Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

This poll is closed
  1. 10-11-2021, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
    This is probably the article you're looking for, Snowflake:
    https://www.scholarlygamers.com/feat...illy-mitchell/

Now that you mention it, I do find it a bit funny I'm not defending his actions towards the community but his actions against TG's public figures. I already said I'd concede but when you put it in that perspective it does make a lot of sense. It's certainly possible he is lying about some things, though I really don't see how changing sides is an issue. Many people supported and defended Todd, and some of them chose to stop after the evidence ruled against him. Does that equate to them throwing him under the bus? The most wrong I can see from a situation like this was if they never acknowledged their initial support. Acting like they always hated the person when they didn't would raise some suspicion. PSP does say in his article that he used to like Mitchell, and the public posts praising him at least back that up. I just don't think it's fair to suggest he could speak out against him given the circumstances.

But again: what he did to others definitely raises a few red flags, and is enough to believe what you're trying to say. That said though, I really don't think what he brought up in the article should be discredited though, lest you want to discredit a large portion of the countersuit TG raised against Mitchell.
    yes i think that was the article
    yes, i even agree with a bit in it -- not cause psp says so, but because its independtly verifiable. Bllly realy wasnt that big in the 80s, he had a few minor appearances that gets blown up into something bigger than it was now, psp is right on that. I actually really enjoy reading the old magazines. I also believe hes right on the disapperaing scores -- fyi, that problem extends beyond just mitchell.
    Yes people can change their minds. I think my only hang up there is, did he really change his mind, or is he just pretending when he changed his mind to make it seem like thats the source of all his problems.

at first i thought you were contradicting yourself on a point, but now i realize we may have been saying different things. If billy had to keep quiet cause of an nda, then how could we hate him for speaking against mitchell, since you know, he didnt speak against him. I think i now realize you just meant other tg insiders hated him for it, since he brought it up privately, fine and good, sorry for seeing a contradiction when there was none. he though does try to pull that contradiction by saying its the community as well that turned on him after that.

i also need to throw in (not to speak for you glen) but i think its more glen whos countering the nda points. I dont know enough about that. I largely agree with glen on most points here, but i'm not as sure as he is on that point, so its not really a point i'm arguing.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  2. 10-11-2021, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    yes i think that was the article
    I think my only hang up there is, did he really change his mind, or is he just pretending when he changed his mind to make it seem like thats the source of all his problems.
    Yeah I have no problem with people changing their minds. I have a problem with people lying. When he made that "Why I No Longer Support Twin Galaxies" video on YouTube right after he quit being a ref he never mentioned Billy or his now claim of he didn't want to verify the score. Even though we have old forum posts of him more than happy to verify and announce Billy's last WR score. I mean none of this should be a surprise. After all this is a guy that lied about getting a Donkey Kong killscreen by taking a photo of Hank Chien's WR submission and cropping out the L=22 from that submission and using that as proof he got a killscreen. Of course once people started calling him out on that he removed that page that was congratulating himself from his website. That's alright though cause a lot of us kept the screenshots.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110227025333/http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/home
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ninglendo; 10-11-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Thanks Rev John thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, D.B. Cooper liked this post
  3. 10-11-2021, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo View Post
    The video was made shortly after he left TG. I wanna say 2012 was when the video was made. It was a video explaining why he chose to leave TG while he bashed Pete and TG. He has since taken the video down or made it private. I used to have it on my old PC but that PC burnt in a fire.
    I'd like to say that PSP should probably elaborate on that, but considering his questionable credibility I don't think it'll get us anywhere.

It's worth noting that in the article I linked, he didn't go after Todd the same way he did Mitchell. All he said was that if Todd was being questioned, so should Mitchell. That's hardly throwing him under the bus. Many others have defended Todd by appealing to his legacy and stopped once the ruling came out. Why is PSP being held to a double standard over this? I'd like you to stop ignoring this.

Like I said, PSP was probably just trying to do his job. I'm not going to debate his complicity in the corruption, but what could he do? He was promised money that would never come and Mitchell allegedly threatened TG if the score wasn't accepted. Yes, he's done other awful things, but does that truly rationalize dehumanizing him?
  4. 10-11-2021, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
    I'd like to say that PSP should probably elaborate on that, but considering his questionable credibility I don't think it'll get us anywhere.

It's worth noting that in the article I linked, he didn't go after Todd the same way he did Mitchell. All he said was that if Todd was being questioned, so should Mitchell. That's hardly throwing him under the bus. Many others have defended Todd by appealing to his legacy and stopped once the ruling came out. Why is PSP being held to a double standard over this? I'd like you to stop ignoring this.

Like I said, PSP was probably just trying to do his job. I'm not going to debate his complicity in the corruption, but what could he do? He was promised money that would never come and Mitchell allegedly threatened TG if the score wasn't accepted. Yes, he's done other awful things, but does that truly rationalize dehumanizing him?
    Maybe because not only was he defending Todd but he was bashing the dispute process and saying he didn't agree with the dispute or the process while it was going on and that he and the rest of the USNVGT didn't support the process. This was after Omnigamer made his analysis that made it clear as day that 5.51 wasn't possible. Like I said previously I have no problem with people changing their mind. I have a problem with people lying. You asked me for proof that he was supporting Todd during the dispute and I provided it. This goes beyond just saying you support someone when you completely disregard all the evidence and the process. The fact is the ONLY people that were questioning Billy's record 10 years ago was other DK players like Hank Chien and Ben Falls. Some DK players were the only ones saying there was something funny with the video. Another thing is he was clearly using the USNVGT for self promotion and things of that nature. @Snowflake was there for the "Wikipedia Wars" so he might be able to elaborate more on that. For the record too being a TG ref BITD wasn't a paying job. It was volunteer work.
  5. 10-11-2021, 05:30 PM
    Here is a fun exercise... If you were a volunteer for a place and they told you to do something that you knew was wrong would you do it? If they actually offered him or promised him money to approve the score then that would be taking a bribe.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  6. 10-11-2021, 06:01 PM
    PSP was never under any NDA with Twin Galaxies. He has mentioned several times that he was under an NDA with video game movies or TV shows.

In fact, when I gave him 300 bucks to produce his Arcade x History x Culture show I was promised to be given "SPONSORED BY" credits for 6 months, 1 episode per month.

That last 3 episodes then he quit, siting a non compete clause with a TV production company that did nothing for years and years. I was promised this and that, but nothing ever came of it.

I treat it as an investment in wisdom. Don't give money to people to produce internet TV shows.
  7. 10-11-2021, 06:04 PM
    we're now on a tangent of a tangent of a tangent on a pretty emotional issue, it might be worth remembering the context

i drew attention to roy calling out billy on and being attacked over it
    other names were then brought up, including but not limited to psp, having his reputation destroyed over it
    i took exception to that narrative which i know comes from him, that somehow the reason people dont like him is because of his fine upstanding behavior questioning billy and looking for truth when in reality hes disliked for other matters.

to some degree, of course explaining why some of us dislike him invovles justifying our dislike and trying to convince others we're right. but really for the purposes of this, even if psp is the greatest guy in the world, its sufficient to prove that the reason for his disapproval is absolutley not always billy. and honestly, this is about self referencing, but the fact he spins it that way is in fact further evidence to add to the list of how he upsets people who are not in billys corner.

people are also discussing the pay as though its proven fact. Its worth pointing out even psp's own words are that he was concerned the money would be held up, he never said (to my knowledge) that was a threat made. So even if we trust his word of events, that pete is no longer around to deny and defend himself over, even by that word he only believed it could be an issue. I'm not much concerned about believing or disbelieving psp in terms of billy threatening him cause i could see it being true or not, but since pete would be then extorting here i think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  8. 10-11-2021, 06:05 PM
    As for Peterson not getting a salary, you don't pay volunteers. He was not on salary. Shortly after Pete's death, PSP claimed Pete promised him $4000 of life changing money to run a console tournament for a weekend. Funny how that number only came out after Pete died.
  9. 10-11-2021, 06:09 PM
    Peterson's entire reason given for quitting TG back in late 2010 (timeline is fuzzy) was that he had bigger and better things to do that would serve him personally and his goals and aspirations. "No longer will I mention TG or promote any of their content".

He mentioned that he was asked to write articles about people, that he was instructed to "write about it, but stay out of the way" that sort of thing. I felt bad for him at the time, because you could tell he really wanted to be in the lime light, he really wanted to be the new Billy Mitchell. He had the long hair, he padded the database with over 700 world records, he talked about vidya games all day long, he was boosting and promoting himself. But Billy kept getting the love and adoration of fans. That has to hurt.
  10. 10-11-2021, 06:14 PM
    Joel West sent me this letter that Petersent emailed him. In it, Peterson never mentions Billy ever. His soul crushing realization that he sacrificed so much and recieved nothing was what did it.
    ---------------------------------------
    FormerFriend,

This type of e-mail essentially explains why I dropped contact with you. A long winded preach session about something you have zero facts correct on. The fact that you didn't notice for six weeks confirms my decision further.

Rest assured that it had nothing to do with anyone I'm friends with or who you are friends with.

I did not threaten to go public. I stated I would be in my rights to do so. The "gift" as you put it went to 18 people. 18 people, FormerFriend. I skipped my son's birthday and put off buying a house, putting my marriage in a strain for Twin Galaxies. I was screwed out of thousands by Pete. I sacrificed. The idea that 18 people would receive a "gift" before me is soul crushing and further proof of why I need to be a million miles way from anything TG for the rest of my life. No "entitlement" or anything... it's not about the money as it is the principle of this and the example of what it shows.

But frankly, FormerFriend... this is between me and Walter. Not you. I did not invite you into the conversation. You are not welcome in the conversation. If I wanted to be threatened I would go downtown at midnight and if I wanted to be preached to I'd go to church. The fact that Walter failed to keep it between me and him further crushes my heart in relation to him, and adds to the revelation that he is not trustworthy.

I have no plans to chat about this.. or anything related to Twin Galaxies ever again for the rest of my life. You wish to believe that it brought me things I worked to gain for myself. I feel that it has brought me nothing but grief, pain, disappointment and bullshit.

You can't possibly understand this situation from my shoes, nor do you have to look my children in the eyes and be reminded of what you sacrificed and they sacrificed only to watch others who didn't do go get a "gift" before I did. Same as it ever was.

Refrain from contacting me further about this. If and when we encounter each other in person again perhaps we can sit and chat. At this time I have no further desire to hear from you on this topic nor any other.

- Scott
Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Join us