12-16-2019, 09:06 PM
    Vzaar Video Url:

NTSC - Firetrap
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=2109
    Rules
    Default Settings
    Submission Message
    Alright, breaking in my AV modded 7800 for my first direct feed Atari 2600 game submission!
    Hardware and Supercharger load shown at beginning. Close-up of AV mod on the side of the console at the end. As shown sort of sloppily, using an extension cable for the paddle controllers. because the cables for everything aren't quite long enough to let me sit at my desk comfortably otherwise.
    Attempt start at 21:45.
    Final life lost at 34:50, followed by counting up a few thousand points to push me just over the record!
    Now to go rest my hands after the cramps this game gave them...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks Almighty Dreadlock thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland, LFS, Pat Larocque liked this post
  2. 12-17-2019, 12:57 PM
    Umm... wow. I JUST noticed in this that for some reason, only half (?) of the balls showed up in the direct feed. They're all still there - look at the TV in the background behind me and you can see them, and me going and catching them.

This is strange, and I'll have to investigate further to try and figure out what's happening. Perhaps it's a frame rate recording thing - OBS is set to record/stream at 30 fps, and if the game was only drawing 3 balls per frame, that would do it. And 3 balls per frame would make sense, with the sprite capabilities of the Atari... I'll probably need to re-evaluate how I record Atari 2600 games direct feed.
    Thanks Garrett Holland, LFS thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 12-17-2019, 06:48 PM
    I had the same thing happen with enemies when I would direct feed the NES. One of the reasons I stopped using direct feed...that and the need to show boot up and console... I think it was my Abadox submission. I could see them, of course the capture card didn't. Don't think you can do anything about it, but I could be wrong.
  4. 12-24-2019, 12:22 PM
    Perhaps the Atari is using an interlaced setup and draws the first half of the balls in one update and the second batch of balls in the second run. Your grabber is only seeing one of the screen updates, regardless of your 30 FPS setup.

A lot of scalers / grabbers is using frames but others works on individual scanlines and this game twist the Atari to the limit so you need a scan line scaler / grabber to see the “complete picture”
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  5. 12-25-2019, 02:36 AM
    I run into the same issue when using certain deinterlacing options on OBS Studio.
    On OBS, in the Sources section, right click onto your capture device to find the "Deinterlacing" menu.

In my case, Blend works well for VCS titles. Retro works when looking through OBS' Preview, but some services such as Youtube won't render the video as intended.

Asteroids: I usually use this game to test deinterlacing on the VCS. Notice the 4 asteroids at the beginning of each video.
    Blend-

Retro-
    (Here, due to Youtube's compression, the asteroids are sometimes invisible)

Fireball using Blend-
    Notice the 4 balls outside of both circles and both within.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
Join us