Dispute: Dick Moreland - Atari 2600 / VCS - Asteroids - EMU - Game 32, Difficulty A - 15-Minute Time Limit (Points) - Player: Rodrigo Lopes - Score: 111,390

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. Dispute: Dick Moreland - Atari 2600 / VCS - Asteroids - EMU - Game 32, Difficulty A - 15-Minute Time Limit (Points) - Player: Rodrigo Lopes - Score: 111,390

11-13-2019, 02:27 PM
    Atari 2600 / VCS - Asteroids - EMU - Game 32, Difficulty A - 15-Minute Time Limit (Points)
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=23638
    Rules
    Players have a time limit of 15 minutes.
    Difficulty switch must be set to A position (this is the harder difficulty).
    Any other settings should remain default upon boot-up.
    Player Name
    Rodrigo Lopes
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    DVD
    Verification Date
    2006-09-03
    Disputed Score
    111,390 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    D.B. Cooper
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    I don't have any technical proof yet on this score but as an Asteroids expert I promise you this score is not possible in 15 minutes. Look at the original hardware scores and ask yourself, is Rodgrigo better at this game than Frankie? That much better? The answer to both is no. I have also put a lot of time into this game and know with 100% certainty that this score is not possible.

Like with other disputes on this gamers score, I'm opening this with the hope that others with more technical expertise than me can prove this so that TG removes this score. I also want to make sure this score shows as disputed so future gamers who see this know that at least one person knows this isn't possible.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Marcade, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM
    @stonic scott stilphen is an expert on all things atari and banned rodrigo from his site so theres a chance he might help if anyone reaches out to him. www.ataricompendium.com. Scott complained about todd and ron's scores LONG before anyone disputed them and took a lot of heat for going against popular refs, so this isnt some guy just jumping on the band wagon, he spoke up on fake atari scores before it was cool.
  3. 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM
    I see that this game was verified right around the same time his currently disputed Zelda run was.
    Thanks Lauren Tyler thanked this post
    Likes Marcade, starcrytas, datagod liked this post
  4. 11-13-2019, 03:33 PM
    I would back this dispute all the way. ACCEPT!

I play this game often, and on all 33 of the 1 player games. #32 IS THE HARDEST, as it does NOT seem possible to get THAT high of the score within 15 min. on fast speed, diff A (UFO's), and under no extra lives settings. Unless of course, you manipulate play via freezing the game, and/or slow down the frame rate play speed to say 30-40, when 50 FPS was once the global setting on EMU "back in its day".

Who knows which corrupt ref verified this one. I have yet another strong hunch who. (Hint: Someone who thinks there are no differences between NTSC and PAL and owns a broken Timex watch)
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  5. 11-13-2019, 03:39 PM
    Some analysis of what it would take to get this score would be appreciated.
    Like, points per screen and how the game may get harder over time.
    Likes Marcade, datagod liked this post
  6. 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    @stonic scott stilphen is an expert on all things atari and banned rodrigo from his site so theres a chance he might help if anyone reaches out to him. www.ataricompendium.com. Scott complained about todd and ron's scores LONG before anyone disputed them and took a lot of heat for going against popular refs, so this isnt some guy just jumping on the band wagon, he spoke up on fake atari scores before it was cool.
    I concur... Scott was an asset to TG, calls out wrongdoings as he saw them, and knows the "ins and outs" of Atari 2600 games, eg. how they play, and the glitches and cheat methods that some games contain within. His personal "ban list" says it all, eh?

http://www.ataricompendium.com/game_...gh_scores.html
    Likes datagod liked this post
  7. 11-14-2019, 11:25 AM
    Reached out to Scott Stilphen

Name:  image.png
Views: 113
Size:  171.5 KB
    Thanks Snowflake, D.B. Cooper, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  8. 11-14-2019, 09:06 PM
    For those interested in examining further, I did learn that the Wayback Machine has snapshots of Lopes' Atari scores for titles beginning with "A". There's a snapshot for March 2006, and the next one is from October 2007. The key benchmark is September 2006, when TG started to separate EMU from NTSC and PAL scores.

The links below:

March 2006
    Name:  March2006.png
Views: 124
Size:  130.8 KB
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060327...x?c=22&p=31822

October 2007
    Name:  October2007.png
Views: 123
Size:  154.4 KB
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071027...x?c=22&p=31822

I randomly checked a few scores on the October 2007 snapshot, and his new high scores including the Asteroids achievement were verified on September 2nd or 3rd 2006 on DVD, which suggests that they were at least submitted together at the time the track separations were taking place.

In comparing the two snapshots, it's apparent that Lopes submitted a host of new EMU world records between March and September 2006. Usually clicking on a March score in the archive brings you to a snapshot of the track that was taken after September 2006 bearing the updated high score, illustrating that the previous score was superseded.
    Thanks starcrytas, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes datagod, JJT_Defender liked this post
  9. 11-14-2019, 09:17 PM
    Side by side - should have posted this first. Majority of the changes occur when his lower placed scores in the mixed track get bumped into first place with the EMU only tracks.

Name:  MarchOct.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  204.3 KB
    Thanks starcrytas, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  10. 11-14-2019, 10:58 PM
    Sorry for the non-Asteroids content - maybe someone could double check for me, but

Alligator People (Fox prototype) for the Atari 2600 scores in increments of 5 points. Thus, both scores of either 72,169 or 1,111,903 would appear to be invalid. There's a thread where Mr. Kelly R. Flewin announced the 72,169 score.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...-Rodrigo-Lopes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us