Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

1. 08-09-2020, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
    the community simply finds new truths that make him look worse. Maybe I'm a bit jaded with the current world issues, but this is starting to get beyond ridiculous.
    Starting to ???
    Likes Snowflake, thegamer1185, datagod, timhett liked this post
  2. 08-09-2020, 04:34 AM
    As these court cases pile up one might consider the possibility of Billy Mitchell eventually being declared a "vexatious litigant".

In my opinion it's not likely to happen in California as long as he can get a law firm to represent him. See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexati...ion#California
    At minimum he'd have to lose and then sue to the same party for essentially the same thing, but the thresholds are different state to state.

I should note that this is different than anti-SLAPP which is specifically designed to protect speech. Once someone is declared a vexatious litigant it can be used against them in any lawsuit in any state, which is a pretty dangerous thing for a business owner.

It seems unlikely at this point, but we are all watching the risk rise in slow motion.
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  3. 08-09-2020, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    Starting to ???
    Key word: BEYOND. Maybe my patience is a little higher than most.
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  4. 08-09-2020, 03:56 PM
    On page 37, Snowflake shared a link to a CAGDC rumour discussion called "Top Secret" posted by someone known as "The Mole"

http://classicarcadegaming.com/ts/index.htm#08032010

One thing that caught my eye was a 3 July 2004 post at the bottom of the page entitled "Perfect Pac-Man score done 5 years ago...or was it?

"So, what else is on the plate? Besides the rumored 1 million score on Donkey Kong that was supposedly done last year, Billy is said to be up to getting by the split-screen on Pac-Man, tho by using a twist on the game-play, say my sources from this year's Milwaukee, and San Jose, gaming shows. Let's just hope he doesn't wait 15 years before unveiling it this time!"

In 2007, Mark Alpiger made a post where he recalled a conversation with Mitchell around 1999/2000 where Mitchell described using MAME on cheat mode (infinite lives) to prove that advancing the maze was based on the player clearing 240 dots. By eating the 9 dots over and over, Mitchell allegedly made it past the split screen. I understand that since this post was revisited a few months back, Mark wasn't able to attest to the conversation he cited in 2007.

But in reading The Mole's July 2004 entry, I wanted to ask if anyone who attended the 2004 Milwaukee or San Jose shows can confirm what exactly Mitchell did? Did he demonstrate getting past the split screen in a manner similar to that posted by Mark?

And is anyone able to confirm the identity of "The Mole?" PMs work for me just fine if that's preferred. I was curious in learning more about the original version of the "Billy Mitchell's double WR's make him the new King of Kong" entry for 3 August 2010.

I'd be grateful if any CAGDC members could cross-post this entry there as well since I don't have an account.
    Last edited by The Evener; 08-09-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Thanks Streetwize, JJT_Defender, ersatz_cats thanked this post
    Likes datagod, JJT_Defender, ersatz_cats liked this post
  5. 08-09-2020, 04:32 PM
    Thats interesting and logical if it takes 240 dots to pass a board that he would apply that to giving himself @27 extra men to eat 9 dots each on the split screen until its cleared. Huh, clever. However, whats also intersting is it would show he does have Mame and a knowledge to use it which goes against his interviews on East Side Dave and other places where he's mentioned he doesnt have Mame on his house pc and has no knowledge on how to use it etc.
  6. 08-09-2020, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    I wanted to ask if anyone who attended the 2004 Milwaukee or San Jose shows can confirm what exactly Mitchell did? Did he demonstrate getting past the split screen in a manner similar to that posted by Mark?
    I second Evener's request. There's a lot on the line from this claim alone.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  7. 08-09-2020, 06:38 PM
    Scott Patterson has claimed the following:

1. He approved Billy's score because Pete Bouvier owed him a lot of money and he didn't want to rock the boat and threaten a much needed payday.

2. Pete wanted to overrule the referees and reject the score after the group of referees accepted it.

We need to determine:

1. Did Pete want the score accepted?
    2. Did Pete threaten to overrule the referees who did accept?

My take:

I think we can all understand how much several thousand dollars can mean to a young family. I believe Peterson was acting in the best interests of his family. You have to put family first, even when it involves business and integrity.

If Pete wanted the score accepted, it would be accepted. He was the boss. If he took his marching orders from somebody else, then he wasn't really the boss.
    Your friend, datagod

~~Raspberry Pi Enthusiast~~
  8. 08-09-2020, 07:29 PM
    As a clarification to The Mole's post about Mitchell in San Jose in 2004, it looks like it was in reference to Mitchell's attendance at the CGE 2004.

This is going to be a weird detour, but here's a link to where Walter discusses Wiebe and Mitchell at the event:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080702...ic.php?t=10695

Walter discusses this event in response to KoK to demonstrate that Mitchell didn't have animosity towards Wiebe prior to the "rift" portrayed in the film due to Steve's association with Roy Shildt. As Walter writes, "However, before this rift happened, Steve and Billy were on a trajectory that could have led to friendly interactions."

In my opinion Walter goes off-message in stating that Wiebe and Mitchell were going to compete that weekend for the honour of being awarded the poster for the first million points on DK in public. A simple reading of the poster doesn't jive with this assertion at all. The poster is clearly about "Celebrating the First Million Point Scores on Donkey Kong," as the poster goes on to recognize "Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe for being the first gamers in history to achieve this landmark accomplishment" - it makes no reference to a public million point duel to receive the poster. Recall that at the same CGE, Wiebe and Mitchell gave an interview where both had submitted video tapes of million point scores to Robert Mruczek for verification.

I came across another post years ago where Roy Shildt claimed that the original plan was to bestow the poster to Mitchell and Wiebe to recognize that they both achieved the first million point games on DK, but Wiebe didn't consent to this arrangement.

So if San Jose, CGE 2004 and ArcadePCs jog any memories, please post your recollections of Mitchell and Pac-Man at that event as reported by the Mole.
    Thanks JJT_Defender, ersatz_cats thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, ersatz_cats liked this post
  9. 08-10-2020, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Scott Patterson has claimed the following:

We need to determine:

1. Did Pete want the score accepted?
    2. Did Pete threaten to overrule the referees who did accept?

My take:

I think we can all understand how much several thousand dollars can mean to a young family. I believe Peterson was acting in the best interests of his family. You have to put family first, even when it involves business and integrity.

If Pete wanted the score accepted, it would be accepted. He was the boss. If he took his marching orders from somebody else, then he wasn't really the boss.
    From my point of view, I formulate. The refs were not comfortable accepting the score and doing the announcement. They told Pete. Pete talked to Billy. Billy didn't like it. Pete then discussed with Walter, and Pete likely took advise of Walter to accept the score because. You know it's Billy. That's the story I assumed happened based on what I knew. PSP statements match up will all things considered. Even about Pete not paying him etc. My bill to Pete was not as great as the amount PSP was promised. But I had follow- up many times with Pete to get paid for working the event. But I did. PSP had a right to be upset with Pete.

Back to the IVGHOF.
    There was a level of uneasiness at the IVGHOF moments prior to announcement. Between, Bill, Pete, TG ref staff working the event. We should get Matthew Bradford in here get his view point. As he was staff member there reporting on the event, not as a ref. I was too busy setting up the cameras and working to really see what was going on. Plus we had Roy Shildt in my ear the whole time, trying to get me to hand Billy his "award". Also note, Billy refused to wear my microphone during his announcement. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I was in the awe of Mitchell and major announcement!
  10. 08-10-2020, 08:55 AM
    this does raise a question about everyone besides psp. what was all their motive to accept? did billy somehow have a different way to intimidate everyone? that seems unlikely.

i think what this raises now that i notice is granted more psychology, mind reading, and intereperation so its possible i got psp wrong and will await correction. but

1. he accepted even though he didnt want to and only cause pete owed him money. I took this to mean he was saying he was under pressure by pete to accept, so much pressure in fact it would come at the expense of his pay.
    2. pete "almost" overruled the decision. not sure what "almost" overruling a decision involves, but that would imply that right after pete pressured psp to accept he then turned around and almost overruled the decision that he pressured through. this feels like either a contracition, or perhaps pete just flip flopped between extremes that quickly?
    3. and since using number to repeat the points above, why did all (or at least enough to win the vote) of the other refs agree to approve a score that they knew broke the rules?
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes datagod liked this post
Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Join us