Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=19177
    Rules
    ROMSet: OutRun
    Unknown: Off
    Cabinet: Up Cockpit
    Time: Normal
    Enemies: Normal
    Special Rules: You may freely choose your pathway through the game.
    Submission Message
    Achieved on December 19, 2019
    Total Race Time = 4:42.25
    43.6 seconds remaining
    No offroad trick

Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks ABC-ArcadePlayerABC, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  2. 12-20-2019, 12:12 AM
    As someone who has spent along time playing OutRun (Since 1986) I am not
    a real fan of it in MAME. People say its the same, but so clearly not.
    If anyone sees at the start the way the gears and acceleration works is so different to
    genuine hardware. Fulls revs at the start and mostly staying in high gear would never work.
    The stage timings too are a world away from the original.

I have no problem if people play and enjoy it in MAME, that's great.
    But to say its the same game is way off.

But OutRun is OutRun and a lot off us really love it.
    Thanks stella_blue thanked this post
  3. 12-20-2019, 12:25 AM
    But one hell of a great run. Top Driving.
  4. 12-22-2019, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nurtuo View Post
    If anyone sees at the start the way the gears and acceleration works is so different to
    genuine hardware. Fulls revs at the start and mostly staying in high gear would never work.

The "boost" start can be achieved on both the Arcade and MAME platforms.

(1) Start in high gear
    (2) When the second red light appears, ease off the accelerator slightly
    (3) When the green light appears, floor the accelerator while simultaneously shifting very quickly to low gear and back to high gear

When executed properly, a top speed of 293 km/hr can be reached in 5.18 seconds.

As for maintaining top speed in high gear, both platforms are also similar. You should never have to shift into low gear, except following a major crash. Once the top speed has been reached, Stages 1, 2 and 4 can be completed in high gear without dropping below 293 km/hr. It requires precise steering, but it can be done (unlike the mandatory slowdowns in Stages 3 and 5).

The stage timings too are a world away from the original.

Both MAME and Arcade suffer from the same programming bug. The total race time is accurate, as is the displayed time for Stage 5. However, the displayed lap times for Stages 1 through 4 are incorrect. The error concerns the hundredths of a second, as the value is retrieved from the wrong memory location; the displayed value belongs to the current stage, not the stage just completed. Very rarely do you see a value other than xx.18, xx.21 or xx.25 for the individual stage time. Those values correspond to the 12th, 14th and 16th frames of the current lap.
    Likes JJT_Defender, DaLar liked this post
  5. 12-28-2019, 06:57 AM
    Allow me to demonstrate the stage timing glitch that I mentioned in my previous reply. The bug is present in both the Arcade and MAME platforms, and affects Stages 1 through 4 in 100% of all cases.

The following images are all captured from this current submission.

Stage 1

The actual lap time for Stage 1 is 56.34 seconds, one frame before the timer resets (see below):

Name:  Stage 1A.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  53.3 KB

The timer resets to 0.01 seconds on the following frame (beginning of Stage 2):

Name:  Stage 1B.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  53.4 KB

On the frame where the Stage 1 lap summary first appears, the value is incorrect. The hundredths of a second has been retrieved from the wrong memory location, and is identical to the value for the current stage (0'56"21 and 0'00"21) instead of the previous one:

Name:  Stage 1C.jpg
Size:  46.9 KB

Stage 1 Lap Times

56.34 (actual)
    56.21 (incorrect)
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  6. 12-28-2019, 07:07 AM
    Stage 2

The actual lap time for Stage 2 is 55.34 seconds, one frame before the timer resets (see below):

Name:  Stage 2A.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

The timer resets to 0.01 seconds on the following frame (beginning of Stage 3):

Name:  Stage 2B.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

On the frame where the Stage 2 lap summary first appears, the value is incorrect. The hundredths of a second has been retrieved from the wrong memory location, and is identical to the value for the current stage (0'55"25 and 0'00"25) instead of the previous one:

Name:  Stage 2C.jpg
Size:  51.8 KB

Stage 2 Lap Times

55.34 (actual)
    55.25 (incorrect)
  7. 12-28-2019, 07:15 AM
    Stage 3

The actual lap time for Stage 3 is 56.06 seconds, one frame before the timer resets (see below):

Name:  Stage 3A.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  49.1 KB

The timer resets to 0.01 seconds on the following frame (beginning of Stage 4):

Name:  Stage 3B.jpg
Size:  49.4 KB

On the frame where the Stage 3 lap summary first appears, the value is incorrect. The hundredths of a second has been retrieved from the wrong memory location, and is identical to the value for the current stage (0'56"25 and 0'00"25) instead of the previous one:

Name:  Stage 3C.jpg
Size:  46.5 KB

Stage 3 Lap Times

56.06 (actual)
    56.25 (incorrect)
  8. 12-28-2019, 07:22 AM
    Stage 4

The actual lap time for Stage 4 is 54.71 seconds, one frame before the timer resets (see below):

Name:  Stage 4A.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB

The timer resets to 0.01 seconds on the following frame (beginning of Stage 5):

Name:  Stage 4B.jpg
Size:  54.1 KB

On the frame where the Stage 4 lap summary first appears, the value is incorrect. The hundredths of a second has been retrieved from the wrong memory location, and is identical to the value for the current stage (0'54"18 and 0'00"18) instead of the previous one:

Name:  Stage 4C.jpg
Size:  50.3 KB

Stage 4 Lap Times

54.71 (actual)
    54.18 (incorrect)
  9. 12-28-2019, 11:22 AM
    Can i just clarify that it seen as ok to exploit various parts of the game code that have floors to obtain a better time. i.e. the Gear Gatcha at the start?
    I have been playing OutRun for many a year and everyone that I have know see's it as cheating.
    Given the fact that it has been submitted for a World Record, I would be interested to see what everyone here thinks.
  10. 12-28-2019, 12:32 PM
    Can i just clarify that it seen as ok to exploit various parts of the game code that have floors to obtain a better time. i.e. the Gear Gatcha at the start?
    I have been playing OutRun for many a year and everyone that I have know see's it as cheating.
    Given the fact that it has been submitted for a World Record, I would be interested to see what everyone here thinks.

In my opinion, the boost start (accelerating quickly to 293 km/hr) is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand, the offroad trick, which allows the player to drive partially or completely off the road without losing speed, should be strictly prohibited.

The gear gacha technique is not explicitly addressed in the rules, but it should be.

I discussed this topic (via PM) with Robert Mruczek 2 or 3 years ago, and I welcome his input on the matter.

@RTM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us