perfection is little more than an illusion, a bit like chasing ghosts.

However, if the programmers had got it right, it would have deprived the world of gems like this.

I watched all 10 hours of this XD
  7. 11-27-2020, 08:44 PM
    I've always found getting a "perfect" score on an imperfect game to be ironic. All thanks to a failure of imagination on the part of the original video game programmers, resulting in so-called kill screens. For me, it perfectly illustrates that perfection is little more than an illusion, a bit like chasing ghosts.

However, if the programmers had got it right, it would have deprived the world of gems like this.

RTM REPLY - you had to be there to fully appreciate Kuh running around like the town crier !! Plus it lead to this other fan-made video which is still on YT though others have since been taken down

Likes Cliff Clavin, Rev John liked this post
  8. 11-27-2020, 08:47 PM
    And if you are really interested, buy the t-shirt !! Yes, there was a t-shirt made. Might still be available on Zazzle or some other site.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  65.8 KB
  9. 11-27-2020, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - you had to be there to fully appreciate Kuh running around like the town crier !!
    They say reality is stranger than fiction, yet somehow the KoK movie was both. It certainly had it's moments, that's for sure.

If anyone is interested, I stumbled across this documentary about the Twin Galaxies arcade on Youtube and thought it might provide some useful historical context. I've also downloaded it, just in case it suddenly vanishes like so many other videos.

Last edited by Raven; 11-28-2020 at 03:40 AM.
  10. 11-28-2020, 06:47 AM
    you know i never thought about it before, but now that i do the choice of the word "perfect" is interesting

RTM REPLY - the term "perfect Pacman" originated in early 1999 when Billy Mitchell, Chris Ayra and either Neil Chapman or Rick Fothergill, the three of them, met with Walter Day to hash out the details of TG switching its rules to make "Pacman" 5+1 settings ONLY if the result was a "perfect" score, otherwise 3+1 settings were to be used. These rules were subsequently, many years later, changed so that all submissions were to be 5+1.

But it was those three players...and Walter...who collectively came up with that term, but I am willing to bet that the proverbial fly on the wall would have heard the bigger push for the term of recognition as coming from one particular participant in that discussion. Small wonder that "someone", many years back, took out the URL for "PerfectPacman.com" and let it lapse more than a year later into the public domain.

And that "someone" was Billy...thank heaven for Archive.org !!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  72.5 KB

https://web.archive.org/web/20020802...ectpacman.com/
Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Join us