Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

1. Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

09-27-2019, 10:00 PM
    As the score dispute case is now closed, any further discussion regarding the Jeremy Young's Donkey Kong Arcade Score Dispute Claim should be placed here.

Thank you.
    -TG
  2. 09-27-2019, 10:45 PM
    Best of luck in the case. I've been lurking over the past couple of weeks and have been simply awestruck over it all. Not just with BM himself, but with how heated things were inside the forum.

I'll be honest. I really wanted to give these "legends" a second chance and the benefit of the doubt, but they'll never let go of the lies that created their reputation.
    Todd's Facebook post showed how scummy he truly was. I actually read on Omnigamer's site that he broke down Dragster for his Speedrunning book in an effort to replicate how such a long-uncontested time could be attained in what was one of the earliest instances of speedrunning. It wasn't initially about taking him down, but after finding out it was impossible he had to bring that fact to light. It was simply the right thing to do.
    As for Billy Mitchell himself, I was piqued seeing him try to "redeem" himself on Twitch. I praise his efforts, but never actually bothered watching him after seeing how blind his supporters were. Comments I saw included repeating his unprovable statements as if they were actually true, and over-the-top expectations. There was also those he chose to stay associated with, including Todd Rogers and Triforce. Immediate red flags. I want to like him, but cheaters and scammers are a big no from me.
    Maybe BM is a decent person in the real world, but in the world of gaming a different picture is painted. We all wear masks. It's just that some people lose themselves in it along with their humanity.

I want to believe this will be the end, but I don't think he's going to quit that easily sadly. Oh well.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, Muerto, mcmike953 liked this post
  3. 09-27-2019, 11:26 PM
    Well said, Streetwize. In my own case, I was initially looking forward to "rubbing shoulders" with some of the TG old-timers when I joined, only to find out when I arrived that nearly all of them stopped score chasing! That said, I was very glad to hang out with the old-timers that stuck around in addition meeting an active "Next Generation" group of TG members and I'm very glad that I am part of this cohort.

I agree that there's a group (visible on Twitch and Twitter) that exist to praise Mitchell, reflexively repeat his denials, and echo back his King of Kong quotes to him. I suspect that the vast majority don't care about gaming, and so there's no need to interrogate his actions - it's just the fun of hanging with Mitchell. And to be fair, a lot of "fandom" is simply that - no investment in anything beyond the interaction.

Yes, the review of his evidence package would be a logical coda to the dispute review, especially since it became clear to me that a number of people who were swept up in providing statements may end up amending them if Mitchell presses ahead, or try to back out all together. For example, whatever Walter Day's investment may be in defending Mitchell, what purpose would it serve to submit a sworn statement that Mitchell's 1,047,200 score was entered into the database against his wishes by RTM, after everyone here has re-examined all of his public emails and statements where he stated plainly and without coercion the opposite?

End as it should, I'm not sure that Mitchell's bravado will give him enough space to step back without loss of face.
    Likes ersatz_cats, Muerto liked this post
  4. 09-28-2019, 01:02 AM
    Thank you, Twin Galaxies, for coming to the correct decision on the matter! Thank you for maintaining the cheater Billy Mitchell's lifetime leaderboard ban, for making a public statement to that end, and for making this ruling affirming competitive honesty and leaderboard integrity even in the face of actual legal threats. And hey, with the official dispute closed again, thank you also for giving us an official spot for continued discussion.
    Likes Rev John, Muerto, mcmike953 liked this post
  5. 09-28-2019, 06:55 AM
    I especially appreciate the comment than anyone with new evidence can reopen a dispute without a lawyer. What i've liked best about the new TG, is doing away with the old "one set of rules for the refs and another set of rules for the players". no more of the refs can see everyones secret tactics and use them, but for non-refs tactics must be a highly regarded secret. No more of scores imported from magazines that beat refs get removed but scores imported from magazines that dont beat refs get to stay. No more of the inmates (refs) running the asylum.

i do realize a lawsuit creates a special case, so i couldnt fault special treatment of the special case too hard. however, i'd like to applaud jace for finding a way to deal with this special case without resorting to special treatment.

That is by far what delights me most about this. It really is no small point that EVERYONE can reopen a dispute in the same way billy did. Same rules for everyone.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  6. 09-28-2019, 12:54 PM
    I suspect Billy will always profess his innocence and there will always be this mass of evidence against him. Why would he want to add a failed lawsuit to that? KOK2 maybe?
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  7. 09-28-2019, 03:38 PM
    If this is true, "
    Mitchell's 1,047,200 score was entered into the database against his wishes by RTM"
    why does billy seek to have the score reinstated??
  8. 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VerneV View Post
    If this is true, "
    Mitchell's 1,047,200 score was entered into the database against his wishes by RTM"
    why does billy seek to have the score reinstated??
    that score was since beat. i would imagine he only wants his highest, the 1.06 reinstated. though, the demand is pretty unclear so admittedly some speculation/common sense is required in interperting just what he meant.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  9. 09-28-2019, 08:01 PM
    Does anyone else her think that it's a bit dumb to threaten legal action with an "evidence package" that actually contained NO EVIDENCE?

The mind boggles.

john

10. 09-28-2019, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    Does anyone else her think that it's a bit dumb to threaten legal action with an "evidence package" that actually contained NO EVIDENCE?

The mind boggles.

john

I saw Billy somewhere mention something to the effect thats its customary in legal proceedings that witness testimony is what most cases come down to; that must be why his package is loaded with them and is the bulk of the evidence. There was a lot also included with them, but I think everyone was mostly looking for complete technical evidence in relation to the loading screens.
    Thanks lexmark thanked this post
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Join us