GUINNESS GAMERS EDITION SNUBS TWIN GALAXIES AGAIN

1. GUINNESS GAMERS EDITION SNUBS TWIN GALAXIES AGAIN

09-26-2019, 04:44 AM
    I picked up a copy of the Guinness Gamer's Edition 2020. For many years and not too long ago, Guinness published extensive world records provided by Twin Galaxies in various console games, MAME and arcade. Recently Guinness dumped publishing TG World Records and the 2020 edition is no exception.

In the 2020 edition, Twin Galaxies is not in the index, yet it is mentioned on page 17 with the Golden Oldies.

1. Perhaps people don't care anymore about TG, the gamers who play games, and their high scores? What say you? The forum at TG is open again and this thread is for all matters regarding TG World Records published (or no more) at Guinness. Please have your say.

2. How much did Guinness pay Twin Galaxies each year for the world records that used to be published in their book? Was it for free?

3. If I was the Project Manager of the new annual Twin Galaxies Gamer's Edition, with full management control including marketing, content, time, sales, cost, quality, scope, risks and benefits, what would you like to see in the publication? Do you have any other feedback? The idea would be to create a team of contributors including writers, artists, programmers, gamers etc. to publish the latest news on gamers and gaming culture, tournaments and hype.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 09-26-2019, 05:47 AM
    Yeah, it's sad I guess, but I think the relationship has ran its course.
    Both sides should consider just dropping the association altogether, as Guinness has no interest in utilizing it, and it just brings false hopes to new members here at TG.
    Wubalubadubdub!
  3. 09-26-2019, 06:01 AM
    If this thread conclusively establishes that TG records are no longer recognised by Guinness, I will abandon ship
    Last edited by Almighty Dreadlock; 10-01-2019 at 09:16 AM.
  4. 09-26-2019, 06:53 AM
    GWR should have a few summary pages like they have done in GWR Gamers Edition 2016.
    Note that quite a few gaming records are still beaten and chased. So TG records are
    still relevant.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
  5. 09-26-2019, 10:18 AM
    Not even the scores on the Guinness World Records tracks, the tracks that Guinness themselves created, made the book?
  6. 09-26-2019, 04:43 PM
    It has been this way for the past few years, and each entity distance themselves.

The answer every year is always the same...

Guinness does THEIR own thing.
    Twin Galaxies does THEIR own thing.
    Likes Barthax, Snowflake liked this post
  7. 09-27-2019, 01:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    It has been this way for the past few years, and each entity distance themselves.

The answer every year is always the same...

Guinness does THEIR own thing.
    Twin Galaxies does THEIR own thing.
    Interesting, an opportunity may exist here for Twin Galaxies (to do their own thing) and have their own "Gamer's Edition" book. An annual, at a lower price, with video gaming stories, records and a great look for the gaming enthusiast. It would cover upcoming, current and past video games. Note that TG was present before Guinness on the video gaming scene. It would be a TG book with the TG scoreboard, and it could be very popular for everyone into fun and gaming on the planet. It would be a world wide release in all countries, and if very profitable, provided in other major languages.
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  8. 09-27-2019, 01:39 AM
    Hi @Jace Hall , could you please answer point 2. It is also listed below:

2. How much did Guinness pay Twin Galaxies each year for the world records that used to be published in their book? Was it for free?
  9. 09-27-2019, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    Hi @Jace Hall, could you please answer point 2. It is also listed below:

When I got TG, there was no Guinness relationship. It had ended during Walter's Pete/Adler era. I only have limited knowledge of what the nature of the relationship was before that time - so I can't really speak to it.

Once I got TG, GWR and TG reestablished the parameters of the working relationship and the parameters have not changed since.

I've explained the structure of it to the community on a few occasions. GWR is welcome to use TG record data for their book if they would like to, as long as TG is credited. There is no money involved.

For clarity, GWR is in the book publishing business, which as you know is a very challenging business these days - so they are going to put content in their book that they feel will help to sell it. Their decisions on what content they need will vary from year to year based on what they want to emphasize. It's up to them.

So to reiterate - what GWR chooses to put in their book or not put in their book is primarily based on their perception of what will help them make money. It's not based on any strengthening or weakening of TG/GWR relationship. We all get along just fine as needed.
    @Marcade is correct in saying that we all do our own thing and we come together where it makes sense.

It's pretty straightforward.
  10. 09-27-2019, 07:49 PM
    Guinness Gaming should be publishing AT LEAST 6 pages every year of Retro Twin Galaxies scores ... and AT LEAST 6 pages of modern gaming. The scores on Intellivision, Atari, Arcade and MAME have been seriously challenged over the past few years. It's a shame that we're overlooked once again. Our current High-Score chasers at Twin Galaxies are the best that ever was in any gaming time period. It's a huge mistake.

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Jace Hall, OOO, JJT_Defender liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us