Minimum requirement to qualify as Arcade

1. Minimum requirement to qualify as Arcade

01-19-2020, 04:23 PM
    What is the minimum requirement for a system to qualify as 'Arcade' ?

That's the general question, but let me tell you what I am thinking of specifically: Can I take a set of original boards, send the video signal to a flat screen display, and wire up my own joysticks for input ?

I'm aware that eg Donkey Kong is very specific on the joystick, but that seems related to 4way restriction (or not). For 8way games does anything go for joysticks?
  2. 01-20-2020, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer View Post

That's the general question, but let me tell you what I am thinking of specifically: Can I take a set of original boards, send the video signal to a flat screen display, and wire up my own joysticks for input ?

I'm aware that eg Donkey Kong is very specific on the joystick, but that seems related to 4way restriction (or not). For 8way games does anything go for joysticks?
    Hi minimum is original PCB.

Screen and controls need not to be original as those are not most cases available.

I am busy restoring a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet with :
    - original Ms. Pac-Man Turbo PCB
    - JAMMA harness from PCB to Joystick Controls
    - Wiring Harness for Joystick and buttons bought from MikesArcade.com
    - Joystick (Tornado Terry)
    See Forum: http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/f...p?topic=7147.0
    https://tornadoterrys.com
    - My CRT monitor not repairable so I hookup LCD screen with JAMMA harness connector

I do not have original Pac-Man Joystick nor CRT but this setup is legally for a World Record.
    Last edited by francoisadt; 01-20-2020 at 10:27 PM.
  3. 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer View Post

People have done arcade submissions with Superguns and OSSCs and had them accepted accepted previously.

Some may take exception with you sitting down to play but those people aren't too bright :)
    Likes redelf liked this post
  4. 01-20-2020, 10:50 PM
    original pcb. track and field though is a famous special case where we need to see your hands, so it stands to reason the controls are going to be key too. so you get the principle there. i would imagine playing ddr with your fingers on a keyboard might get some controversy too. for the most part all that matters is the pcb, but theres always going to be corner cases where if the controls are really central to the game then there might be a case by case issue there.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
Join us