Dispute: william rosa - Atari 2600 / VCS - Commando - NTSC - Game 1 (Points) - Player: David B Yancey - Score: 1,000,000

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. Dispute: william rosa - Atari 2600 / VCS - Commando - NTSC - Game 1 (Points) - Player: David B Yancey - Score: 1,000,000

10-05-2019, 11:07 AM
    Atari 2600 / VCS - Commando - NTSC - Game 1 (Points)
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=2758
    Rules
    One-Player game.
    Difficulty switches are not used in this game.

Player Name
    David B Yancey
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    Video
    Verification Date
    2003-07-15
    Disputed Score
    1,000,000 (Rank 4)
    Disputed By
    Snowflake
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    most activision titles max 1 million, its what someone would guess is the maxout if they didnt know this was one of the few exceptions. how do multiple people get 1 million even on a game that rolls over? discussion already here
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...-Score-274-700
    Thanks datagod, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Marcade, datagod, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 10-25-2019, 04:21 AM
    Rudy Ferretti has released a public statement in support of this dispute. He states that he never submitted to the Activision Anthology. By his own words, this dispute should be accepted and that score removed from the scoreboard.

"I don't have the score that I ever submitted on the Activision anthology, I don't know how the hell it ever got there!"

Thank you Rudy for letting us know the truth.
    $$$ Not a shareholder - Maybe $$$
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

3. 12-02-2019, 06:28 AM
    Cross-posting from the RTM dispute on Commando, citing a public forum exchange circa 2003 where Yancey seeks tips from RTM on Commando - decision to stop at 1 million while recognizing scoring continues after roll over acknowledged as well.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...=1#post1062487
    Thanks nads, RTM thanked this post
    Likes nads liked this post
  4. 12-14-2019, 07:19 PM
    Voting invalid on this one. David reached OR beat the 1M mark.

Trying to invalidate a 15+ year old score because of the possibility that a HIGHER score was submitted based on the 15 year old words from the submitting gamer is a waste of time and accomplishes nothing.

To quote Andrew, "cue the trolls".
  5. 12-14-2019, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Rudy Ferretti has released a public statement in support of this dispute. He states that he never submitted to the Activision Anthology. By his own words, this dispute should be accepted and that score removed from the scoreboard.

"I don't have the score that I ever submitted on the Activision anthology, I don't know how the hell it ever got there!"

Thank you Rudy for letting us know the truth.

RTM REPLY - just one question...shouldn't this have been posted within the Rudy dispute for the same title ?
  6. 12-14-2019, 10:39 PM
    I didn't delve into Rudy's dispute as closely, my inclination is that at minimum one could point to the fact since you and Yancey deliberately stopped at 1 million, one can't rule out that he did as well. But I didn't go further and in view of datagod's post about Rudy's statement - I'm not clear if Rudy is claiming that he never submitted to the Commando track, or just on the Anthology.
    Likes RTM liked this post
  7. 12-17-2019, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Voting invalid on this one. David reached OR beat the 1M mark.

Trying to invalidate a 15+ year old score because of the possibility that a HIGHER score was submitted based on the 15 year old words from the submitting gamer is a waste of time and accomplishes nothing.

To quote Andrew, "cue the trolls".
    I'm sorry but i just cant agree its a waste of time, however i'll explain why.

1. I think accuracy ALWAYS matters. I recognize you sometimes view accuracy as "nit picking" so i'll elaborate as to why accuracy matters. Even if in and of itself its not a big deal, it raises a red flag to possible other issues. In this particular case you yourself acknowledged submitting a lower score wouldnt be allowed and goes against the point of people working hard to earn exact scores. An exact score was a point of pride, enough of a point of pride that you and others put in a lot of effort to get exact scores, its not fair for someone else to just claim an exact score and get those cool numbers without earning it. Further, it raises questions of, if one standard was violated what other standards were violated?
    2. David in particular has had MANY scores removed for being impossible. It starts to become a pattern. This score is not provably false, but the questionability combined with his other proven impossible scores I think is a real concern. I'll be blunt. My real issue with david, is his river raid and plaque attack scores (and his score history of course), while technically possible, are "too good to be true". Now combine this with other impossible scores that just happened to equal to what he would've believed the maxout was and i have an issue. I would immediately drop my investigation into yancey's scores if those two -- river raid and plaque attack -- were either proven true or removed. Those scores matter alot, and based on his other scores i have doubts about them. Dealing with those would allow me to stop caring about all his other suspicious scores.

heck, i'll even go this far. i was wayyy more blunt with david in other threads. If he just proves one of those two, i'll be so impressed by his skills that i'll accept all his other fake scores really were typos, or bugs, or some other explanation thats not his fault and i will be very embarassed and offer him a very sincere apology for whatever thats worth.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  8. 12-17-2019, 06:11 PM
    weird, my memory was wrong. david's plaque attack score -- while amazing, is within humanly possible. I somehow remembered him tying todd's maxout there, my memory was clearly wrong

so actually only his river raid score is of real concern to me. I cant dispute that because "too good to be true", well we know how that goes..... So instead we have to go after many of his other scores, which each time just results in "please remove that score with my blessing" and its gone but the others stay.

so thats what its really about to me. his other scores are on low profile enough games, that if impossible will be removed of it too hard to be "humanly possible" noone will really care, or they're on high profile games but reasonably possible to tie or beat. River raid though, sure back when todd had the maxout, another maxout didnt seem so impossible, but as the very best players have trouble even getting 1/5 the maxout it becomes a real annoyance as i wonder if the score is real -- and again, its not solely because its too good to be true, its the high score COMBINED with his other removed ones that make me so concerned about his submitting patterns
  9. 12-18-2019, 06:54 PM
    In truth I have not been following any previous efforts to discredit any of Yancey's scores...I honestly tried to make an effort to avoid doing so after his publicly blasting my claim that I had played on a DK 2600 cart that did not allow for fireball control no matter what you tried.

Ironically that claim also included how I "coerced" Todd into removing his 15 million point score, which was a private matter between two senior TG referees, and now that element of his concern is moot.

I'm sure someone has passed my own 2600 DK score by now which was 849K without fireball control...not bad considering what an absolutely cakewalk the game becomes with that feature working the way that it should.
  10. 12-18-2019, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    In truth I have not been following any previous efforts to discredit any of Yancey's scores...I honestly tried to make an effort to avoid doing so after his publicly blasting my claim that I had played on a DK 2600 cart that did not allow for fireball control no matter what you tried.

Ironically that claim also included how I "coerced" Todd into removing his 15 million point score, which was a private matter between two senior TG referees, and now that element of his concern is moot.

I'm sure someone has passed my own 2600 DK score by now which was 849K without fireball control...not bad considering what an absolutely cakewalk the game becomes with that feature working the way that it should.
    as much as i appreciate our abilty to be civil in this discussion i'm just not gonna agree an alternate donkey kong atari rom exists until a single such example is shown. however, that debate fortuantley is not relevant here.

any bad blood between you two over that shouldnt affect involvement one way or the other. of course scores of his shouldnt be attacked because of personal feeling, but you also cant overcompensate and purposely give a free pass because of personal feelings.

if you have relevant info, simply declare your conflict of interest as you have already done, and then present it. holding back, for fear that it looks personal doesnt help the scoreboard. admin still has to make the final call and they can decide if you info is biased or relevant.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us