01-19-2020, 12:23 PM
    Vzaar Video Url:

NTSC - Points
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=21500
    Rules
    Default Settings
    Submission Message
    Hardware etc at beginning. Only game on video with a final score of 45,520.

Parker Brothers originally developed Frogger for the European Videopac G7000; the European cartridge is in PAL format and won't function with North American televisions and Odyssey² consoles. However, the Brazilian TV standard is PAL-M, which is much closer to the North American standard, so Brazilian Frogger cartridges WILL function on American TVs! (Thanks to René van den Enden for this information.)

(REFERENCE LINK: https://www.the-nextlevel.com/odysse...me/frogger-240 )

So, NTSC scores in the database are really PAL-M (compatible with NTSC)...confusing, but important to note or highlight in the RULES section. It was NOT released in the US or "NTSC" version technically. Odyssey 2/VIdeopac history is really interesting to look into. It was more popular in Europe and Brazil, than the US it seems.

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes onlyinajeep, Barthax, Rogerpoco, RTM, RaGe liked this post
  2. 01-19-2020, 12:39 PM
    The first time I played this version it took an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you need to jump on the green area at the top :)
    Likes voodoo_chilly liked this post
  3. 01-19-2020, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyinajeep View Post
    The first time I played this version it took an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you need to jump on the green area at the top :)
    Same here!

If you watch European versions on YouTube, you jump in the blue area (like you SHOULD!). The European version title screen has "RECORD" instead of "RECORDE" for the high score.
    John Marks
    Jupiter, FL
    Likes onlyinajeep liked this post
  4. 01-19-2020, 01:42 PM
    I swear, some of these Odyssey 2 games look like they're becoming some strange, symbolic and abstract representation of a video game.
  5. 01-19-2020, 02:35 PM
    VOTING YES. Great evidence, John! This port doesnt give ya a whole lot of time to get the fly, eh? The awards and perils appear and disappear within 1 second. It looks like the O2 has a sprite limitation necessitating two separate screens for highway and river (?). Fascinating. Not a bad looking port, though, tbh.
    Thanks voodoo_chilly thanked this post
  6. 01-19-2020, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    VOTING YES. Great evidence, John! This port doesnt give ya a whole lot of time to get the fly, eh? The awards and perils appear and disappear within 1 second. It looks like the O2 has a sprite limitation necessitating two separate screens for highway and river (?). Fascinating. Not a bad looking port, though, tbh.
    Frogger was one of the first commercial arcade games I ever bought. It was a cassette for the Timex Sinclair 1000. It also had two screens, one turf and other for surf. But that was likely due to screen res and the character graphics. Could be a speed issue for the O2, too much crap moving around on one screen.
    Likes Garrett Holland, voodoo_chilly liked this post
  7. 01-20-2020, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    Yeah, I tried the fly at first and quickly changed to a "just clear the strategy".
    Most old systems used 6502 chips but not the Odyssey 2. It used an Intel 8048. I did hobby programming on C64 back in early 80s so don't know anything about programming the Intel 8048. Here is the tech data on the Odyssey 2 if this helps explain anything about sprite limitations you mention:

Technical specifications[edit]

• CPU

• Memory:

• Video:
      • Intel 8244 (NTSC) or 8245 (PAL) custom IC
      • 160×200 resolution (NTSC)
      • 16-color fixed palette; sprites may only use 8 of these colors
      • 4 8×8 single-color user-defined sprites; each sprite's color may be set independently
      • 12 8×8 single-color characters; must be one of the 64 shapes built into the ROM BIOS; can be freely positioned like sprites, but cannot overlap each other; each character's color may be set independently
      • 4 quad characters; groups of four characters displayed in a row
      • 9×8 background grid; dots, lines, or solid blocks

• Audio:
      • Intel 8244/8245 custom IC
      • mono
      • 24-bit shift register, clockable at 2 frequencies
      • noise generator
      • NOTE: There is only one 8244/8245 chip in the system, which performs both audio and video functions.

• Input:
      • Two 8-way, one-button, digital joysticks. In the first production runs of the Magnavox Odyssey and the Philips 7000, these were removable and replaceable; in later models, they were permanently attached to the console.
      • QWERTY-layout membrane keyboard
    John Marks
    Jupiter, FL
  8. 01-20-2020, 07:39 AM
    Accepted!!
  9. 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM
    Sweet Run. Accepted!

I just got lucky and found an Odyssey2 a few weeks ago. Still need to pick up a game for it tho lol
    Likes Rogerpoco, voodoo_chilly liked this post
  10. 01-20-2020, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 90skidJohnny View Post
    Sweet Run. Accepted!

I just got lucky and found an Odyssey2 a few weeks ago. Still need to pick up a game for it tho lol
    For some reason I can't really explain, Acrobats is probably my favorite O2 game(tho I'm not exceptionally good at it), highly recommended!

Hehe-This one should "leap" ya right into the top O2 spot, Man, Congrats!!!
    :P

Accepted!!!

Freaking weird-assed version of Frogger, to be sure...
    (Nothing is worse than 5200 Frogger tho…)
    This feels like a Good Day for a Great Day!!!
    Likes 90skidJohnny, voodoo_chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us