Post Verdict Dispute Discussion: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. 09-14-2020, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ProveAll View Post
    Rick Fothergill DID achieve his perfect Pac-Man at Funspot on 07-31-1999.

Walter posted the wrong location for Rick, but correctly notes the type of submission.
    I've been very curious about the circumstances of the Gentleman's agreement that was struck where (as I understand) according to its terms Fothergill and Mitchell would forgo competing separately on the title over the intervening months (perhaps practicing but nothing would be official) and then return to Funspot in 2000 to resume a live, head-to-head contest to see who could achieve the Perfect Pac first (I presume that others could in principle jump in at the next tournament, like Ayra). Presumably, resuming it at next year's tournament would provide an easy way for the feat to be adjudicated, and TG could "hype" the tournament with news of a Perfect Pac battle.

I couldn't locate any specific detailed account of the agreement on-line either in an interview or forum post. In conversations with Rick, have you learned the nitty-gritty details of the arrangement? - who proposed the agreement, when was it was proposed, who was privy to it (eg. just the players or was there a quasi "closing speech" by Walter where he mentioned that the battle for the Perfect Pac would resume next year), the obligations that Fothergill and Mitchell were bound to follow by submitting to the agreement, etc.
    Last edited by The Evener; 09-14-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats, JJT_Defender liked this post
Join us