NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Stinger - NTSC - Points - 10,311,600 - Kevin Stabinsky

Is this Performance Claim valid?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. 01-27-2020, 07:11 AM
    The two main problems with not showing a console like the NES are, possible emulation and Game Genie usage. The still image is "ok" evidence for the console. But the GG issue, since the recording starts at the title screen. Anyone not familiar with Game Genies - When you boot up a console with a GG inserted, you're given a screen to enter codes before the game starts. If he had booted up on video, we'd know no codes were entered. Besides the codes that the company provides, there are all kinds of codes that can be created. For me, this is kind of a biggy to look past.
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  2. 01-27-2020, 09:05 AM
    Direct capture is great ... until it isn't due to past abuse. I see no indication that this player did anything unethical, however, an unethical person who used an emulator/GG would see this sub if accepted and then use it and its acceptance as an excuse to whine about objections for their run ... and *that* is a rabbit hole I wouldn't want to venture down.
    Likes nurtuo liked this post
  3. 01-27-2020, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
    The two main problems with not showing a console like the NES are, possible emulation and Game Genie usage. The still image is "ok" evidence for the console. But the GG issue, since the recording starts at the title screen. Anyone not familiar with Game Genies - When you boot up a console with a GG inserted, you're given a screen to enter codes before the game starts. If he had booted up on video, we'd know no codes were entered. Besides the codes that the company provides, there are all kinds of codes that can be created. For me, this is kind of a biggy to look past.
    Right, but this is part of the reason we watch and evaluate the submission video - to not only make sure the submitter is following the rules and gets the score they claim, but that there's nothing strange or unusual in their performance. Use of a Game Genie is going to leave indications in the video, one way or another.

As far as an emulator goes, if someone's willing to pipe their emulator output through composite video to fake it being from a console, they're probably willing to take a few more steps to make it look like it's legit hardware in a video. We'd have to watch for indications in the game itself.

I just don't think this game is mainstream enough to be extra strict from the beginning. Give feedback for future submissions, give this one thorough scrutiny, and if we get the necessary photos of the hardware uploaded and the video looks good, I'd accept it.
    Join the UNOFFICIAL Twin Galaxies Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/7PfNNDk
    Thanks nurtuo thanked this post
    Likes nurtuo, RaGe liked this post
  4. 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    Direct capture is great ... until it isn't due to past abuse. I see no indication that this player did anything unethical, however, an unethical person who used an emulator/GG would see this sub if accepted and then use it and its acceptance as an excuse to whine about objections for their run ... and *that* is a rabbit hole I wouldn't want to venture down.
    Hopefully, soon we'll have new users getting much better information about what is expected in their submissions, and don't have to worry about dancing at the edges like this.

In the meantime, I'm willing to be more lenient for the first submission for a new user, depending on the combination of the game they've submitted for and their performance, as we guide them into what we want to see in the future. A substantial percentage of new users never come back to check on their submissions anyway - I'd like to help encourage those that do that they're wanted and welcomed, even if it means taking a small risk on their submission.
    Join the UNOFFICIAL Twin Galaxies Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/7PfNNDk
    Thanks Garrett Holland, nurtuo thanked this post
    Likes nurtuo liked this post
  5. 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    Right, but this is part of the reason we watch and evaluate the submission video - to not only make sure the submitter is following the rules and gets the score they claim, but that there's nothing strange or unusual in their performance. Use of a Game Genie is going to leave indications in the video, one way or another.

As far as an emulator goes, if someone's willing to pipe their emulator output through composite video to fake it being from a console, they're probably willing to take a few more steps to make it look like it's legit hardware in a video. We'd have to watch for indications in the game itself.

I just don't think this game is mainstream enough to be extra strict from the beginning. Give feedback for future submissions, give this one thorough scrutiny, and if we get the necessary photos of the hardware uploaded and the video looks good, I'd accept it.
    I hear ya. I watched about 5 minutes of his game this morning. I had looked up the GG manufacture codes beforehand to see if any were used. All clear. The thing that concerns me, is user-created codes. If someone were to create and use one, it wouldn't be something obvious, like the manufacture codes are. For example, would any of us notice a slight boost in the ships firing rate? I own the game, and I wouldn't catch something like that without getting very technical.

Anyway, you're right, this game isn't mainstream enough to go crazy over. Something like SMB, I'd have to stick to my guns. Btw, this is another example of something that should be front-and-center in the Global Rules (wherever they are)..........."Start recording, then power up the console."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us