Looking For List Of Most Competitive Classic Arcade Games

1. Looking For List Of Most Competitive Classic Arcade Games

01-05-2020, 12:26 PM
    Hello,

I am looking for a list of most competitive classic arcade games (CAG). I know that Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Galaga are by far the most competitive games (Since they have their own websites and an active community), but after that, it seems that other CAG games either don't have much activity, or it is hard to search for a community, or maybe I am doing something wrong when searching for this.

For example, if I go to Speedrun.com, I can see, based on the number of players for each game, how active a game is (Super Mario 64 is the most active, with as of this count, over 2800 players, followed by Super Mario Odyssey, and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past, with over 2800 and 1500 players, respectively).

In terms of fighting games, I can get a gauge of how popular a community is for a game, based on the Evolution numbers (Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFight...final_numbers/ )

But this doesn't seem to be the case with CAG games. For example, the arcade version Cheeky Mouse has slightly more players than Pac-Man (68 to 66), despite Pac-Man being by far a more popular game in its heyday, but on closer inspection, it looks like there has only been 2 records in the last 8 years for the arcade version of Cheeky Mouse. Another game, like the arcade version of Pengo, shows 90 players, but on closer inspection, there has only been 1 record submitted in the 2010s, so using number of players isn't something that I would be able to go off of, to determine the a list of most competitive CAG games.

Is there anyone that can be of help, regarding this?

Thank you.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 01-17-2020, 08:55 AM
    Welcome SuperPlayer10 to Twin Galaxy. Questions to you
    1. What games are you good at &
    2. What is your favorite game to play?
    3. Which games that you like to compete in?
    4. Have you played the arcade racing game Fast the Furious Super Cars / Super Cars?

Contact the owner @Jace Hall or talk/PM the Twin Galaxy member players

Here are some
    1a. There are MAME Gaming League-> MGLXLII competition for years 4 contest a year, on 10 MAME games that players compete with other players mostly from Twin Galaxy.

You contact @ooo or @000 his name is Paul Hornitzky a great video game player, he runs I believe MGL

1. Streetfighter series
    2. Mortal Kombat series
    3. Mario Bro
    4. Zelda Series
    5. Super Mario Brothers games
    6. Donkey Kong arcade DKjr.
    7. Robotron
    8. Forza series
    9. TM Track Mania Nations/United
    10. Atari games
    11. Pac-Man type games
    12. Android games like Angry birds/ Hil climbing/ Candy Crush Saga
    13. Sonic games
    14. Fast and Furious Super Cars/ The Fast and the Furious Drift Tokyo, The Fast and the Furious
    15. Joust
    To name a Few games that come to mind
    Last edited by JJT_Defender; 01-17-2020 at 09:15 AM.
  3. 01-17-2020, 08:59 AM
    You can talk to @Jace.
    What is your name not your Twin Galaxy or video game handle?
    Are you from a gaming magazine?
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,803 Match Wins 49Cities
  4. 01-17-2020, 10:22 AM
    Juan, years back the following three classic console titles were extremely competitive...

Mario Kart 64
    F-ZeroX (N64)
    Goldeneye 64

Kevin Booth shared with me the MK64 community record spreadsheet and there were several hundred players. The FZX community had nearly 200, and Goldeneye took on a life of its own due to all the special challenges players created.

The Diablo 2 community a ultra competitive in terms of players striving to build the perfect PvP build per character type.

An old favourite title of mine, Heroes of Might and Magic (3DO) releases 2, 3 and 4 have a very strong following.

As for classic arcade you can likely cite the top three most competitive without even consulting the TG database...

Donkey Kong
    Ms Pacman
    Galaga

Pinball is tough to call but strong mainstay Addams Family Values is likely one such competitive title but there are so many cool modern era titles I wouldn't know for sure nowadays.
  5. 01-17-2020, 10:26 AM
    I should add competitive fighting games such as Marvel-vs-Capcom 2 and several other franchise titles (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, etc)...collectively these PvP titles have a huge following.

Looking at the overseas championships there are too many to mention, mostly on established franchise titles...I'm not up on these at all.
  6. 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM
    A few more to add for Juan.

The "Zelda" series, specifically the classic game and aLttP, are heavily competitive, but not as much as the original NES grand daddy of the speed run titles "Super Mario Brothers". There are a LOT of players gunning for the top time on this title, and in fact it is so competitive that whole second tracking was abandoned many years ago and now goes down 3-digits to the thousandth of a second. Now THAT'S competitive !!
  7. 01-17-2020, 05:41 PM
    I saw a post somewhat recently on FB (I think by Walter Day) about a bunch of Make Trax games being shipped to Iowa for a world championship on said game. I would suspect quite a few players practicing for that tournament.
    John Marks
    Jupiter, FL
Join us