Space Dungeon strats? (MAME)

1. Space Dungeon strats? (MAME)

01-07-2020, 03:21 PM
    Hi there!

I've developed a slight obsession with Space Dungeon and was hoping some of you had strats to share. Especially since there are a handful of threads that mention this game as marathon-able and I'm bewildered on how that's possible.

There's also the huge discrepancy between MAME and Arcade scores: the highest MAME score I've seen is ~400k on MARP and the top Arcade score here is ~15m from 35 years ago! That's an insane difference which makes me think that there are marathon strats lost to history or there's a mistake made somewhere. Is there any footage of someone marathon-ing Space Dungeon anywhere?

Thanks!
    Likes Barra liked this post
  2. 01-20-2020, 02:33 PM
    I would have responded earlier but couldn't open the thread, links or something were broken.

From my understanding a bug happens at 990k like it does in Defender and other games. The hard part is getting to that point, the way to do it is to not shoot all the enemies in a group. There is a swarm of enemies that keep growing until they hit somewhere around 10, well if you don't kill the last 1 in that group there will only always be 1 left. This way when you go into a new room there is a pause before the game starts populating the room and it will populate it with fewer enemies. You might even also be able to do this with all the enemy swarms.
    Likes Barra liked this post
  3. 01-21-2020, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redelf View Post
    I would have responded earlier but couldn't open the thread, links or something were broken.

From my understanding a bug happens at 990k like it does in Defender and other games. The hard part is getting to that point, the way to do it is to not shoot all the enemies in a group. There is a swarm of enemies that keep growing until they hit somewhere around 10, well if you don't kill the last 1 in that group there will only always be 1 left. This way when you go into a new room there is a pause before the game starts populating the room and it will populate it with fewer enemies. You might even also be able to do this with all the enemy swarms.
    Thanks for the reply and no worries, I thought this post was in purgatory forever as well!

The 990k bug is apparently real. I'm not that certain on the exploit of leaving one enemy alone being as explained though. Different enemies have different behaviors to this idea.

Pikers - There can only be 2 in a room at a time and their damaged shield remains damaged as they follow you to other rooms. Killing one will certainly have another spawn either immediately or in a few seconds. You can run a few rooms away from them to delay their arrival, but they will always arrive if you stay in a room for a few seconds.

Deathsquares - They start off at 1 per room. Once the Enforcer spawns, it's like a difficulty counter ticking up and at each tick an extra Deathsquare is added to unvisited rooms. Over time, there can be what seems like close to 10 Deathsquares appearing in previously unvisited rooms. If you kill the majority of the Deathsquares, leave one alive before leaving the room and then reenter that room, it will populated with the same amount of Deathsquares the first time you entered that room.

Thief - From my experience, it's best to ignore the thief and actively try to avoid shooting it. When shot, it drops all of its treasure in the room and up to 4 Guards will appear depending on how much treasure is dropped. On Depth 4 and up, the Guards will immediately start shooting at you with many projectiles and death is very likely.

Guard - They will usually appear in rooms with 3 or more treasure. From what I've seen, killing them eliminates them from that room even if the room is still littered with treasure. They might respawn given enough time though, I'm not sure, but it would take a while.

Executioner - These will continually chase you as you quickly move from room to room. They are the main enemy to deal with since they bee-line towards you when they appear and shoot projectiles at the same time. I tried to leave one alive in a room and continue visiting rooms, but they do eventually respawn. If the 'one enemy' exploit was applicable, I thought it would be with these guys but it doesn't.

Enforcer - This will always respawn infinitely and immediately chases you. Once it spawns in Depth 1 and you kill it, it takes up to 4 or 5 seconds for it to respawn in the room you are in and usually in the farther half of the room. In Depth 6, it will continually respawn in less than a second after you kill it.

Spore Case - These will usually spawn at the beginning of a Depth and bob around the room waiting to get shot. Once shot, they shoot multiple projectiles towards you or towards where it predicts you to be if you're moving when it dies. They don't seem to respawn for a while when they are killed and they don't directly chase you down.

Corner Zappers - If you kill all 4 zappers in a room, they will not respawn. If you leave at least one zapper alive, all 4 will respawn when you revisit the room.

The best exploit I've found to marathon this game infinitely is to find a corner room with only one door. If you stay close to the door after clearing the room of enemies, the only thing that will respawn is the Enforcer. You could theoretically kill that respawning Enforcer over and over at 250 points each. It would take more than 24 hours, but I can see how this could get a player to over 15million points. It would be incredibly boring though!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes redelf, Barra liked this post
Join us