Favourite Gaming Controller??

1. Favourite Gaming Controller??

06-06-2020, 02:49 AM
    What is your all-time fav gaming controller (not console)?

I'm torn bc my fav console (Dreamcast) has the worst controller....

Here is my rant about how I think Sega came up with the DC Controller....

Likes Mackwilson liked this post
  2. 06-16-2020, 03:18 AM
    At first glance this seems a question with an easy answer, and I see it a lot around retrogaming forums.
    However, the answer is not that easy.

I think the peak in controller design was reached in the 32 bit era. I recognize that things like the Mega Drive and the SNES controller were a massive step ahead, but the next generation of consoles really changed how we saw the pad: before it was just an input device, then it started to feel like a natural extension of the player's hands.

Controllers are tied with a double knot to the games designed for them: you notice this when you play the same game on different platforms, and while the game is enjoyable on one, it plays like s**t on the other.

And here is where the DualShock 2 takes the lead: every single button is easy to operate (a thing you can't say about the GameCube Z button for example), the D-Pad is perfectly balanced, and the sticks are grippy, responsive and easy to reach.

So in conclusion if I had to give you the easy, quick answer, I would have said the GameCube wired controller, but considered all what I said here, I think my favorite all-time controller is the PlayStation 2 DualShock 2.
    Likes Johnny Bloor liked this post
  3. 06-28-2020, 02:53 PM
    The PS2 Controller is a great choice and was way more durable than the PS3 controller....
  4. 07-03-2020, 01:23 AM
    My top 3 favorites as of right now is the XBOX One Controller, Switch Pro, and the good ol' classic SNES Controller.
    Thanks Johnny Bloor thanked this post
  5. 07-08-2020, 06:58 PM
    Dreamcast and Scuf controller.
    geometry dash
  6. 07-08-2020, 07:29 PM
    I guess it's not really my favorite, overall, but I bought this 8bitdo controller recently, and was really impressed with it:

https://www.8bitdo.com/m30/

They also make NES/SNES-alikes and analog controllers, in a variety of connectors including wireless versions for those original consoles. Someone to watch, maybe.

I'm MAME and PC, so my go to is an Xbox One (Bluetooth) for it's range of controls.
    Last edited by grinder2112; 07-08-2020 at 07:37 PM.
  7. 07-09-2020, 07:38 AM
    For MAME, I use a Logitech that looks like a PS2.
  8. 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM
    How can anyone hate on a SNES controller?!
    "Live, Laugh, Game"
  9. 07-13-2020, 11:50 AM
    A lot of these older controllers were not perfect, but they are so nostalgic.

XBOX one/360 controllers are great choices.
    "Live, Laugh, Game"
  10. Yesterday, 08:12 AM
    This joypad?

Name:  Dendy_Junior_with_cart_and_joypads.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  130.3 KB
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us