ATARI 2600 - $150 ACTIVISION RIVER RAID BOUNTIES

1. ATARI 2600 - $150 ACTIVISION RIVER RAID BOUNTIES

12-27-2019, 12:21 AM
    Spurred by TG forum discussions about the difficulty of achieving a million points on River Raid for the Atari 2600, the following bounties are offered to spur competition on this title and to answer these questions as well as to recognize the skill in accomplishing these feats.

Name:  river-raid-atari-2600-1982A.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  68.4 KB

There are two $75 bounties - both bounties can be claimed by the same player for a maximum claim of $150.

$75 Million Point Bounty
    TG documented a million point achievement on River Raid in 2002, which is the maximum score (displayed as six exclamation points) that can be achieved on this title and is also the moment that the game ends. However, over the proceeding 18 years the recording used to verify this milestone has never been made available to the gaming public. It is also believed that a full recording of a million point (non-TAS) game doesn't exist anywhere. Given community interest in witnessing a non-TAS million point recording of this feat, a $75 bounty is offered to the first player to submit a million point game for community review and entry into the TG database.

$75 Time Challenge Bounty
    Although a video recording of the 2002 score has not been viewed by the public, it was subsequently claimed that this score was achieved in a little over 3 hours. This timeframe has also generated lively community discussion. To settle lingering questions about this time, a $75 bounty is offered to the player that can achieve a million point game in 3 hours 15 minutes.

In order to claim the bounty, players can choose from three different platforms - an original Atari 2600 cartridge-based console, Emulator using Stella for the Atari 2600, and the Atari Flashback.

PLEASE NOTE: although the intent is to promote the widest participation possible, community experience with the Atari Flashback platform is limited. Therefore, if it is discovered upon evaluation of a Flashback submission that the gameplay is sufficiently different from console or EMU that it bestows an unfair advantage, the platform will be rescinded and the bounty restored for further competition.

Score Tracks

Atari 2600 Console
    Name:  Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set copy.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  134.8 KB
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/ri...ulty-b-points/

Stella - Atari 2600 Emulator
    Name:  stellariverraid.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  81.2 KB

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/ri...ulty-b-points/

Atari Flashback
    Name:  38867_l_1 copy.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  45.5 KB
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/ri...atariflashback

Fastest Completion Tracks (forthcoming)

RIVER RAID 'BOUNTY' RULES AND PROCEDURES

1) It is the intent of the challenge sponsor that only one (1) 'bounty' is to be paid per challenge. In the unlikely event of a tie, the monetary bounty shall be split evenly between the number of successful claimants achieving the same resultant score.

2) Score submissions must be fully recorded. For clarity, the submission video will provide a continuous recording of gameplay that starts before the game console is turned on and continue until after the gameplay is completed. The submission will include evidence of the gameplay settings used for the run and the console and cartridge (where applicable).

In the case of Stella emulator use, the gameplay must be fully recorded from beginning to end via external video camera. In practice, use of a direct capture of the game play in conjunction with external video of the gamer works well. Like with the consoles, the player will demonstrate the game play settings used for the run (eg. difficulty switches, cheats disabled, etc) and the loading of the game ROM. Display of FPS is recommended.

3) No usage of turbo controllers, cheat codes, Game Genie/Shark devices, or game enhancement devices of any kind are permitted.

4) All challenges are intended for single player performances only, and under no circumstances are 'continues' allowed after you have exhausted your supply of lives (initial and extra earned).

5) All submission materials are retained by Twin Galaxies for public access archival/verification purposes.

6) The River Raid bounty will expire at 11:59 PM (EST) on 31 July 2020, unless expressly extended in advance of the expiry date.

7) Anyone over the age of 13 is eligible to submit a successfully achieved 'bounty.'

8) All submissions will be uploaded to the Twin Galaxies Submission and Adjudication Process (TGSAP) to be adjudicated by Twin Galaxies verified members.

9) In order to submit to the TGSAP and claim the bounty, submitters will need to register with TG as a "verified user." For clarity, continued participation in the TG community after submission to the TGSAP for bounty purposes is purely voluntary.

10) It is the responsibility of the gamer to become familiar with applicable TG Guidelines:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/wiki_in...-TG-Guidelines

11) In the event of multiple submissions, the bounty will be awarded based on the earliest submission date that is successfully verified and formally entered onto the TG Scoreboard. Please note that because every adjudication is dynamic in terms of what it will specifically require from a voting participant calculation perspective (based on TG's back-end algorithms), it is theoretically possible that a late submission could be verified before an earlier submission. However, the earlier submission will be treated as the "de facto" bounty claimant with the prize awarded upon formal verification. In the event that an earlier submission is rejected by the TGSAP, the next earliest submitter will become the de facto bounty claimant.

12) All 'bounty' prizes shall be payable by bounty sponsors (identified in this thread) in the manner outlined by the sponsor. In reference to the $75 bounty for one million points and $75 Time Challenge bounty offered by me (The Evener), they shall be paid via PayPal in US funds to a registered PayPal account identified by the successful claimant.

Everyone is encouraged to pose further questions, share game play strategy, and otherwise discuss the ins and outs of River Raid action here.

Good luck, and game on!
    Last edited by The Evener; 12-27-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes sdwyer138, Garrett Holland liked this post
  2. 12-27-2019, 11:22 PM
    Though I seriously doubt that anyone would be so stupid and bold to challenge the verbiage here, just to be safe you wrote for the first "bounty" the following...

$75 Million Point Bounty

I suggest to clarify and add the word "for" in between so it read "$75 for the Million Point Bounty" or something to that effect.

BIG difference in how it reads !!
  3. 12-27-2019, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

$75 Million Point Bounty

I suggest to clarify and add the word "for" in between so it read "$75 for the Million Point Bounty" or something to that effect.

BIG difference in how it reads !!
    SPOIL SPORT.

john

4. 12-28-2019, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    how about INTV?
    do you remember if both Todd and Ron claimed an intellivision river raid max? With their scores removed I can’t remember
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
    Likes Lauren Tyler, Garrett Holland liked this post
  5. 12-30-2019, 08:07 PM
    In terms of INTV, we'll have to see how things go in light of latest developments --

Garrett got a million, and also might have claimed the time bounty as well?!

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...6=#post1064706

From my wall reply:

HO-LY CRAP!

After posting this bounty, I was pretty convinced it would take several weeks to fall, so I decided to take a "Christmas break" from TG. I was just surfing Twitter, and decided to see if word of the bounty filtered out of TG, so I keyword searched "River Raid," and a Retro with Marco episode popped up with Garrett's run - I nearly fell out of my bed!! Congrats my man. I'm heading over to the adjudication thread now. :)
    Thanks Garrett Holland, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland, JJT_Defender, RTM liked this post
  6. 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM
    And it's official!

Garrett's amazing River Raid submission has been verified:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...7=#post1064927

And in record time, Garrett has secured the $75 bounty for achieving 1 million points!

RTM generously contributed $50 towards this award, so a huge thank you to Robert for his continued support of gaming achievements. And to further sweeten the achievement, Snowflake generously put forward $50 worth of prized classic console games for Garrett as well on top of the cash amount.

To mark the occasion, I crafted my own certificate. Everyone will note that I'm not a graphic designer. :) If there are talented members of the community who would like to create a snazzier Bounty certificate that can be used for future bounty winners, please feel free to do so!

Congratulations Garrett - a well-deserved award!

Name:  My Post.png
Views: 30
Size:  1.18 MB
    Last edited by The Evener; 01-01-2020 at 07:16 AM.
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
  7. 12-31-2019, 08:48 PM
    I mentioned on my show last night (thanks for catching the replay!) that I counted 3 hours, 15 minutes, 49 seconds for Garrett's run. I based it on the start/stop times during my own editing for the segment. I'm sure using Avidemux would provide a more exact time.
    Likes The Evener liked this post
  8. 01-01-2020, 07:18 AM
    Thanks Marco! Officials are gathering to create a timed completion track for the title, and after that point they will be conferring with Garrett. :)
Join us