This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 5200 - Kaboom! - Points - 2,645 - Roger 111

11-20-2019, 10:28 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=5056
    Rules
    One Player game.
    This game has no other settings for the player to select, therefore no specific rules apply. Please use default settings.
    Submission Message

Hardware/Settings in beginning, attempt at 14:45.
    Yay!!!
    2400 for the Patch score using the joystick, which really seemed like a stupid thing to have committed myself to after a few hours, lol, but finally nipped it!
    Seriously, this is ridiculously difficult on 5200, but it does look nice!

Thanks Everyone!!!

Thanks Almighty Dreadlock thanked this post
    Likes Pat Larocque, Marcade, GregDeg liked this post
  2. 11-20-2019, 01:24 PM
    Well done, accepted.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  3. 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
    Very impressive to achieve this with no paddles!! Congrats Roger!
    Accepted!!
  4. 11-20-2019, 02:50 PM
    what, you couldnt catch more balloons?

seriously though, this game is hella hard with that controller. i tried, it was not fun. i dont think anyone's maxing this one out.
  5. 11-20-2019, 02:53 PM
    lol my bad, i see douglas did. very impressive. that guy has a lot of great scores.
  6. 11-20-2019, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    lol my bad, i see douglas did. very impressive. that guy has a lot of great scores.
    Believe it or not, his strategy is explained over at the Compendium, attributed to him, and seems solid to me.
    I think what you were saying about the trackball, it probably makes a big difference!

Did you know, tho-
    There was a limited run, like, a hundred, of a 5200 controller with a paddle wheel in place of the stick?

Yes, this was really horrendous, lol, but fun, if there hadn't been a patch at stake, I would not have bothered!!!

Thanks!!!
    Lack of outgoing PM's lately=Seasonal Affective Disorder, lasts a couple weeks.
    Winter sucks.
  7. 11-20-2019, 03:09 PM
    that makes sense. i've opened the atari 5200 controller. creative designer. two potentiometers (paddles use 1 potentiometer), and a creative series of plastic plates to make sure the right potentiometer moves the right way. the plates are strictly mechanical, you could replace them with would or whatever as long as the shape was right. kinda brilliant actually.

anyway, i bet it would be hard to make a frankenstein controller where you hook up the atari 2600 paddle to the 5200 controller. probably no soldering or anything, just a mechanical hack job is probably possible.
  8. 11-20-2019, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    that makes sense. i've opened the atari 5200 controller. creative designer. two potentiometers (paddles use 1 potentiometer), and a creative series of plastic plates to make sure the right potentiometer moves the right way. the plates are strictly mechanical, you could replace them with would or whatever as long as the shape was right. kinda brilliant actually.

anyway, i bet it would be hard to make a frankenstein controller where you hook up the atari 2600 paddle to the 5200 controller. probably no soldering or anything, just a mechanical hack job is probably possible.
    Pretty sure the 2600 paddles will work on the 5200, with a WICO Y-adaptor, but don't quote me on it, I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, the inside of the controller is one of the craziest things I've ever seen, the two sliding "notches" that actually control everything, it just looks sooo fragile, but interesting!
    Lack of outgoing PM's lately=Seasonal Affective Disorder, lasts a couple weeks.
    Winter sucks.
  9. 11-24-2019, 02:43 AM
    Fast as he.. - great score / accepted!
  10. 11-24-2019, 05:12 AM
    Great score playing with the dreaded 5200 joystick… Accepted!!!

Patch me up as you say…

Name:  Kaboom_patch_5200.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  37.4 KB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us