Guinness and Twin Galaxies submission question.

1. Guinness and Twin Galaxies submission question.

12-17-2019, 07:27 AM
    Hi there. Sorry if this question is answered somewhere else but I've not found it. If that's the case, if would be nice if someone could kindly link me.

I was just wondering how the submissions work between here and Guinness World Records? I've found where you submit, so that's not what I mean. As in, are all records counted or only certain ones? Once the submission is accepted can you get a Guinness World Record certificate? If so, what is the process for this?

The reason I ask is because in the link below there are only a few games listed and I'd quite like to give some other, non-modern (sometimes obscure) games a go.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...twin-galaxies/

2. 12-18-2019, 10:29 AM
    Perhaps @Jace Hall (not sure if tagging works in the forum) could weigh in, but based on my recollection of past discussions about the topic:

Guinness is basically free to "pick and choose" from anything they wish on the TG leaderboard - it's at their discretion. I was reviewing the latest Guinness Gamer's Edition 2020, and there's a section devoted to "Classic" (can't remember the exact title) where a few TG records are cited.

In the past, achieving a TG record entitled the individual receive recognition in the form of a TG certificate; recently, the TG certificate process was suspended but hopefully we will see it again soon. Guinness recognition and the GWR certificate was at Guinness' discretion.

If you were interested in receiving Guinness recognition for a specific title on the TG scoreboard, I would visit the GWR website to learn more about their process

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...break-a-record

My own "reading" of Guinness is that they're often interested in recognizing "milestones" or aspects of gaming that don't focus on performance per se. See examples here:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...howcase/gaming

Where they do recognize performance, Guinness is overtly interested in speedrunning rather than score chasing as a category. See their write up here and their partnership with Speedrun.com:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...vourite-586232

In the past, Guinness has referenced a partnership with TG, and they did create some tracks here for GWR purposes, but that dialogue seemed to lose steam, and for all intents and purposes, the "partnership" now is purely passive - Guinness can come in and recognize any TG achievement, but there isn't a formal partnership like with Speedrun.com

That said, unless you're interested in speedruns as well, focus on achieving high scores on your favourite titles here on the TG leaderboard as a first step! :)
    Last edited by The Evener; 12-18-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Thanks Jace Hall thanked this post
    Likes TBT__TheBigToe, Snowflake liked this post
  3. 12-18-2019, 10:51 PM
    between the tracks you reference and the eveners response, thats pretty much everything, but closely related i'd add a few points

If certificates are important to you, TwinGalaxies did at one point offer certificates, but there were issues with them and they were discontinued, but its my understanding they intend to someday return them so maybe periodically check in on that

also, thank you for your wording. believing it or not, theres some ugly semantics and grey area over the meaning of "guiness world record". obvioulsy records printed in their book count. but what about records not printed in their book, considering they're regard tg as a partner/official source (notice i said "a" not "the", not trying to slight other sources here) one could argue all tg records are guiness records, and finally the third definition, the thing you asked for, is it possible to get a certificate.

we did have a member who managed to get a guiness certificate for a tg record. i think it was a bit of a process that took him some time as i recall but it was succesful, i'm sorry that i cant remember his name.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  4. 12-19-2019, 09:30 PM
    If you achieved a record on one of the GWR tracks then you are entitled to a complimentary guinness certificate, any other records you'll have to pay for the certificates...the records of the TG guinness challenges are on the guinness website too
    Thanks smertleg thanked this post
  5. 12-20-2019, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    between the tracks you reference and the eveners response, thats pretty much everything, but closely related i'd add a few points

If certificates are important to you, TwinGalaxies did at one point offer certificates, but there were issues with them and they were discontinued, but its my understanding they intend to someday return them so maybe periodically check in on that

Yes, important, but, for starters, you need to be sure of these certificates.
  6. 12-22-2019, 01:43 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I get it a bit better now. I'll look over the links posted and give it some thought :)
Join us