PlayStation 2 - Gran Turismo 4 - NTSC - Driving Missions - 18. 3 Lap Battle - Sarthe II [Fastest Completion] - 09:09.696 - Shaun Michaud

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. PlayStation 2 - Gran Turismo 4 - NTSC - Driving Missions - 18. 3 Lap Battle - Sarthe II [Fastest Completion] - 09:09.696 - Shaun Michaud

01-20-2020, 06:05 AM
    Vzaar Video Url:

NTSC - Driving Missions - 18. 3 Lap Battle - Sarthe II [Fastest Completion]
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=27329
    Rules
    Players MAY use their memory card so that they have access to any earned and unlocked tracks and cars, but use of your Home Garage cars is NOT ALLOWED.Wall Riding is prohibited. Wall Riding is the act of using a wall to manoeuvre around a corner instead of attempting the corner normally.

Submission Message
    Sarthe II is a pretty tough, technical track that has a long straightaway, back-to-back chicanes, and lots of sharp turns. This took may much longer than I thought it would to finish in first place while logging in 'clean' laps. From the replay (shown at the end of the video), it looks like I'm slightly out-of-bounds on two turns on the 1st lap. For every other turn, it looks like I've managed to keep at least two tires on the rumble strips.
    Interesting enough, the finish time of the AI differs quite a bit between PAL and NTSC. The Mercedes finishes around 9m 36s for the PAL and around 9m 15s for NTSC. I would expect some randomness for each race but 20 seconds is a huge difference. This is just an example that NTSC and PAL software may have difference. NTSC and PAL difference may extend beyond frame refresh rates (50mhz vs 60mhz).
    The best attempt starts at 14m 50s. An in-game replay of the race is included at the end of the video as supplemental evidence.

Likes Barthax, Rogerpoco liked this post
  2. 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM
    VOTING YES. Time is good!
    Results:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 29
Size:  384.8 KB
  3. 01-21-2020, 01:21 AM
    Congrats on the time. :)

Your replay highlights how difficult an "on the road" sort of ruling would be to implement.

As for the Sauber Mercedes, you did nudge it forward a couple of times & it would have had a little slipstream coming out of that corner. Nothing that would make up 20 seconds of difference but could account for a couple. A true test would be to repeatedly park up & see if the timing stays consistent between runs on the same machine - that would confirm if the RNG is influencing the driving.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Likes MyOwnWorstEnemy liked this post
  4. 01-21-2020, 03:58 AM
    Accepted!!
    Thanks MyOwnWorstEnemy thanked this post
  5. 01-22-2020, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Congrats on the time. :)

Your replay highlights how difficult an "on the road" sort of ruling would be to implement.
    Thanks - this was not an easy track and yes... tough to keep it on the pavement for the entire nine minutes.

I agree with you on this point. If such a rule was implemented, other specifics would need clarification besides what is defined as "on track". Is a replay required and if so, which one is the ideal perspective. Is an 'off track' violation a disqualification or time penalty and if the later, how would the penalty be determined. Lastly, does these distinct visual observations put too much pressure on the adjudicators under the current process. Basically, can you rely them to observe the 'entire' performance to catch these types of rule violations. IMO - it's not practical for multi-lap races but reasonable for single lap tracks. Of course, all of this could change with competition and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    As for the Sauber Mercedes, you did nudge it forward a couple of times & it would have had a little slipstream coming out of that corner. Nothing that would make up 20 seconds of difference but could account for a couple. A true test would be to repeatedly park up & see if the timing stays consistent between runs on the same machine - that would confirm if the RNG is influencing the driving.
    I observed and ran a few races to see how much the RNG changes the AI performance. For two observations, I parked the car off-road near the stop / finish line. For the other two observations, I lagged behind the leader (last and mid pack) to see if this changes the Mercedes AI car. The results were pretty consistent. The AI car finished the race within about 1 second all four times 9' 11s to 9' 12s.

I even compared Paul's performance with this submission. Interesting enough is that even though I was running quicker than Paul, he was able to pass the 2nd and 1st place cars much sooner than I. I'm convinced this game has nuance differences between PAL and NTSC software versions. This is not a statement that says one version is harder than the other but just subtle differences. I'm more advocating that a speed up PAL version of a game or slowed down NTSC version of the game may not be equivalent software to compete with the other regional version.
    Games lubricate the body and mind”
    ~Ben Franklin
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  6. 01-22-2020, 05:30 AM
    Here's the analysis...

Views: 19
Size:  22.8 KB
    Games lubricate the body and mind”
    ~Ben Franklin
  7. 01-22-2020, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnWorstEnemy View Post
    Here's the analysis...

Views: 19
Size:  22.8 KB
    Awesome. I know on the GT Concept (also PS2) games there were obvious differences: different cars. I believe (but can't remember) the US Gran Turismo 4 Prototype game had differences to the EU version so makes sense the main stream games would also have differences. I would, however, be surprised to find the GT5 had differences.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Likes MyOwnWorstEnemy liked this post
Join us