Bug reporting thread

1. 06-16-2020, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by omega175 View Post
    Hi, I've been complaining for about a year that I cannot get my account gaming stats back from the old system. Using "Claim Username" in the profile just gives PHP errors when I click it. Tried sending messages to admins, but when I tried to submit it just didn't work, including buttons, and I never got any info "message sent." When I finally thought it might have gone through, I never got any message from mods/admins back. Posted a thread on the forum about trying to get my account squared away, but didn't get any reply from mods/admins either. There is not much to get back, just my Omega Race high scores. The Omega175 I'm using now has a different User ID than the Omega175 high scores are posted with.

The overall website seems to be kinda clunky and the layout is counter-intuitive and things work just whenever they feel like. The whole thing should be streamlined for easier/faster accessibility.

Some quick examples: messy profile management (besides getting username back), lots of space wasted by too many layers and empty space on screen (need to scroll a lot - more and more useful info gets off the screen), the Forum is hidden under Community tab and many visitors don't even think about clicking it (put the link up front, so new users do not get lost, as they don't know where to ask questions), the forum itself looks very outdated and if you just look at the main page of it, you will see very few subjects per page (lots of scrolling, if you look for something) - each thread subject takes too much space vertically while still having lots of empty horizontal space left. Also, a Quick Reply box at the bottom of the thread would help (they already had these 20+ years ago on forums); the whole page seems to be loaded with tons of codes/scripts (many of them do not work) and make the whole site slow to browse. Honestly, it's just off-putting. I'm thinking twice before I come to visit this website, unfortunately.

Well, I understand that you may be understaffed and there is a limited budget to keep everything going. Someone needs to fix this website before you can think about getting more healthy traffic/submissions. For now I will be happy, if I can get my old account data back. With that said, wish you all the best.
    I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. If you ever need help, please tag me in the post and I will be able to check it out.

The claim username bug is something that we definitely need to fix. It effects users who were a part of the old Twin Galaxies. For some reason the system has added an extra space between the first and last name making it unable for the system to pick up.

You scores:https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?player=43902
    Have been linked to your profile.

As for the rest of the site, it is a work in progress in both design and optimization.

The forum is purposely hidden because actually a retired social area of the site that was brought back as a courtesy for those who consistently requested it. We urge all users to utilize the wall area for conversation and visibility.
    Thanks omega175 thanked this post
  2. 06-16-2020, 10:15 PM
    Hi Franny,
    Thanks a bunch for your help. I'm very glad this thing got ironed out:). My account doesn't look so empty now:).

About the layout I mentioned earlier. I usually use 110%-125% zoom on websites with my 27" 1080p screen, but for the sake of checking out how this page is formatted I switched back to 100%. In this view, about 1/3 of the horizontal space gets unused. If I zoom in to 175% (that I never use), the page would reshuffle to fit all the stuff horizontally (so there is no need for horizontal scrolling). Too bad that the page got hard-coded to the 2/3 of the full HD screen. It actually looks that it is formatted to the very old 4:3 (full screen) type of displays. The only use for these 4:3 is for older gaming (as everybody knows), especially these harder to find 1600x1200 screens. Majority of screens, including laptops, are 16:9, so I would suggest getting the page format changed to what pretty much everyone is using these days. Simply allowing the page to stretch to user's sides of the screen would allow to see more content at one time (some testing would be needed to check the formatting at 1440p, 2K and 4K (including 21:9 ultrawides)).

When I think about it, it is possible that it is just a setting that got omitted, as your top bar is fully stretched to the sides and the skin slider is in the top right corner. Maybe just finding and setting that one option that configures the body to "fit to screen" (like the top already is) would fix many visual problems this page has right now. Also, I would suggest making smaller size of font for the titles in the body (such as "Your Message", "Additional Options", etc.). These mostly empty bars with big titles take a lot of desktop area as well.

Another suggestion I have is to move the Twin Galaxies logo to the left of the Tab frame (Home, News, Wall Feed, etc.). You can even make the logo a little bit smaller to fit in the current height of the frame. Everyone already knows that they are on a Twin Galaxies site ;). Look at a Youtube page and their small logo. That is more than enough. Right now that logo bar is taking about 1/7 of the screen vertically (wasted real estate). That is especially annoying when it's a persistent frame when you scroll down. When you move the logo, your persistent frame will be shrunk by 2/3!
    The skin setting slide can then be moved to the same frame and stay on the far right of the screen (behind the username).

About the forum and the Wall Feed... I think Wall Feed is a nice addition, but most of the websites still prefer a usual forum with couple of sub-forums, where you can put all the useful info for new members (to use Wiki you have to go almost offsite). The Wall Feed is jammed with 100s of different subjects and it's hard to scroll through it, as you can see most of the post. This is fine for quick updates and short announcements, but longer subjects get fragmented/lost. Maybe having an option to configure (check the specific option) the subject of the post (i.e. "Score Submission", "Streaming Announcements", "News", "Buy/Sell", etc. would copy the thread from the Wall Feed to the forum as well? I do not suggest making too many sub-forums, as it would get too fragmented and people would click less to get to each one (less replies), but maybe making something like:
    - "Admin Announcements"
    - "News"
    - "New Members Check in Here" with all the rules pinned and a chance for new members to post to introduce themselves and tell their story (if they feel like it)
    - "General" sub-forum that we already have (maybe even highlight it (make in bold letters))
    - "Score Submission" sub-forum (this should be at least copied from the Wall Feed) - keep this somewhere up top, as what's this site is made for
    - "Buy/Sell" subforum (careful with this one)
    - "Help" sub-forum, where people can ask for help with something, including hardware (pin a link to Site Info--> Help and Tutorials (just found this one lol)) and any other sub-forums needed to make this site run properly; Help sub-forum is usually the last thing listed

Well, that's just a general suggestion. You could even ask the members what they would prefer. Don't forget, you have many "old timers," but I never thought a forum would be an outdated form of communication. If anything, it gives you more flexibility.

I think this would tidy up the page and would make the website more user friendly. For now, if you could try fixing the page layout, that would be such a great improvement and easier on the eye:). Also, the dark theme is not persistent and certain pages still show the retina burning white pages (for example players' high scores, General Forum page (the slide is there, but it does nothing)). Adding extra color schemes, such as blue shades, green shades, etc. would spiffy up the page as well. Maybe color scheme skin submission by users is a way to go? Keep your users active and more interactive ;).
    Wish you all the best and thanks again for your help,
    Mark
    Last edited by omega175; 06-16-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    Thanks SincerelyFranny thanked this post
  3. 06-17-2020, 12:15 AM
    The top menu bar jumping down, after it has scrolled away, is really annoying. It should either just stay away or stay in place. I prefer it stays away, since it takes too much screen space. At least only the menu itself, without the area above it, should remain, once it has reached the top. Either way, the important part is for it to not jump.

Youtube video of problem:
    Last edited by jesperoland; 06-17-2020 at 12:20 AM.
    Thanks GibGirl thanked this post
  4. 06-17-2020, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SincerelyFranny View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. If you ever need help, please tag me in the post and I will be able to check it out.

The claim username bug is something that we definitely need to fix. It effects users who were a part of the old Twin Galaxies. For some reason the system has added an extra space between the first and last name making it unable for the system to pick up.

You scores:https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?player=43902
    Have been linked to your profile.
    @SincerelyFranny , since you can do this manually, can you also check in with @goochman about doing the same for him? He mentioned in this dispute (https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...=1#post1083642) that he's wanted to get them connected. Thanks!
  5. 06-17-2020, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    @SincerelyFranny, since you can do this manually, can you also check in with @goochman about doing the same for him? He mentioned in this dispute (https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...=1#post1083642) that he's wanted to get them connected. Thanks!
    @SincerelyFranny, let me know if there is anything you need from me to fix this. Thanks @GibGirl
    Goochman
    TG Senior Adviser Atari 800/XL/XE '03-'08
    TG Colecovision/Intellivision Referee '98-'03
  6. 06-17-2020, 09:56 AM
    Hello.
    I am from Brazil - Sao Paulo and SMS user validation does not work.
    I inform my phone number and it always appears as an invalid number.

Thank you
    Joca
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks Pixe Sukola thanked this post
  7. 06-17-2020, 10:02 AM
    the ignore feature is fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by EVN View Post
    Is the ignore feature broken? get this on my wall:

Attachment 107020
  8. 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goochman View Post
    @SincerelyFranny, let me know if there is anything you need from me to fix this. Thanks @GibGirl
    Your scores have been linked. :)
    Thanks GibGirl, goochman thanked this post
  9. 06-17-2020, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JocaTavareS View Post
    Hello.
    I am from Brazil - Sao Paulo and SMS user validation does not work.
    I inform my phone number and it always appears as an invalid number.

Thank you
    Joca
    Please send me an email ---> Franny@twingalaxies.com

We can work out a time where I can contact you over the phone.
  10. 06-17-2020, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SincerelyFranny View Post
    Your scores have been linked. :)
    I notice I can see his scores on his profile page, but clicking on his name on a track leaderboard goes to the score list page and not his profile? Not sure where that needs to be fixed, or does it fix itself later on?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Join us