ColecoVision / Adam - Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - NTSC/PAL - Skill 4 - 170,900 - william rosa

Is this Performance Claim valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. ColecoVision / Adam - Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - NTSC/PAL - Skill 4 - 170,900 - william rosa

01-12-2020, 12:36 PM
    vzaar-player

NTSC/PAL - Skill 4
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=1137
    Rules
    This variation is for both NTSC and PAL as there is no diffference between the two on the ColecoVision Video Game Console.
    Submission Message
    so close @The Evener 's score yet so far

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  2. 01-13-2020, 07:25 AM
    The game and level that served as my first submission to TG!! Great choice, Snowflake. I was thinking that maybe we should hold a virtual "TG Smurf-a-thon" - we'd have at least 3 "level 4" players (you, me, Gibgirl) and with a little promotion, maybe we'd get a nice group together!

Accepted!
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  3. 01-13-2020, 07:29 AM
    And yes, even the run of the mightiest Smurf can come to an abrupt end when they trip over a small bump in the field.

I think we can develop some new strats - I liked how you did the "jump twice" to get the Smurf at the right rhythm to move through the course quickly at the upper end of your score when the Hawk is giving very little margin to pause (or the arrangement of the hills for that matter)
  4. 01-13-2020, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    The game and level that served as my first submission to TG!! Great choice, Snowflake. I was thinking that maybe we should hold a virtual "TG Smurf-a-thon" - we'd have at least 3 "level 4" players (you, me, Gibgirl) and with a little promotion, maybe we'd get a nice group together!

Accepted!
    Well, I do have this game sitting on my shelf, along with all I need to stream it... I'm getting the feeling I should start playing and practicing now!
    Likes The Evener, Snowflake liked this post
  5. 01-13-2020, 07:43 AM
    Voting yes
    Name:  image.png
Views: 33
Size:  831.1 KBName:  image.png
Views: 35
Size:  745.7 KB
    Final score is at :47 left on the video Name:  image.png
Views: 39
Size:  737.8 KB
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,803 Match Wins 49Cities
    Likes The Evener liked this post
  6. 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM
    thank you for the compliment @The Evener but that strategy is not mine, i got from wathcing current first place

Using my own strategies i could only make it to around 60k. Then i learned two tricks watching the top perfromance
    1. duck before a double jump. this helps ensure you paused long enough. omg, all the time i meant to just straight up once in prep for the double only to instead jump forward with a single jump and die was infuriating. the duck helps, and i learned this, not invent
    2. the damn bird. speed is key. after adopting tactic one above, there often wasnt enough time to make it the hill and jump on time without being head. knowing this, id have to just wait extra long, but that makes its own issues with the timer.

copying the above two tactics led to me immediately doubling my score. other things i learned

1. though i'm capable in the first castle of making a single jump over double spikes, thats very precise and risky. i noticed daneil double jumping them. to a noob this is riskier as you have to now exaclty how far your single jump will land you before the double, after playing a while though this is the easier way. and for a long game, i know i'll eventually screw up the single jump over the spikes, so i've adopted the double jump here

things to work on

There are some things that i know i dont know, but i also know i dont need to know them. since you can reset a level by leaving and coming back as long as therese just a few things you dont know how to deal with, thats fine, provided you know that you dont know how to deal with them
    1. on the first castle there is a single set up i can deal with. since its a single set up, no big deal, just reset the rng on it whenever it happens. i did watch daniel and find that that one set up requires you jump the bat instead of duck it. i dont like how precise that has to be. for a long game surely you'll mess it up a few times, i'm gonna stick with just avoiding that set up
    2. fields. there are many field set ups i can do. i believe as a matter of probabilty i can do enough, but there is no way my current method would ever max out level 4. even if i got consistent enough to avoid all stupid mistakes, i'd eventually have a string of unlucky set ups that i cant deal with. fortunatley level 4 score is low enough that my tactics (with consistency) i think can do it. but should daniel come back and push the score i'm screwed unless i learn more field patterns
    3. the fence daniel sometimes jumps the bird, i dont like that. so my time will never be as good as his
    4. i WILL be adding this, and this one i did realize on my own. the fences are a tight jump. its now clear to mei should start double jumping the fences to cut down on the occasiaon bad jump

and heck yeah, simlutaneous play is more fun. i hope giving away all "my" (not really my) secrets doesnt destroy the need for further conversations. i've said it a few times before, i only even bought coleco cause of smurf, i bought it about 15 years ago -- which i still consider recent in that it means i wasnt really playing it at the time. i do remember the time period and always wanted to play smurf if anyone i knew had a coleco.

and i read your submissoin. i kinda wish you kept your damaged cart. i know i know, when the system is current noone is gonna pay full price just for a misprint, still, all these years later it would be cool to see such a misprint. kinda sad video wasnt more common then and you dont have a recording of it. i wanna see flying smurf.
    Lode Runner Champion
  7. 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM
    Accepted!!
  8. 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM
    Looking good! Accepted!
Join us