Oldest Standing Records

1. Oldest Standing Records

12-10-2019, 09:28 AM
    I was curious about which are the oldest records on here that are still standing. A while back I spent some time putting together a wiki page for it (https://www.twingalaxies.com/wiki_in...anding-Records), but I suspect few know - and I'm sure some of you are aware of some nice, old records on here that have yet to be beaten.

So what are the oldest ones people here know of? Are there any of those old ones that are very questionable? Which ones most need to be beaten?
    Likes SincerelyFranny liked this post
  2. 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM
    The 2 oldest console records have been successfully disputed and removed :)
    Thanks GibGirl thanked this post
  3. 12-10-2019, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    So what are the oldest ones people here know of? Are there any of those old ones that are very questionable? Which ones most need to be beaten?

RTM REPLY - as far as arcade scores go, a decent starting point is here...although not updated since this post a lot of research work has already been done...go to post 163 and scroll down to "Appendix II"

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...hampions/page7
    Thanks GibGirl thanked this post
    Likes Barra liked this post
  4. 12-10-2019, 08:32 PM
    As far as console-based scores it's hard to tell.

All Atari/Intellivision-based scores potentially have an incorrect date as they were imported from an off-site database. There were scores existing pre-2000 but there is no way to know how many from the import are still standing.

I recommend starting with the 1st TG Book of Records as there were many from the 1997 and prior range contained within those pages.

However, without a doubt, there is one single score which is THE oldest unbeaten record. Within the 2nd TG Book of Records in the novelty section there exists a score from the 1935-1936 range which TG at the time chose to recognize as part of Walter's then-mission to make TG the end-all/be-all repository of game scores both past, present and future. He came upon evidence of this score being set and chose to carry it into that book. Whether it was entered into the TG database I have no idea.
  5. 12-11-2019, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - as far as arcade scores go, a decent starting point is here...although not updated since this post a lot of research work has already been done...go to post 163 and scroll down to "Appendix II"

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...hampions/page7
    That was quite useful! It seems that we've now got a score on Radar Scope as the oldest record on this site.... set as of 1982-03-10. Gonna take work for someone to find a Radar Scope machine to beat it. :)
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 12-11-2019, 07:51 PM
    Colecovision Choplifter can be beaten as there are 64 possible to be rescued. Someone get me a Colecovision and this game so I can go after such a prestigious record. ;p Maybe I could even try to take on Frontline as well while we are at it. At 100 points per enemy defeated, I am sure that so long as there is no 'excessive leeching' done then I would be able to take that one down as well. (Sorry, I just cannot get over that nonsensical addition to the Contra 3 rules. Especially when the term 'excessive' is never defined in any way.)

I think Zaxxon is another score that basically just needs to have someone sit there long enough to take it down. I do not recall having the game stop after a certain number of stages. However there was a rule at the battle of the arcades that I took part in (the first two) that the game could only be played for a single hour. Otherwise someone like Donald Hayes as an example, could sit there the whole day and play the game on a single credit.

Pac-Man on the Namco Museum seems like a fairly weak score compared to the max out score of the arcade being 3 million plus. Maybe there is something I do not know about that game on the museum collection that makes it more difficult?
  7. 12-18-2019, 12:51 PM
    Wes Hupp's Cosmic Avenger (Arcade) record at 117,290 is not far behind at 17 November 1982. For whatever reason, the current arcade track only lists his score when the Twin Galaxies International Scoreboard also tracked a score achieved by Robby Jenson on 28 November 1982 at 51,690.

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-top5.htm

Like many early titles, Cosmic Avenger is a low-scoring affair so the score itself is a bit deceiving in terms of effort to achieve. I have a Cosmic Avenger arcade machine in the game room, so I'd like to see what's possible - I think my PR was north of 56,000, so there's still a way to go.
  8. 12-23-2019, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    Wes Hupp's Cosmic Avenger (Arcade) record at 117,290 is not far behind at 17 November 1982

RTM REPLY - I recently discussed this title/score with famed arcade gamer Michael Sao Pedro. He's very good at the title and believes the TG record is not only for real but that it is beatable. It would be simply amazing for someone to turn in a 100K+ score on this ultra hard title, never mind a new WR after several decades !!
Join us