How did an Ikari Warriors arcade score from 1987 suddenly appear in the database?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. How did an Ikari Warriors arcade score from 1987 suddenly appear in the database?

10-01-2019, 02:46 AM
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/ikari-warriors/arcade

That 1,799,000 score never used to be there. I don't know when exactly it showed up, but back in 2008 I'd recently gotten an Ikari Warriors machine, which was my late best friend Corey's favorite arcade game from when we were kids in the 1980s, and we both were playing it just about every day, competing with each other for the high score, as well as trying to unofficially beat the Twin Galaxies record, which, at the time, was Walt Price's 1,414,500-point score (and soon thereafter, Noah Banwarth's 1,445,600-point score). We both ended up beating it (using Twin Galaxies DIP switch settings and no continues), with my highest score being 1,532,300 points and Corey's being 1,571,100 points.

After Corey was killed in Afghanistan I didn't have any motivation to play the game and my machine collected dust for many years. Recently I dusted it off, played a couple of games, and checked Twin Galaxies to see what the current high score was, and as if by magic, an outrageously score from 1987 was now in the top spot; no tape for evidence; just an unnamed referee. So, some 30 years later, some referee happened to recall that score? Is that what happened?

I won't go so far as to say that 1,799,000 is an impossible score, because I don't know for sure, though I'd have to see it to believe it. Both Corey's score and my score were done with a lot of point-pressing. A typical no-point-pressing score is in the 1,350,000-point range if you beat the game (~350,000 being the actual in-game points that were scored, and the extra 1,000,000 being a bonus that's automatically awarded for beating the game). You can see an example of this in this video I made about 6 years ago where my goal wasn't a high score, but rather, to beat the game on just one life (rather than just one credit):

When point-pressing you'd inherently use all of your lives because that's part of maximizing your score.

Opportunities to point-press are limited because the AI starts rapid-firing high-explosive missiles at you if you stay in one place for too long, plus there are only a few places in the game where enemies continually respawn, so getting an extra ~450,000 points over a no-point-pressing game (which more than doubles the amount of in-game points scored) is a little hard to believe.

But regardless of whether the 1,799,000 is possible or not, a referee-verified score from 1987 suddenly showing up in the TG database decades later seems dubious to me.
    Last edited by maxim_recoil; 10-01-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Join us