Atari 2600 / VCS - Galaxian - EMU - Game 1, Difficulty B (Points) - 59,770 - Joonas Taimi

Is this a valid score?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Galaxian - EMU - Game 1, Difficulty B (Points) - 59,770 - Joonas Taimi

11-05-2019, 06:29 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:

EMU - Game 1, Difficulty B (Points)
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=23528
    Rules
    Difficulty switch must be set to B position.
    Any other settings should remain default upon boot-up.
    Submission Message
    Used Stella 6.0.1, settings shown at the beginning. Run starts at around 44:27.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks Almighty Dreadlock thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco, Pat Larocque, ILLSeaBass liked this post
  2. 11-05-2019, 07:51 AM
    Hey, look who's joining the "Cool Crowd"!!!
    :P

Haha, I'm teasing-the entire site is filled with great, great people, but the love you get from the Atari community is hard to match.

I also think 2600 is a bit of a "proving ground"-the games are pretty well known, usually a lot of scores, so you can really see where you stack up.

That said(is no offense-I'm just not terribly familiar with most of the stuff you've done in the past), you are even better, IMO, than what I thought you were, this game is no joke, and that's a great score!

Not that it really matters to me how "good" someone is, "fun" trumps "skill" in my book, just sayin'.

This kind of game, you may know, is a big gaping hole in my skillset, anything resembling Space Invaders, but based on this there are many 2600 games you will do very well on!

Accepted,#1!!!
    Wubalubadubdub!
    Thanks Joonas thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco View Post
    Hey, look who's joining the "Cool Crowd"!!!

Haha, I'm teasing-the entire site is filled with great, great people, but the love you get from the Atari community is hard to match.

I also think 2600 is a bit of a "proving ground"-the games are pretty well known, usually a lot of scores, so you can really see where you stack up.

That said(is no offense-I'm just not terribly familiar with most of the stuff you've done in the past), you are even better, IMO, than what I thought you were, this game is no joke, and that's a great score!

Not that it really matters to me how "good" someone is, "fun" trumps "skill" in my book, just sayin'.

This kind of game, you may know, is a big gaping hole in my skillset, anything resembling Space Invaders, but based on this there are many 2600 games you will do very well on!

Accepted,#1!!!
    Thanks! Yeah, this is the first time I have ever played any Atari 2600 game :D Might give some of those others a try in the future.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco, Garrett Holland liked this post
  4. 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM
    Fantastic score on a tough cart!! Accepted!
    Thanks Joonas thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco, Garrett Holland liked this post
  5. 11-05-2019, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonas View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, this is the first time I have ever played any Atari 2600 game :D Might give some of those others a try in the future.
    Please listen to me. PLEASE!

I had access to Atari as a kid, but I was a little kid really, a couple years too young to really take it seriously.

When I was in my early 20's, the Activision Anthology came out on PS1, and being cheap(30 games, for 20$! Heck Yeah-I was paying my own bills then, lol!).
    I remember thinking, "Neat curiosity, too bad no one will ever take these games seriously again".

So, flash forward 20 years or so, I accidentally wound up here, playing MAME(being able to name-drop my Burgertime badassery never gets old...).

Well, like you, the culture kinda got in my head, I enjoyed what was going on here, and started exploring around for "new"(old)stuff to do.

Got in my head to try out 2600 eventually, Grand Prix was my first sub(bad, but improved to the max now-I think I may have beat Todd Rogers on my first sub, and was proud of that, in a respectful way), and Night Driver my first "success"(Check it out, lol-"one-shot", possibly the only time that's gonna be done...).
    (Lol, I sure am bragging on myself, but am realizing now that it actually helps reinforce my point)…

So the 2600 community started encouraging me, pushing me, and I slowly started getting better(at some things...), and than I started to realize-
    Breaking down these pixel-based games, learning to ignore the unimportant and deal with the priorities, will help you get better on every single thing you play on any system from then on, I swear.

I guess it's kinda like learning music, and going back to the "roots" to really understand it, the base you can build playing 2600 really adds to your overall skillset.

Some of the games are pretty primitive. Some are actually pretty "nice", for the time.
    It takes time for someone to "go back" and accept the games for what they are, and appreciate the skill involved in doing well, but again, the main point-
    The Atari will make you better at everything, if you'll give it enough of a chance, I PROMISE!!!

With your F-1 stuff, you may like time trial games(my favorite/specialty), I dunno.

Anyway, do what you want, no fun if you don't, but I do hope to see more of this "old stuff" from ya!!!
    Wubalubadubdub!
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 11-08-2019, 10:47 PM
    Great score, Joonas! Galaxian is kind of a tough port for the 2600 ... not easy to get a good score, much less a great one. Congratz! Accepted!
    Likes Joonas liked this post
  7. 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM
    Accepted!!
    Likes Joonas liked this post
Join us