Dispute: Matthew Felix - Atari 2600 / VCS - Guardian [Apollo, Inc] - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - Player: Rudy J. Ferretti - Score: 105,038

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Dispute: Matthew Felix - Atari 2600 / VCS - Guardian [Apollo, Inc] - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - Player: Rudy J. Ferretti - Score: 105,038

11-24-2019, 03:36 PM
    Atari 2600 / VCS - Guardian [Apollo, Inc] - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=7357
    Rules
    Default Settings
    Player Name
    Rudy J. Ferretti
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    Video
    Verification Date
    2006-03-10
    Disputed Score
    105,038 (Rank 3)
    Disputed By
    starcrytas
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    This score was announced as an Alligator People score
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...Rudy-Ferretti-

But then this score was moved to Guardian.

In a Facebook live stream, Rudy shows the cartridge he used for the Alligator People submission, but when selecting Alligator People, the game is actually Planet of the Apes.

https://www.facebook.com/rudyferrett...474243/?type=3

Incorrect ROM name.

This score should be removed.
  2. 11-24-2019, 10:17 PM
    Voting yes for removal.
  3. 11-25-2019, 12:13 AM
    on rare occasion scores get moved and not deleted. should this be one of those rare occasions?
  4. 11-25-2019, 05:01 AM
    If there were some sort of evidence that the game was even played, I would be willing to support a move rather than a removal. Have you been able to track down any gameplay of his on this title? The FB Live video was just a ROM cart demo.
  5. 11-25-2019, 07:59 AM
    maybe i've misunderstood the challenge then so i apologize if i'm putting words into peoples mouths or misunderstanding, but that comes off as contradictory. You cant simultaneously challenge the score on the basis a different game was played while simultaneously claiming no game was played. Is the challenge this was never played? if so what evidence? is the challenge this was a different game? if so moving makes sense. i guess if it can be shown this particular game wasnt played, but its just unknown which game was made removal makes sense after a best effort was made to determine the game.
  6. 11-25-2019, 08:37 AM
    Those are fair questions. In short, I would never start a new dispute on a sub that is already under dispute for a different reason, so to me personally, the "why" in the dispute claim is irrelevant when I have other reasons to support removal.
  7. 11-25-2019, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    on rare occasion scores get moved and not deleted. should this be one of those rare occasions?
    There are several reasons why I think a straight removal should be the outcome in this case. The original announcement of this score was cited as an Alligator People title. But both Guardian and Alligator People don't increase in score by single point increments. As Starcrytas pointed out, the original submission is most likely the result of a mislabelled ROM, as up until 2002 the Alligator People ROM that circulated on-line was confirmed to be actually Planet of the Apes; the true Alligator People ROM was discovered about a year later, and from 2003 forward, the ROMs were relabelled and correctly tracked. However, it's very possible that some mislabelled ROMs continued to circulate. I provided links in the dispute review of the Alligator People submission from Rodrigo Lopes, which was approved.

Planet of the Apes is a prototype, believed to be about 70% complete. Conversely, Alligator People is basically complete, but wasn't released due to the changing landscape of gaming in the early 1980s. While presumably any track can be funded today, I believe historically that Twin Galaxies shied away from tracking incomplete games. At minimum, a Planet of the Apes track didn't exist at the time of original submission, and it still isn't tracked today.

There are at least 2 known Planet of the Apes ROMs for this game, possibly three. There are sufficient differences between the first two ROMs that identifying which ROM is being played is relevant for designing a track, along with the associated rule set.

In light of the above, a straight removal remains in keeping with the purpose of the dispute review. If Rudy feels strongly about tracking a score on this title, then in the future he would be free to re-submit his original game or simply submit a new game submission once a track is funded with the desired ROM and applicable ruleset.
    Thanks starcrytas thanked this post
  8. 11-26-2019, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    In light of the above, a straight removal remains in keeping with the purpose of the dispute review. If Rudy feels strongly about tracking a score on this title, then in the future he would be free to re-submit his original game or simply submit a new game submission once a track is funded with the desired ROM and applicable ruleset.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's been banned from Twin Galaxies.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
Join us