Is this a valid score?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 5200 - Zone Ranger - Points - 11,481 - Roger 111

11-17-2019, 08:47 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3047
    Rules
    Players must use the game's default settings upon boot-up.
    Submission Message

Hardware/Settings in beginning, attempt at 5:40.
    Came up short, hoping subbing my new best will cause me to take a break from it(not sure on that...).
    New collection addition, quite proud, mebbe my favorite game where I have to shoot at stuff.
    There's a squared grid of 16 sattelites floating thru space, objective is to destroy them all to move to the next level. Red beams kill you, green ones don't.
    Sonic Sparklers grant temporary invincibility.
    Portals allow you to warp around space, but you really don't know where you go, orientation is difficult in this game.
    The Super Portal allows you to enter the Inner Sanctum-time slows down, and you collect dots-blue moving platforms are safe, pink ones kill you.

When you leave the Inner Sanctum, the Skyway Patrol will attempt to touch you-it then goes and destroys a sattelite for each dot you got,

I've gotten almost 10k playing thru levels, but entering the 7th Dimension seems to be the only way to score big.
    Blew the game, really...
    Thanks Everyone!!!

2. 11-17-2019, 11:20 AM
    Great run on a very tough looking cart!! Accepted!
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  3. 11-17-2019, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Larocque View Post
    Great run on a very tough looking cart!! Accepted!
    It's actually not as tough as this looks, from the start-
    I'm entering that portal in the first wave that takes me to the seventh level, the "Seventh Dimension", to the point where the game gets stupid hard, so that's all you are actually getting to see.

I got 9,900 something points completing levels(probably how the 4th place and lower scores were achieved), and was only on level 5 or so-you get 7500 points for warping to the seventh level, but it seems that if you can play through levels to get there, you're score will be higher.

On the first few levels you don't have enemy chasers, there are much fewer rocks, and the Sattelite shots aren't as aggressive-also there are no "dangerous" places in the Inner Sanctum.

So going thru that portal is like switching to difficulty "A".
    On Kaboom!.
    :P

It really is a fun game, is on Atari PC's of the time, as well.
    Lack of outgoing PM's lately=Seasonal Affective Disorder, lasts a couple weeks.
    Winter sucks.
    Thanks Pat Larocque thanked this post
    Likes Pat Larocque liked this post
  4. 11-19-2019, 10:04 AM
    Good game Roger.
    Zone Ranger is one tough cookie.
    salamandermike
  5. 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamandermike View Post
    Good game Roger.
    Zone Ranger is one tough cookie.
    I don't know, it has almost nothing in common to games I usually prefer, and I AM bad to whine that some games are "too hard", but I just really dig this game-too hard for it's own good, but it's great!

Isn't a "right now" priority, but if/when I do try to shoot for your score, I'll try to work thru the levels-they get really tough at 4 and 5, but like I said in the sub message, you can have about 10k by then, so that may be the way to go!

I am, BTW, doing the HSC at AA, 2600, but other than that I am sorta "back on" the 5200-picked up a pretty nice deal at AA on several boxed and a few loose games, my 5200 stuff actually looks like a "collection" now, instead of a small stack of games, haha!

No particular targets or goals(just improved my HERO score, for no "status upgrade" except the Patch!), it just kinda happened, prolly seeing/working out that deal, but I'm glad to be back!!!

Value, to me, is "interesting", and I think the boxed/complete Zone Ranger is one of my neatest things!

Thanks!!!
    Winter sucks.
  6. 11-20-2019, 06:31 AM
    I was watching your reflection in the TV as you were playing......Your body-english was pretty damn funny, dude! LOL

Great score............Accepted!
  7. 11-20-2019, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
    I was watching your reflection in the TV as you were playing......Your body-english was pretty damn funny, dude! LOL

Great score............Accepted!
    People tease me when I play guitar-"Dude, you are moving your whole body, do you NEED to do that?".

Yes. Yes I do.
    :)

Thanks!
    Winter sucks.
    Likes RaGe liked this post
Join us